SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-22, 12:12 PM   #16
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
A drive A: in a modern PC .

Which update for TMOverhauled v2.5 BH? The one that BH ask me for help testing too?

Never used multi on SH4, been always a TMO user and was waiting for the WW1 mod to go there.

Going to do the N clean instalation again

Edit: oki. My new PC is trolling me. I did a clean install and the game loaded fine. Vanilla stock 1.0 Vs. Already in 1920x1080p etc.
I must have forgotten to erase the sh4 folder from my documents. But the game loaded fine. I installed the U-boat add on and also fine.
Now mods. But will do the Laa before.
And I do have pictures to prove it!

And its back. Spoke to soon:
I reboot the computer after installing the frameware software so LAA could run. I did the "patching" and went to see if the game run and black screen.

Before that I just installed jgme and copy mods to the mods folder, didn't not enable them.
It's a windows 11 thing, with my scanner is the same. I have an old epson v4990 photo and after installing the drivers, the scanning software runs. If I reboot or shutdown the PC and next day come back the scanner is not recognised by windows. I have to install the drivers again. I look up and more people reported this problem.

But i found out that if I switch on the scanner before my PC, the problem does not occur.

Yes, same Update. I like to have a couple testers in addition to myself, fresh sets of eyes may pick up things I do not, or one tester may not. Sim is dynamic enough experiences are rarely the exact same.

I am waiting on the WW I mod as well. Doubt I will totally abandon fleet boats or TMO as much left to do, but I am excited for this basically unexplored era in subsims.

Sorry to hear about all of your issues, I hope you get them worked out.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-22, 12:33 AM   #17
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15

Quote:
A drive A: in a modern PC .

Which update for TMOverhauled v2.5 BH? The one that BH ask me for help testing too?
Yeah, that HD is a .5 TB drive... C, is a 2 TB one... drive B is the original CD Rom drive. Then I named the ext. drive, D... I like to keep things... organized.

M. M.

Dang, yeah... sounds like Win 11, is the death knell for older games... & older peripheral things like your scanner there...

Ain't progress, grand... *shakes My head*
Old 03-29-22, 03:41 AM   #18
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Well, at least SH3 works fine, go figure ! For what i have been reading, several people have the same problem in different games in windows 10 and now 11. NVidia forums have similar threads with degrees of success or nil.

Possible an update drivers form nvidia or a windows update (yeah, I know, easier to get the Euromilions or somenthing) will repair.

I appreciate all the help, lets see if I can get to the pacific in a near future!
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-22, 01:36 AM   #19
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
No do!

I already tried also to do a clean install twice and the same problem happens.
I have the felling the problem was cause by me:
As I said, I installed the game, updated to 1.5 and run the first time and went well. Enable the mods I used and run the game again, all fine.

I did run CCleaner before i shutdown the PC for the day; I know that the program do detect some SH3 files when running the registry cleaner and I put them on the ignore list. Normally sh4 files are not pickup by it (at least on my old pc). It could erase something.

Why I bring this, because after my two installations after the issue appeared, there is no SH4 icon on my desktop.

The game just begin and them does not load the main loading screen. My desktop resolution goes to the default game one,but noting appears, just a black game window.

Edit: Resolved! After researching about the problem, I found about the "evil black screen". Just edited the main.cfg and changed synchronised to yes and presto!
I'm having the exact same problem.
Just reloaded my SH4 gold edition (with U-boat upgrade) download from Amazon I purchased back in 2019. No Mods, No tweeks just tried to load and play the game and nothing but black screen after intros.
don't even have any shortcuts I would normally get in the menu bar after loading something up.
The only way I can even try to start the game is to find the file in the C:/ drive and click on the SH4 application icon.
It brings up the start menu but it always does the same thing.
Just shows the intros and goes to black screen.
The only way to get rid if it is to CTL-ALT-DELETE and restart the damned computer. I can't even find the .exe file in the folder to try and adjust compatibility mode. Just keeps pulling up some kind of self help test that restarts the game with the intros and I'm back to CTL-ALT-DELETE and restarting the computer again.
WTH!!!!

Where did you find the main.cfg file to modify?
It's not in my SH4 file anywhere.

"You know what the chain of command is?
It's the chain I get and beat you with till you understand who's in command."
-ME
hunter301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-22, 04:32 AM   #20
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Hello hunter301
Try this: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/help/c...s-10/000063445
Also, I began to use the Large Address Aware on sh4.exe. The main.cfg file is located in SH4 folder in the My Documents.

