SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-21-13, 09:05 AM   #31
SkyBaron
Lieutenant

Downloads: 673
Uploads: 2

Sorry guys for the lack of update. Real life got in the way as always, it will take a while longer for release.

The M4 machine is already implemented in-game. It works as it's supposed to. It still needs a little more fine-tuning; I still need to change all campaign messages to their abbreviated form; add some more messages; write a tutorial on the Kenngruppen procedure and start beta testing on different SH5 installations before release.

I'm currently busy in RL and don't have much free time to devote to the mod. As soon as I get back to it I'll make an announcement here and start looking for beta-testers.

Here's a short video showing the machine in game. Be sure to watch it in full-screen/HD.

It shows the setting up of the inner and outer configuration based on the day's cypher net settings; recovering the message key from the header(in this case it was "LHKF") and decoding the rest of the message.

Why would I go to all the trouble of writing this thread, take screenshots, explain the mod, etc if the mod was a "fake" like someone said?? It makes no sense.

Just have some patience.

SkyBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 09:35 AM   #32
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Hi SkyBaron,

thank you for the outstanding news and for the promising video. Hats off

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBaron View Post
Why would I go to all the trouble of writing this thread, take screenshots, explain the mod, etc if the mod was a "fake" like someone said?? It makes no sense.
Maybe KarlSteiner meant that, thogh obvioulsy looking real, your screenies could have been assembled in photoshop just for previewing purposes.

I only hope he din't mean that you could have been cheating, because it really makes no sense

Quote:
Just have some patience.
Take all the time you need
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 12:15 PM   #33
Sartoris
Captain

Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0

Love it!

This should add a lot to the atmosphere.
Sartoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 12:22 PM   #34
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

nice video and work
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 02:38 PM   #35
Glock30Eric
Ru$

Downloads: 20

AWESOME!!!
Old 07-21-13, 03:43 PM   #36
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Fantastic video

Brings me few thought, though
Will it work with french azerty keyboards?
Will it work with others language menu?
Will it work with others UIs?
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 05:46 PM   #37
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Are you running the game windowed or full screen? Something tells me you're running it Windowed I have an Enigma simulator that looks very familiar to yours. Did you design yours or is it someone else's?

There are two reasons why I ask:
- to be able to use it to pass messages to it
- if there's an API for it

Just a little FYI there is a special color for Engima coded messages with my UIs mod. I believe the color is yellow IIRC.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-13, 02:42 PM   #38
SkyBaron
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Fantastic video

Brings me few thought, though
Will it work with french azerty keyboards?
Will it work with others language menu?
Will it work with others UIs?

This is exactly why I need to beta-test it first! I'm not sure but I believe it works with different languages/keyboards. This version is compatible only with TDW's UI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Are you running the game windowed or full screen? Something tells me you're running it Windowed

It works in both windowed and full screen modes. The simulation was implemented using Python, SH5's menu editor and A LOT of trial and error. There's only one external .dll I created in C# to read the cypher codes,group lists, bigram tables, etc in text files. It works pretty much like any other UI page. The Enigma machine is made up mostly of buttons, hidden buttons and bmp arrays.

Quote:
I have an Enigma simulator that looks very familiar to yours. Did you design yours or is it someone else's?
For the decryption logic I adapted a 3-rotor Enigma simulator code I found online(there are tons of them), with the author's permission and credit of course, that's the only thing I didn't implement myself.

I designed all the UI graphics elements myself in PS based on pictures of the M4 Enigma (that was a lot of work for me, but I was on vacation then ). Like I stated on the first post, I based the layout and UI "flow"(click spot positions, opened cover/closed cover states, rotor positions, etc) on Dirk Rijmenants’ popular Enigma simulator. That's probably the one you're referring to. I contacted him before starting the UI layout and will credit his simulator as inspiration. He did have the code for his simulator but I didn't use any of it because I already had my own version implemented.

Anyway all Enigma simulations will be graphically similar at some point because they are simulating the same machine. He was also very helpful in helping me understand the Kriegsmarine deciphering procedure that is implemented in this mod.

Quote:
Just a little FYI there is a special color for Engima coded messages with my UIs mod. I believe the color is yellow IIRC.
I didn't know that. Do the messages need to be on a specific .txt file like the campaign ones?

Old 07-30-13, 12:16 PM   #39
DieReeperbahn
Henke

Downloads: 197
Uploads: 1

Very nice sim! Can't wait to use it.
Old 07-30-13, 04:51 PM   #40
KarlSteiner
Bosun

Downloads: 257

Quote:
Sorry guys for the lack of update. Real life got in the way as always, it will take a while longer for release.

The M4 machine is already implemented in-game. It works as it's supposed to. It still needs a little more fine-tuning; I still need to change all campaign messages to their abbreviated form; add some more messages; write a tutorial on the Kenngruppen procedure and start beta testing on different SH5 installations before release.

I'm currently busy in RL and don't have much free time to devote to the mod. As soon as I get back to it I'll make an announcement here and start looking for beta-testers.

Here's a short video showing the machine in game. Be sure to watch it in full-screen/HD.

It shows the setting up of the inner and outer configuration based on the day's cypher net settings; recovering the message key from the header(in this case it was "LHKF") and decoding the rest of the message.

Just have some patience.
Dear Skybaron,

I have seen your video about your ingame working Enigma.
So I will excuse my words about a fake. THe reason was, that I could not understand, that a man is able to do that. I hope you will accept the excuse the words about the fake rom an old 73yearsold Mariner.
So I whish you all the best for your very interesting work.

Best rgards
Karl

Last edited by KarlSteiner; 09-01-13 at 06:33 AM.
KarlSteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-13, 05:46 PM   #41
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlSteiner View Post
I have seen your video about your ingame working Enigma.
So I will excuse my words about a fake. THe reason was, that I could not understand, that a man is able to do that.
Yep, sometimes one refuses to believe a good news, even against evidences, out of fear to be disappointed
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-13, 03:37 AM   #42
SnipersHunter
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 201

Nice feature but are you going to do a german translation?

Last edited by SnipersHunter; 07-31-13 at 03:52 AM.
SnipersHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 02:39 PM   #43
SkyBaron
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlSteiner View Post
Dear Skybaron,

So I will excuse my words about a fake. THe reason was, that I could not understand, that a man is able to do that. I hope you will accept the excuse the words about the fake rom an old 73yearsold Mariner.
No problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipersHunter View Post
Nice feature but are you going to do a german translation?
Like I said in the first post:
Quote:
For historical accuracy and consistency, the terminology for settings, tables and documents will remain in the original German, but easy-to-follow instructions will be provided in English.
The messages will be the default ones in English that come with OHII. The little external app will allow modders to translate them if they wish to release a language update. I only speak English and Portuguese, so whoever wants to help translating the message and intructions into other languages will be welcome.

Old 08-03-13, 03:29 PM   #44
Sartoris
Captain

Downloads: 106

I really hope someone releases an update translating the messages to German, that would be amazing.
Sartoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-13, 06:38 AM   #45
KarlSteiner
Bosun

Downloads: 257
Default Ingame Enigma WIP

Hi Skybaron,

I hope you are well, so I am.
Can you tell us the status of your work in process,
thanks.

Best regards

Karl

P.S.:
But if its the work to much, I think. Maybe you can built a working Enigma, only without the additional features first.
KarlSteiner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enigma, sh5