SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-23-21, 08:00 PM   #3301
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Always follow orders, and not the artwork... but yes, will look into that. Thanks.

What boat, and do you know what conning tower you had previously?
Sargo - copied from ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc
[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1]
ID=SargoConningSlot
NameDisplayable=Conning Tower Mount
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=SargoConningTower
ExternalNodeName3D=Z01
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault1=19000101,19420430,S argoConningEarlyWar -
Old One
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault2=19420501,19421231,S argoConningMedWar - New One
Do you happen to know which new conn you got?

IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault2=19420501,19421231,S argoConningMedWar - New One

and what was the date?
CurrentDate=1942-08-10 05:28:15

Quote:
Thanks. My guess would be that the information is in the Save folder, but probably in the binary files, because I have never seen mention of conning by any of the names used in the upc files... - It might be mentioned in the career track... ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc??
This IS the Save folder. SH4 combines the Submarine.UPC and the Unitparts_Submarine.UPC and Crewmembers.UPC (and several other files) to create the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc which is used during the mission(s).

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 08:20 PM   #3302
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

where is it getting that "space" character from?... Here is the UnitParts entry:
[UnitPart 2]
ID= SargoConningMedWar
Type= SargoConningTower
NameDisplayable= Half-cut Conning Tower
UnitPartInterval=1942-05-01, 1942-12-31
ExternalLinkName3D= data/objects/Conning_Gato_02
Notice the Half-cut is a Gato tower? That's what flaminus was pointing out previously. Under "normal" circumstances, which for me anymore is "testing", it works doing that, and has for several years. The substitution was done years ago, most likely due to occlusion issues with the Sargo02 skin, near as we can tell now... we are currently testing with the proper conn in-place with a new skin set-up. I have had the towers screw-up the radar upgrades, but never the other way around... Can you go back to the office and put the radar back on the shelf and try again?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 11:37 PM   #3303
Comder
Commander

Downloads: 83
Uploads: 0

Propbeanie,

I am good at computers, OS's, files, and trouble shooting. I am a little shy on the multi Medea things. 1) not sure where to upload the file and 2) not sure how to PM you since I have never used PM. I just do not due much on line other than games. Those I generally play in single mode. So please instruct me on this

Thank you

Comder

Asus ROG Strix Scar G732LXS-XS99
I9 10th GEN, 32gb MEM, RX2080 8GB nvidia, 2TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro

Warship? What warship?
Comder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-21, 02:02 AM   #3304
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comder View Post
Propbeanie,

I am good at computers, OS's, files, and trouble shooting. I am a little shy on the multi Medea things. 1) not sure where to upload the file and 2) not sure how to PM you since I have never used PM. I just do not due much on line other than games. Those I generally play in single mode. So please instruct me on this

Thank you

Comder
Can go with either mediafire or mega, know that 1 of those offers a free profile for uploading files.. and not 100% sure but think the other may offer a free profile, as well.

Perhaps someone else can confirm that...

Know that with of those, I did an upload of My save folder when I got hit with 'High Noon' gauges issue a bit back with the latest version ( v1.46) of FotRS, Comder, so that propbeanie could get a look see to find out what possibly led to that gauges stuck issue.

Hope this info helps...

M. M.

Old 05-24-21, 06:31 AM   #3305
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

Quote:
The substitution was done years ago, most likely due to occlusion issues with the Sargo02 skin, near as we can tell now... we are currently testing with the proper conn in-place with a new skin set-up. I have had the towers screw-up the radar upgrades, but never the other way around...
Ahoy PB, As far as i see, the Sargo02 tower has no occlusion map issue in FotRSU 1.46, while the Tambor02 tower has that problem. If we restore the occlusion maps of STOCK game, that will be fixed too.

As to the "screw-up" of radar, after changing the code in "UnitParts6Sargo.upc", perhaps editing "NSS_Sargo.upc" and "UpgradePacks.upc" like below would help (if you are too busy to check the changes in the files). After a few days of test, all the things go well, we can have right tower and radar when career starts and we can also get radar upgrade smoothly:

Code:
[UserPlayerUnit 1.UpgradePackSlot 1]
ID= UpgSurfaceSearchRadar
NameDisplayable= Surface Search Radar
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=ShaftSurfaceRadars, ShaftSurfaceRadarsImp, SupportedSurfaceRadars, SupportedSurfaceRadarsImp, DummyRadar
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlots= EqSlot42, EqSlot43, SurfRadarAntenna
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= 1942-06-01, 1942-12-31, SJ Radar Model II
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault2= 1943-01-01, 1943-05-31, SJ Radar Model I
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault3= 1943-06-01, 1944-12-31, SJ-1 Improved Radar Model I
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault4= 1945-01-01, NULL, ST Radar
Code:
[UpgradePack 4]
ID= SJ Radar Model I
NameDisplayable= SJ Radar (Supported Mount)
[UpgradePack 5]
ID= SJ-1 Improved Radar Model I 
NameDisplayable= SJ-1 Radar (Supported Mount)
[UpgradePack 8]
ID= SJ Radar Model II
NameDisplayable= SJ Radar (Shaft Mount)
[UpgradePack 9]
ID= SJ-1 Improved Radar Model II 
NameDisplayable= SJ-1 Radar (Shaft Mount)