It did resolve my problem. The thread about it: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=252255
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-22, 11:14 AM   #21
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter301 View Post
I'm having the exact same problem.
Just reloaded my SH4 gold edition (with U-boat upgrade) download from Amazon I purchased back in 2019. No Mods, No tweeks just tried to load and play the game and nothing but black screen after intros.
don't even have any shortcuts I would normally get in the menu bar after loading something up.
The only way I can even try to start the game is to find the file in the C:/ drive and click on the SH4 application icon.
It brings up the start menu but it always does the same thing.
Just shows the intros and goes to black screen.
The only way to get rid if it is to CTL-ALT-DELETE and restart the damned computer. I can't even find the .exe file in the folder to try and adjust compatibility mode. Just keeps pulling up some kind of self help test that restarts the game with the intros and I'm back to CTL-ALT-DELETE and restarting the computer again.
WTH!!!!

Where did you find the main.cfg file to modify?
It's not in my SH4 file anywhere.

If by chance... this 'black screen of death', is as I suspect... in actuality the game being in a perpetual 'game paused' state...

Then this would indicate that the [TIME COMPRESSION] settings are missing, from the \main.cfg file (This 1, in particular, is located where ever your game save folder is ... located. Will have to stroll through that folder (example: My save folder for SH4 mod set up copy: C:\Users\nunya\Documents\TvA\data\cfg\main.cfg ) to be able to edit it, as needed, outlined below)

To do that, you will then, need to find & pull up the SH4 game installs copy of \main.cfg which, is located here:

My SH4 game install pathway:

C:\Games\SH4\Megamods\SH4 - TMOverhauled v2 - Asiatic\Data\Cfg\main.cfg

In this main.cfg file, copy the section, taking note to make sure of a 1 space gap in between each section (above & below) [TIME COMPRESSION] & pasting that entire portion there... in your save folder copy... so that it, looks like this, in the 1st 3 sections.. with the rest being left as is:

[SETTINGS]
LoadingMovie=No
VoiceCommand=No
DisableMessages=No
EventCamera=No

[TIME COMPRESSION]
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=8
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=128;1
AirEnemyDetected=1
SoundEffects=2
CharacterAnim=4
EnemyDetected=1
RadioReport=1
Particles=64
PrayState=256
HunterState=256
3DRender=32
Maximum=512

[VIDEO]
Resolution=1600,900,60,22
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=Yes
Synchronized=No
TextureResolutionHigh=Yes

Click the x & select save... & done...

That, process there... will eliminate the dreaded 'Game Paused' blues...
Old 05-21-22, 02:44 PM   #22
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
If by chance... this 'black screen of death', is as I suspect... in actuality the game being in a perpetual 'game paused' state...

Then this would indicate that the [TIME COMPRESSION] settings are missing, from the \main.cfg file (This 1, in particular, is located where ever your game save folder is ... located. Will have to stroll through that folder (example: My save folder for SH4 mod set up copy: C:\Users\nunya\Documents\TvA\data\cfg\main.cfg ) to be able to edit it, as needed, outlined below)

To do that, you will then, need to find & pull up the SH4 game installs copy of \main.cfg which, is located here:

My SH4 game install pathway:

C:\Games\SH4\Megamods\SH4 - TMOverhauled v2 - Asiatic\Data\Cfg\main.cfg

In this main.cfg file, copy the section, taking note to make sure of a 1 space gap in between each section (above & below) [TIME COMPRESSION] & pasting that entire portion there... in your save folder copy... so that it, looks like this, in the 1st 3 sections.. with the rest being left as is:

[SETTINGS]
LoadingMovie=No
VoiceCommand=No
DisableMessages=No
EventCamera=No

[TIME COMPRESSION]
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=8
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=128;1
AirEnemyDetected=1
SoundEffects=2
CharacterAnim=4
EnemyDetected=1
RadioReport=1
Particles=64
PrayState=256
HunterState=256
3DRender=32
Maximum=512

[VIDEO]
Resolution=1600,900,60,22
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=Yes
Synchronized=No

Click the x & select save... & done...

That, process there... will eliminate the dreaded 'Game Paused' blues...
This is what my file main.cfg file looks like when found in C:/SH4/DATA/Cfg file. I notice there's a big difference in some of the numbers at the lower portion of the time compression area. Is this because of yours is coming from a MOD file or is this my problem?

