SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-17-17, 06:43 AM   #1
Krieg Francis
Medic

Downloads: 226
Uploads: 0
Default (FIXED) Messed up charts and GUI (again T_T)

Hello everyone.
I just came back to SH5 after some time and installed TWOS 2.0 mod (everything was done correctly).
When I start the game and go in the hangar for the first time though, my screen is all messed up. It looks like Charts and GUI have some compatibility issue that shows them completely black. I can't even put them off with a key, half of the screen is black and no buttons to disable them are shown.
See here ---> http://imgur.com/a/Fws0X

I remember having this issue already and at that time I have solved it by changing compatibility to Windows 7/8, but this time it didn't work. I have also installed Directx9 as shown in the FAQ but nothing changed.
My game is not the Steam Version.

Can you help me?

Short specs:
Windows 10
2.0ghz processor
8GB Ram
for SH4

Last edited by Krieg Francis; 05-18-17 at 01:46 AM.
Krieg Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 08:35 AM   #2
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Administration rights?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 01:45 AM   #3
Krieg Francis
Medic

Downloads: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Administration rights?
Always on.

Found a fix myself after a couple of hours: I had set the desktop shortcut with admin rights and win7 compatibility, but it didn't affect the .exe itself. Setting the .exe in the game folder fixed the whole thing!
for SH4
Krieg Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-17, 08:05 PM   #4
GeneralDeath99
Seaman

Downloads: 142

So after you checked the "Run this program as an administrator" and the "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7" in the SH5.exe application in your SH5 folder, your game no longer had the black box in the corner or those smaller ones in the middle of your screen?

I've done the same thing and even installed/updated Directx9 but it seems to still be there.

Running a non-steam version, downloaded the game correctly and everything. including the mod pack. Literally having the same problem in the first post you mentioned, just cant seem to find a way to fix it.

Also, yes i ran the desktop short cut as administrator

Any other suggestions?

Thank you
GeneralDeath99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 12:56 AM   #5
xLordZero
Swabbie

Downloads: 16

I'm having the same problem.... I've lost count of how many times I reinstalled sh5 while trying different suggested solutions, and it's still broken.
xLordZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 01:50 AM   #6
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Hi XlordZero
Your game is updated to the latest version v1.2.0 ?

Last edited by hauangua; 07-17-17 at 02:05 AM.
hauangua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 02:22 AM   #7
xLordZero
Swabbie

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauangua View Post
Hi XlordZero
Your game is updated to the latest version v1.2.0 ?
Yes. v1.2.0

1. It's outside the program files.
2. Download DirectX9.0c June 2010.
3. "Run as Administrator" check.

I'm running windows 7.

My mods are:

TWoS 2.0
TWoS 2.0.4 update
Enigma
Real Nav
Start with Type VIIB
Campaign Advance Verifier Testing
DeckGun Friendly Waves
TWoS FX_Reduc. Fires and Expl._Incr. Flooding via Zones
Glass Covered GUI Dials
xLordZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 02:47 AM   #8
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLordZero View Post
Yes. v1.2.0

1. It's outside the program files.
2. Download DirectX9.0c June 2010.
3. "Run as Administrator" check.

I'm running windows 7.

My mods are:

TWoS 2.0
TWoS 2.0.4 update
Enigma
Real Nav
Start with Type VIIB
Campaign Advance Verifier Testing
DeckGun Friendly Waves
TWoS FX_Reduc. Fires and Expl._Incr. Flooding via Zones
Glass Covered GUI Dials
I believe you have just simple installation problem... My advice (personal advice)

-checking 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings' in the compatibility tab
- now start game if again problem...
Uninstall SH5
Clean with C Cleaner.. (clean registry need)
Reinstall

Last edited by hauangua; 07-17-17 at 04:37 AM.
hauangua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-18, 11:56 AM   #9
VikingSail
Watch

Downloads: 40

Glad to know that I'm not the only one.
I have the same issue after applying TWoS mod.

Game is running the correct version. Followed every step in the installation instruction. Using only the TWoS mod (both the mod and the 2.1.2 patch).

Started a new campaign - loading screen - started in the bunker - and saw exactly the same as the screenshot in the first post.

How did you guys solve it?
VikingSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-18, 12:08 PM   #10
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

It should go away if you set your scaling options to Fullscreen with GPU as I do.
The only thing I set for SH5.exe are 'Start as Admin', nothing else. No trouble to mention with TWoS (Win7 x64, 16Gb RAM, GTX 960 4GB VRAM).
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-18, 03:36 PM   #11
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > VikingSail
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below

Total Black Screen > Sound No Picture > Picture No Sound Fixes < Windows 10 Creator Version Fixes
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-18, 05:45 PM   #12
VikingSail
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
It should go away if you set your scaling options to Fullscreen with GPU as I do.
The only thing I set for SH5.exe are 'Start as Admin', nothing else. No trouble to mention with TWoS (Win7 x64, 16Gb RAM, GTX 960 4GB VRAM).
Hello XenonSurf, thanks for your quick reply. A few hours later I'm still struggling with this problem.

