Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 04-20-09, 09:59 AM   #1
RAF_Magpie
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default TvT - How bad is it really...?

Hi,

First off, sorry if this is the wrong place for this. But I've just purchased TvT, from GamersGate, and while its downloading, I've been reading through a few forums... Generally... I see its not seen as a terribly brilliant sim - at least not in the online department...

Is this the case? If so, have I just wasted $70NZD?

Can/has it been improved by the community, if so, can someone point this TvT n00b in the right direction of some game enhancing addons...?

Old 04-20-09, 12:05 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Since you already payed money for it, you will form your own opinion soon.

The thing was released unfinished, is abandoned by the developer, and the company releasing it is bancrupt, so no official support is to be expected. Modding is said to be possible, but difficult due to the inner structure of thre software. Many people, but not all, reported immense problems with online play.

Maybe the questions you asked would have been well asked before spending money?!

Oh, and welcome, btw.

P.S. If the era of WWII is a must for you, Steel Fury probably would have been the better choice (the same company: and thus, bancrupt, too). If you are about tanking in general and era is unimportant for you, there is no competition for SBP, featuring modern tanks.
Old 04-20-09, 01:45 PM   #3
andym
Weps

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

A fair appraisal from skybird.I have uninstalled my copy of T34 v Tiger.It did show promise but sadly it didnt deliver.So it didnt warrant the space in my hard drive.I can agree with Skybirds reccomendatons of Steel Fury and Steel Beasts Pro Pe.It would be well worth you looking on you tube at Steel beasts pro pe and steel fury to get a better idea of in game conditions.One thing i will add is if you are not bothered about it being a WW2 tank sim then you wont go wrong with Steel Beasts Pro Pe,its not cheap,but the expense is well worth it.It has just been upgraded and lots of new bits added.Have a look at the new tank skins in the post here and at www.steelbeasts.com

There are many maps,skins and extra missions to upload from the excellent modders the sim has attracted.They also have regular online multiplayer battles.
Old 04-20-09, 03:29 PM   #4
Lieste
Soundman

Strictly, the publisher was the same for both TvT and SF1942, but the development teams were different.

TvT is by all appearances dead, and the developer does not appear to be working on anything (and for sometime before the release of the Western version - which was a complete debacle). MP is supported, but most people report problems with it.

SF1942, was released, working, in the Russian market - and some time later as a broken/poorly localised version by the publisher in the Western market. The initial problems seem to have been largely overcome, and the developer has completed an expansion pack "Fall Blau", and is/was continuing to work on a wargame Karkhov 1943. Whether this is still ongoing, and what arrangements either has for a future release in the West is open to speculation, but even if nothing further happens it is a more complete and functional product (if a little quirky). There is no MP support yet.
Lieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 04:00 PM   #5
Vacillator
Frogman

Hi Magpie (taking a break from AAA? )

There have been some multi-player developments for TvT, see here:

http://www.panzersim.com/forums/index.php

See the thread for Steel Fury there as well. Currently only single player, SF has a good, if complicated, editor. And the developers Graviteam have at least drip fed some help and support. I started with TvT but spend a lot more time in SF now.

Anyway, give TvT a go and don't worry about the negative 'hype', there's definitely some fun to be had. Maybe we were a bit screwed but what the heck, life goes on
Vacillator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 10:36 PM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Hi Magpie,

It's not a bad sim, it has it's moments and will deliver some fun gameplay; but as said above, it was not fully complete when delivered and has been orphaned. Shame really, the game has potential.