[SETTINGS]
LoadingMovie=No
VoiceCommand=No
DisableMessages=No
EventCamera=No

[TIME COMPRESSION]
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=4
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=128;1
AirEnemyDetected=1
SoundEffects=2
CharacterAnim=4
EnemyDetected=8
RadioReport=8
Particles=8
PrayState=8
HunterState=32
3DRender=32
Maximum=8192

[VIDEO]
Resolution=1024,768,60,22
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=Yes
Synchronized=No

[SOUND]
Music=Yes
VolumeGeneral=100
VolumeMusic=100
VolumeFx=100
VolumeSpeech=100
VolumeRadio=100
VolumeGeneralMute=false
VolumeMusicMute=false
VolumeFxMute=false
VolumeSpeechMute=false
VolumeRadioMute=false
Max3DSounds=32
SoundTravel=false

[PLAYER]
Name=Player
Rank=10
Experience=0.000000
Renown=500.000000
NrOff=4
Patrols=0
TorpedoesFired=0
TotalTonnage=100
SubmarineType=1
SubmarineVersion=1
SubmarineName=U-110
ConingTower=6
SubmarineEmblem=Yes
SubmarineEmblemIdx=0
NrPettyOff=11
NrSeamen=29
CurrentYear=1942
ShipsSunk=0
LastMission=data/SingleMissions/MaltaConvoy/MaltaConvoy.mis
M01=1
A01=7
A02=7
S01=4

[Ubi.Com]
GameName=SILENTHUNTER4
Version=SH4PC1.0
RememberCDKey=true

[DEVELOPING]
DevDebugEnable=Yes
DevEditEnable=Yes
MiniDump=Yes

[Multiplayer]
GamePort=19000
ShowPlayersNames=true
ShowNamesOnTorpedos=true

-ME
Old 05-21-22, 03:18 PM   #23
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
This is what my file main.cfg file looks like when found in C:/SH4/DATA/Cfg file. I notice there's a big difference in some of the numbers at the lower portion of the time compression area. Is this because of yours is coming from a MOD file or is this my problem?

[SETTINGS]
LoadingMovie=No
VoiceCommand=No
DisableMessages=No
EventCamera=No

[TIME COMPRESSION]
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=4
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=128;1
AirEnemyDetected=1
SoundEffects=2
CharacterAnim=4
EnemyDetected=8
RadioReport=8
Particles=8
PrayState=8
HunterState=32
3DRender=32
Maximum=8192

[VIDEO]
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=Yes
Synchronized=No

[SOUND]
Music=Yes
VolumeGeneral=100
VolumeMusic=100
VolumeFx=100
VolumeSpeech=100
VolumeRadio=100
VolumeGeneralMute=false
VolumeMusicMute=false
VolumeFxMute=false
VolumeSpeechMute=false
VolumeRadioMute=false
Max3DSounds=32
SoundTravel=false

[PLAYER]
Name=Player
Rank=10
Experience=0.000000
Renown=500.000000
NrOff=4
Patrols=0
TorpedoesFired=0
TotalTonnage=100
SubmarineType=1
SubmarineVersion=1
SubmarineName=U-110
ConingTower=6
SubmarineEmblem=Yes
SubmarineEmblemIdx=0
NrPettyOff=11
NrSeamen=29
CurrentYear=1942
ShipsSunk=0
LastMission=data/SingleMissions/MaltaConvoy/MaltaConvoy.mis
M01=1
A01=7
A02=7
S01=4

[Ubi.Com]
GameName=SILENTHUNTER4
Version=SH4PC1.0
RememberCDKey=true

[DEVELOPING]
DevDebugEnable=Yes
DevEditEnable=Yes
MiniDump=Yes

[Multiplayer]
GamePort=19000
ShowPlayersNames=true
ShowNamesOnTorpedos=true
if by that... you mean the difference in what My TC is & yours... that is because they were preset by Me... before I ran My SH4 mod set up...

Other # info pertaining to other areas in that .cfg, pertain to settings in the Graphics options section I chose to roll with... & the vid part, is due to the monitor I have... so that is gonna likely be cause for differences there, as well...

It's not meant to be an exact match up... just used for reference of making sure in the save folder copy of main.cfg, that the position of the 1st 3 sections there... in My copy/paste... jive with what you see when you look at your copy.... Savvy...

M. M.
Old 05-21-22, 04:55 PM   #24
hunter301
Sonar Guy

So you saying there's nothing wrong with my .cfg file?