Last edited by flaminus; 05-24-21 at 06:40 AM.
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-21, 08:18 AM   #3306
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
where is it getting that "space" character
that is a copy-paste thing caused by the forum-app. you/i cannot do a thing about it. in reality there is no space: Default1=19000101,19420430,SargoConningEarlyWar

Quote:
from?... Here is the UnitParts entry:
[UnitPart 2]
ID= SargoConningMedWar
Type= SargoConningTower
NameDisplayable= Half-cut Conning Tower
UnitPartInterval=1942-05-01, 1942-12-31
ExternalLinkName3D= data/objects/Conning_Gato_02
Notice the Half-cut is a Gato tower?
didn't notice that previously but now i do.
i also noticed that there are no dotTGA files in the designated folder. what is up with that?
data/Submarine/NSS_Sargo/NSS_Sargo_O01.tga
this is true for all of the boats...none has dotTGA files.
so, where are they hiding?

Quote:
That's what flaminus was pointing out previously. Under "normal" circumstances it works doing that, and has for several years. The substitution was done years ago, most likely due to occlusion issues with the Sargo02 skin, near as we can tell now... we are currently testing with the proper conn in-place with a new skin set-up. I have had the towers screw-up the radar upgrades, but never the other way around... Can you go back to the office and put the radar back on the shelf and try again?
loading the Save folder without making adjustments to any equipment and then starting the next patrol made no difference. it still gave a CTD almost immediately after clicking on the map.

LAA enabled
Old 05-24-21, 08:21 AM   #3307
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Propbeanie,

Thank you

Comder
since you are a member, you are eligible to Upload files to the Download forum, i believe.

send a personal message to Onkel Neal requesting Upload privileges and that should do it for you.

LAA enabled
Old 05-24-21, 09:35 AM   #3308
propbeanie

Quote:
Propbeanie,

I'll send you a PM, which will then show in the upper-right of the SubSim page, where it shows "Ahoy, Comder. You last visited... Private Messages: Unread:..." etc - You could then use the "Reply" function in that. As MM points out, there are several services that would love to have your email address to send you junk mail in exchange for 2-10g of temporary online storage space. I use thow-a-way email addresses for most of mine. DropBox is another, as is MediaFire, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Apple iCloud, etc. though those four are rather "snoopy". I don't know about the others. Most of mine right now are Google Drive, but I used to use MediaFire and DropBox quite a bit, but both have reduced their "free" storage space as of late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminus View Post
Ahoy PB, As far as i see, the Sargo02 tower has no occlusion map issue in FotRSU 1.46, while the Tambor02 tower has that problem. If we restore the occlusion maps of STOCK game, that will be fixed too.

As to the "screw-up" of radar, after changing the code in "UnitParts6Sargo.upc", perhaps editing "NSS_Sargo.upc" and "UpgradePacks.upc" like below would help (if you are too busy to check the changes in the files). After a few days of test, all the things go well, we can have right tower and radar when career starts and we can also get radar upgrade smoothly:

Code:
[UserPlayerUnit 1.UpgradePackSlot 1]
ID= UpgSurfaceSearchRadar
NameDisplayable= Surface Search Radar
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=ShaftSurfaceRadars, ShaftSurfaceRadarsImp, SupportedSurfaceRadars, SupportedSurfaceRadarsImp, DummyRadar
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlots= EqSlot42, EqSlot43, SurfRadarAntenna
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= 1942-06-01, 1942-12-31, SJ Radar Model II
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault2= 1943-01-01, 1943-05-31, SJ Radar Model I
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault3= 1943-06-01, 1944-12-31, SJ-1 Improved Radar Model I
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault4= 1945-01-01, NULL, ST Radar
Code:
[UpgradePack 4]
ID= SJ Radar Model I
NameDisplayable= SJ Radar (Supported Mount)
[UpgradePack 5]
ID= SJ-1 Improved Radar Model I 
NameDisplayable= SJ-1 Radar (Supported Mount)
[UpgradePack 8]
ID= SJ Radar Model II
NameDisplayable= SJ Radar (Shaft Mount)
[UpgradePack 9]
ID= SJ-1 Improved Radar Model II 
NameDisplayable= SJ-1 Radar (Shaft Mount)
The radar isn't so much a screw-up, as it is a "requirement" of the player to do well enough to qualify for a new conning tower. However, there-in lies the rub - it is difficult to get a conning tower upgrade, since the qualifications are the same as for being awarded a new boat - but, you can't have a new boat available at the time, and / or as KaleunMarco did, you refuse the new boat, and hope you do well the next patrol and are still "qualified" upon return. That does not always work either... We have been working our ways through the various upc related files for the last several updates of FotRSU, getting things in line for changes - but we were targeting the Tambor, and hadn't noticed the Salmon / Sargo was a substitute also, until you pointed that out. I don't know how close my previous edits are to yours above, but I do know that we have not changed the radar set-ups as of yet, since we just managed to get most of the upgrades in that to function as they were laying previoiusly. A lot of further testing is required before we attempt to dive into that area. As of right now though, a Windows Update has completely taken SH4 out on both of my desktops, and I am trying to figure-out why that has happened. I can see the Insider computer having trouble, but the other computer is a purchased copy of Windows 10. I have not finished going through all of the settings on either computer yet to see where my issue(s) with that are yet... sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
that is a copy-paste thing caused by the forum-app. you/i cannot do a thing about it. in reality there is no space: Default1=19000101,19420430,SargoConningEarlyWar

