SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-02-23, 04:31 PM   #1
SiXesWM
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default War on the Sea - Need help calculating torpedo shots

Hello everybody.

I just recently picked up War on the Sea to play and I've been having trouble firing torpedoes manually. I personally like to do the maths to it and manual shoot, building up solution passively then shooting is lame.

The problem is, I am missing 90% of my shots.

Recently, I went to the internet to check the Dick O' Kane method, but I could not find any comprehensive guide to its actual mathematics, only people talking about what they did or didn't do while using the method.

I also found a video of a guy playing the game and using the method to fire torpedoes, but in his video, he does not explain how the maths are done, and instead tells his viewers to look for the "Dick O' Kane method calculator" on the internet. The problem is: I cannot find any damn calculators nor anyone teaching the formula for it.

Is someone able to help?
SiXesWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-23, 02:17 PM   #2
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 140

I never played “War on the Sea”. However, my advice is learn to shoot simply. Learn to stalk and develop a sense of what happening upstairs using your periscope briefly. Practice estimating the Angle on the Bow (AOB). Learn how to estimate your target speed, distance, and heading without using gadgets. Study the “Torpedo triangle” and the “Law of Sines” and how it is applied to the triangle to calculate the deflection angle. Once your understand this you will understand Dick O Kane" and all the other methods. Lastly, know your boat: How fast it submerges, runs on the surface and below. Know your torpedo types , their speeds, ranges, and quirks .

Last edited by Vox165; 10-04-23 at 05:31 AM.
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-23, 03:43 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

SiXesWM!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-23, 07:18 PM   #4
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Check the SH4 forum. There you will find some nice tutorials on the different methods including some printable cue cards

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=221540