I have a sneaky suspicion my problem is going to have to do with what I have my resolution set to.
Between the time I stopped playing SH4 and now I purchased a new 49" 4K/UHD T.V. that I use as my monitor because it had the higher refresh rate that I needed when I started playing DCS flight sims.
That's the only thing I can think of that changed.

-ME
Old 05-21-22, 07:53 PM   #25
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
So you saying there's nothing wrong with my .cfg file?

I have a sneaky suspicion my problem is going to have to do with what I have my resolution set to.
Between the time I stopped playing SH4 and now I purchased a new 49" 4K/UHD T.V. that I use as my monitor because it had the higher refresh rate that I needed when I started playing DCS flight sims.
That's the only thing I can think of that changed.
With the main install of SH4 main.cfg, then in that case no... the 1 that may possibly be a problem child... would be the 1 that resides in the save folder, normally located in the Documents section of the hard drive.

For some odd reason... Windows, will take it in its own hands to do some... less than creative editing of that file... no idea as to why, much less how... BUT...

that section titled: [TIME COMPRESSION]

will end up wiped out, deleted, erased from existence there in the save folders copy of main.cfg ...

Thereby, causing what's known as... the dreaded paused game syndrome... with no way to unpause it, but...

to copy the [TIME COMPRESSION] section from the install folders copy of main.cfg & paste it in to the save folders copy, in the same area as the install copies is positioned, where it belongs & save.
Old 05-21-22, 08:21 PM   #26
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Quote:
With the main install of SH4 main.cfg, then in that case no... the 1 that may possibly be a problem child... would be the 1 that resides in the save folder, normally located in the Documents section of the hard drive.

For some odd reason... Windows, will take it in its own hands to do some... less than creative editing of that file... no idea as to why, much less how... BUT...

that section titled: [TIME COMPRESSION]

will end up wiped out, deleted, erased from existence there in the save folders copy of main.cfg ...

Thereby, causing what's known as... the dreaded paused game syndrome... with no way to unpause it, but...

to copy the [TIME COMPRESSION] section from the install folders copy of main.cfg & paste it in to the save folders copy, in the same area as the install copies is positioned, where it belongs & save.
Are you talking about the main.cfg file that's located in my SH4 file because as I showed you all of the time compression is there even though the numbers don't match yours.
Or are you talking about need the main.cfg file somewhere else in the computers files?
Remember I only know the basics of this stuff.

-ME
Old 05-21-22, 08:47 PM   #27
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Are you talking about the main.cfg file that's located in my SH4 file because as I showed you all of the time compression is there even though the numbers don't match yours.
Or are you talking about need the main.cfg file somewhere else in the computers files?
Remember I only know the basics of this stuff.
Ok, to break it down... there are 2... main.cfg files created for SH4.

#1, resides in the \Cfg folder, in \Data, inside your SH4 install.

# 2, is created... in documents, when you run SH4. This 1, is a basic (or what is supposed to be, a carbon copy of #1, just shortened down to basics for the simplicity of ease, when you go to load up a game save.

Now... Windows, in either its idiocy, or stupidity... take your pick here.... for some ungodly reason... takes a diarrhetic logic dump, & will some times... invariably, mangle that saved copy there in documents. No rhyme or reason behind it...

Now... when that happens, after you boot up SH4, the sign that Windows has wiped the save folders copy, clean of

[TIME COMPRESSION]
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=4
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=128;1
AirEnemyDetected=1
SoundEffects=2
CharacterAnim=4
EnemyDetected=8
RadioReport=8
Particles=8
PrayState=8
HunterState=32
3DRender=32
Maximum=8192

from it, is... in getting a complete, black screen. Sometimes, BUT... NOT always, that black screen, will host "Game Paused" dead smack in the middle.

Which, was what you reported seeing.... before you had to do a Cntrl+Alt+Delete reboot... yeah...

Which is why I asked for you, to go to the save folder for SH4, located there in documents, scroll through that folder until you located the main.cfg file there... open it & read through it to see if the [TIME COMPRESSION] section, was there.. or was it entirely missing.

All that pertains to that 1 particular copy of main.cfg, copy #2.... NOT copy #1.

Copy #1, is going to be all there. Without fail.
Old 05-21-22, 10:26 PM   #28
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Ok, to break it down... there are 2... main.cfg files created for SH4.

#1, resides in the \Cfg folder, in \Data, inside your SH4 install.

# 2, is created... in documents, when you run SH4. This 1, is a basic (or what is supposed to be, a carbon copy of #1, just shortened down to basics for the simplicity of ease, when you go to load up a game save.