Can you explain to me where exactly do to set the scaling options to fullscreen with GPU?

=======EDIT===========

I came across this post you posted a while ago: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...45&postcount=9

Unfortunately I'm using a laptop with nvidia graphics card. I don't have the full options in a desktop nvidia control panel. What else can I do?
Old 01-22-18, 06:45 PM   #13
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingSail View Post
Hello XenonSurf, thanks for your quick reply. A few hours later I'm still struggling with this problem.

Can you explain to me where exactly do to set the scaling options to fullscreen with GPU?

=======EDIT===========

I came across this post you posted a while ago: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...45&postcount=9

Unfortunately I'm using a laptop with nvidia graphics card. I don't have the full options in a desktop nvidia control panel. What else can I do?
Hi VickingSail,
If you have an NVidia card (or else), then right-click on your desktop: you should see 'NVidia Control Panel' with a green icon in the pop-up text, or a setup program for your grafics card.
If you don't , you must then go in the grafic settings via the Start > System Control > Hardware & Sound, where a program for your grafic card should be located as an icon. This is present on any computer system AFAIK.
You can set there the resolution, the 3D settings, the video settings etc. and also scaling options.

The scaling options are usually 'Centered' 'Aspect Ratio' and 'Fullscreen'. The default setting is 'Aspect Ratio done by Display' which is good for 99% of launched programs or games. For SH5 it has been reported to give better results when changing it from 'Display' to 'GPU' , adn also from 'Aspect Ratio' to 'Fullscreen' , which means your card will scale the grafics if necessary. (Same for SH3 btw).

Unfortunately, this is only a possible solution for your problem, but for what I read elsewhere this is mainly the cause, also Windows Creators can interfere badly with SH5.

Also permit me to say that a laptop with a non-dedicated grafics card may just not deliver enough RAM for running smoothly SH5. Also TWoS has additional requirements...

I hope this gives you something to start your troubleshooting, also google on the net for 'grafic artefacts', 'distorted grafics' etc. you may find some useful articles or forum replies.

Good luck,

Last edited by XenonSurf; 01-22-18 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 07:26 PM   #14
VikingSail
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Hi VickingSail,
If you have an NVidia card (or else), then right-click on your desktop: you should see 'NVidia Control Panel' with a green icon in the pop-up text, or a setup program for your grafics card.
If you don't , you must then go in the grafic settings via the Start > System Control > Hardware & Sound, where a program for your grafic card should be located as an icon. This is present on any computer system AFAIK.
You can set there the resolution, the 3D settings, the video settings etc. and also scaling options.

The scaling options are usually 'Centered' 'Aspect Ratio' and 'Fullscreen'. The default setting is 'Aspect Ratio done by Display' which is good for 99% of launched programs or games. For SH5 it has been reported to give better results when changing it from 'Display' to 'GPU' , adn also from 'Aspect Ratio' to 'Fullscreen' , which means your card will scale the grafics if necessary. (Same for SH3 btw).

Unfortunately, this is only a possible solution for your problem, but for what I read elsewhere this is mainly the cause, also Windows Creators can interfere badly with SH5.

Also permit me to say that a laptop with a non-dedicated grafics card may just not deliver enough RAM for running smoothly SH5. Also TWoS has additional requirements...

I hope this gives you something to start your troubleshooting, also google on the net for 'grafic artefacts', 'distorted grafics' etc. you may find some useful articles or forum replies.

Good luck,
Thank you. After hours of digging around I think I'm going to the right direction.
Let me explain my situation: I have a laptop with an Optimus system (2 graphics card: an Intel integrated one that comes with the CPU and a nVidia dedicated one). In this case, the scaling doesn't show up in the nVidia control panel - it is dictated by the Intel graphics and the nVidia one will just act the same as what you set in the Intel Graphics Setting.

The settings in the Intel Graphics is a bit different - they are not one to one as you listed in the nVidia CP ( 'Centered' 'Aspect Ratio' and 'Fullscreen'). I think I need to test them out one by one and see which one actually works - assuming that this IS indeed the reason why I was having this: https://imgur.com/a/Fws0X
Old 01-22-18, 07:42 PM   #15
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

@VickingSail,

When you go to your Documents\SH5 folder, open main.cfg and look under [video]. You should see something like that (my settings).

[VIDEO]
AntialiasingLevel=0; 0=none, 1=non-maskable, 2=2x, 4=4x, ...
;Resolution=1024,768,60,22; commented so, at first, it starts with the desktop resolution (on release version)
;FullScreen=Yes
Synchronized=Yes
FullScreen=No
Resolution=1920,1080,60,22

It's possible that the game goes with your Intel Grafics and not with your dedicated card, unfortunately there is nothing in the setting files that says which card the game uses. I would try to switch off the Intel Grafics so the game must use your dedicated card. Just an idea.
Go in the Game Options and set again your grafics to max. to rewrite them correctly if they differ from above, especially the resolution. From my settings I just see that I'm not playing in fullscreen but in windowed mode filling all the screen. I didn't know that, this could make a sensible difference in the rendering.