didn't notice that previously but now i do.
i also noticed that there are no dotTGA files in the designated folder. what is up with that?

loading the Save folder without making adjustments to any equipment and then starting the next patrol made no difference. it still gave a CTD almost immediately after clicking on the map.
OK, so no space, gotch. Look at your IDxx # then, and see what mission you've been assigned...

Old 05-24-21, 11:51 AM   #3309
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco

Quote:
OK, so no space, gotch. Look at your IDxx # then, and see what mission you've been assigned.
From CareerTrack.Upc
PlayerCurrentObjectiveCode=Philippines
PlayerCurrentObjectives=ID410
PatrolStartDateTime=1942-08-29 20:28:15

From PatrolObjectives.Cfg
[Section 410]
ID=ID410
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Insertion Spy Philippines 05/Insertion Spy Philippines 05.mis
StartDate=19420608
EndDate=19441015
GameModes=Career
AllMatch=Philippines

Where do the dotTGA files reside?

LAA enabled
Old 05-24-21, 05:56 PM   #3310
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
... Where do the dotTGA files reside?
I forgot that one didn't I? It's really quite simple... there are none...

However, the game sees the file name, finds a file of the same name, and uses it, ignoring the extension. So, to the game, NSS_Sargo_O01.dds is NSS_Sargo_O01.tga

Strange thing is, you cannot use a dds file in a specific call, hence the tga naming... Clear as mucky muck muck mud?... lol

As for the mission, I will do that here next... I just got SH4 to run on the big computer after the last update... Windows is still trying to stretch the game's vid stream to fit the display, even though it doesn't have to... I have all of that turned off (supposedly) in the game's Properties page, but Windows, like SH4, is once again ignoring the user's request...

Old 05-24-21, 07:16 PM   #3311
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

However, the game sees the file name, finds a file of the same name, and uses it, ignoring the extension. So, to the game, NSS_Sargo_O01.dds is NSS_Sargo_O01.tga

Strange thing is, you cannot use a dds file in a specific call, hence the tga naming... Clear as mucky muck muck mud?
yes, clear as Hungarian program design.

i installed something called DDS Viewer years ago and it launches but it will NOT open any of the boat.dds files.
perhaps because they are not dds but tga?

LAA enabled
Old 05-24-21, 07:23 PM   #3312
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

Strange thing is, you cannot use a dds file in a specific call, hence the tga naming... Clear as mucky muck muck mud?... lol

i got Gimp to open one of those Sub.DDS files that is not really a DDS file and what i saw reminded me of a bad trip during college.
so, this must be one of those file formats that has sub-formats defined inside?

what in the he!! is this?

LAA enabled
Old 05-24-21, 09:10 PM   #3313
Comder
Commander

Good Evening Gentlemen,

Thank you all for you pointers.
I believe I have got the file to Propbeanie

Thanks again

Comder

Windows 10 Pro

Warship? What warship?
Old 05-25-21, 12:27 AM   #3314
Comder
Commander

Good Evening Gentlemen,

Propbeanie, I believe the cause of the problem was my own doing. I thought to check the flotillas.upc file. I found that when I added the objects under the Titan, I had copy and pasted, I forgot to make sure the objectives number matched the ID= obj number. So from objective 9 on they where not equal. I believe I was driving the campaign insane. The game must simply have not known what to do. I do believe this will support the idea not to edit files late at night and you are tired. I am going to delete my save folder and re start a campaign. I am thinking it will go better. Thank you for your assistance.

thanks

Comder

Windows 10 Pro

Warship? What warship?
Old 05-25-21, 04:20 AM   #3315
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
As for the mission, I will do that here next... I just got SH4 to run on the big computer after the last update... Windows is still trying to stretch the game's vid stream to fit the display, even though it doesn't have to... I have all of that turned off (supposedly) in the game's Properties page, but Windows, like SH4, is once again ignoring the user's request...

check your PM.
i sent you the Save Folder for the CTD.
not sure why i didn't send it earlier.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU 1.46\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.46_EN
200 Nippon_Maru_v1.2

LAA enabled