Now... Windows, in either its idiocy, or stupidity... take your pick here.... for some ungodly reason... takes a diarrhetic logic dump, & will some times... invariably, mangle that saved copy there in documents. No rhyme or reason behind it...

Now... when that happens, after you boot up SH4, the sign that Windows has wiped the save folders copy, clean of

[TIME COMPRESSION]
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=4
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=128;1
AirEnemyDetected=1
SoundEffects=2
CharacterAnim=4
EnemyDetected=8
RadioReport=8
Particles=8
PrayState=8
HunterState=32
3DRender=32
Maximum=8192

from it, is... in getting a complete, black screen. Sometimes, BUT... NOT always, that black screen, will host "Game Paused" dead smack in the middle.

Which, was what you reported seeing.... before you had to do a Cntrl+Alt+Delete reboot... yeah...

Which is why I asked for you, to go to the save folder for SH4, located there in documents, scroll through that folder until you located the main.cfg file there... open it & read through it to see if the [TIME COMPRESSION] section, was there.. or was it entirely missing.

All that pertains to that 1 particular copy of main.cfg, copy #2.... NOT copy #1.

Copy #1, is going to be all there. Without fail.
OK found a second main.cfg file when I backed up from my C: drive to this computer and found "this PC/documents/SH4/data/cfg"
This .cfg was formatted exactly as the one in the game directory word for word when I put them side by side using Notepad.
There are 2 other cfg files in the one under documents labeled GFXSetting.cfg and gameplaysettings.cfg

-ME
Old 05-21-22, 11:25 PM   #29
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Also do you know why the game is not installing the startup shortcut on either my desktop or in the menu bar.
I have to go looking thru the C: drive file explorer just to find the application icon that will bring up the start menu for play, uninstall, etc..

-ME
Old 05-21-22, 11:48 PM   #30
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
OK found a second main.cfg file when I backed up from my C: drive to this computer and found "this PC/documents/SH4/data/cfg"
This .cfg was formatted exactly as the one in the game directory word for word when I put them side by side using Notepad.
There are 2 other cfg files in the one under documents labeled GFXSetting.cfg and gameplaysettings.cfg
That would be the one that sometimes get mangled by Windows.

So, the [Time Compression] set of settings was there, then...

Then that would not be the "Game Paused" syndrome then... with the black screen.

I've never ran into that occurring, of having a totally black screen & that being stuck, like that to the point of having to force close SH4.

those 2 other .cfg files, pertain to graphic's/options for in game... and... to the best of My knowledge, nothing there... that would cause that occurring... either.

Those, as they stand right now... without the game loading fully, as it should nor... knowledge of the correct editing to do, would still be in default set up.

So, as it goes there with them 2... can put them out of sight... out of mind.

Ok...

try this that I will outline... & see if that allows the game to load up:

1st off, open up 2 folders... in the 1st folder, locate your SH4 install... then in the 2nd folder open up documents & find the SH4 save folder

Before doing this editing... make sure to make a back up copy of each main.cfg, putting #1's back up, in a folder named 'main.cfg SH4 install back up' & #2's in a folder named 'main.cfg save folder copy', make those folders there on your desktop so to make finding them easy when you will need them afterwards... & as a safety measure... in case things go south, badly.

Good rule of thumb, to follow any time you go to edit files of a notepad persuasion...

After making those back ups... can close this folder for that, out... won't need it for now, at any rate.

In the #1 folder, find the main.cfg copy (that's the one, inside the SH4 install, & where that is found \Data\Cfg\main.cfg)

Open that with note pad & change the following section from:

[VIDEO]
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=Yes
Synchronized=No

to read, as follows:

[VIDEO]
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=No
Synchronized=No
TextureResolutionHigh=No

click on 'File' then select save & click it.

Next, relocate the # 2 main.cfg file (that's the one in documents) & do the following changes to that one, in the same area:

Open that with note pad & change the following section from:

[VIDEO]
Resolution=1600,900,60,22 My native monitor's settings here, but it should read whatever your monitors native rez is
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=Yes
Synchronized=No

make the following changes so it then reads, as follows:

[VIDEO]
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=No
Synchronized=No
TextureResolutionHigh=No

After that's done... click 'File' & select 'Save'

minimize both folders...

Now, try booting up the game & according to the info I watched, it should boot up.

Afterwards, on successful boot... should be able to go into the graphics option settings & set the monitor resolution back to your native one... close out & reboot back up, normally.

M. M.