Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 10-31-08, 02:56 AM   #46
ReM
Commodore

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Hotcliff
Yes ReM, that ,Byto_1' was my first trial, but in my opinion, too much to deal with at the same time, so I went and edited this 'platoon_recon' instead.
Sgt Hotcliff
Then here's another tip for you: if you find the 3 MBT's in Byto 1 too much to manage, or find that you buddies are stealing all your kills, you can also choose to 'divide unit' on the map. This splits a Leo from your unit, and it can now be controlled individually....meaning you can go forward with one tank and leave the rest of the unit well behind out of the danger zone. If for some reason your first tank get's brewed up, you can bring up another from the rear. You only have to worry about the 3MBT's in your zone and stay within the boundaries of this alloted zone. Anything that happens to your right doesn't really concern you although it would be advisable to keep something of a straight line when advancing.....just have a peek to see if there are 'panzers near Byto'.....and then return to the first village.....mission completed and a nice score depending on your performance. I could tell you a lot more, but I don't want to spoil the fun for you. I now play Byto for a 'quickie' and usually complete it within 15 mins....

Heck, if you are smart enough to design a chemical plant, you will master this game in no time!
Old 10-31-08, 03:52 AM   #47
Sgt Hotcliff
Naval Tank
Commander

Downloads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReM
[Heck, if you are smart enough to design a chemical plant, you will master this game in no time!
Thank's for the tip, it really sounds like a good idea in Byto, I know I tried to engage on the right flank too, messing it all up at first.

I am also found (in the 'docs' folder) a lot of info doc's in pdf, which I have now printed out..like the Swedish Strv122 manual, battle tactics and a lot of stuff. Maybe I should switch over to Strv122 if not, only for patriotic reasons?

Well, at work here while this whole office is free cause of Halloween, trying to design this chemichal plant in Michigan, but it's frustrating knowing my Leo2A5 is idling back home..probably will make it a "half-day" here and get back in the TC's seat asap :rotfl:

happy halloween!

'Just a cool Swedish"Strv122"
http://www.kamratoff.se/images/Strv%20122%20sand.jpg

"A warrior accepts defeat
He does not treat it as a matter of indifference, nor does he try to make a victory of it” (P.Coehlo)

Sgt Hotcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 04:10 AM   #48
ReM
Commodore

Sgt Hotcliff,

Considering that you are from Sweden, it might be possible that you have at least some knowledge of the German language. If so you might want to download the German Benutzerhandbuch from the Steel Beasts website. Although the manual that comes with the game is pretty good, the German version is much more detailed and reminds me of manuals that used to ship with games about a decade ago (the nice spiral bound manuals to M1 tank platoon, Total Air war etc..... )

I have thought about translating it into English, but I have too little time, because my kids, wife, games and job (in that order) gobble up most of the time.......maybe later.
Old 10-31-08, 04:27 AM   #49
Sgt Hotcliff
Naval Tank
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReM
Considering that you are from Sweden, it might be possible that you have at least some knowledge of the German language..
Mein freund!

well, I have a pretty good basic knowledge in technichal German language, reading a lot of manuals from German manufacturers, so maybe..

I can try download it here right now and take a look.

thanks,

He does not treat it as a matter of indifference, nor does he try to make a victory of it” (P.Coehlo)

Old 10-31-08, 05:12 AM   #50
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Alter Schwede!

The Strv-122 is a Leo2A% with upgraded roof armour, mine protection, and some minor chnages, it also features different sights in GAS, and different ammunition. no bad choice. Only the spanish versions of the Leo2 are more heavily armoured - they are said to even withstand ICM.

You will not always stick to the two scenarios you currently deal with, Recon and Byto. ReM had good advise with his hint on splitting up platoon. Ypou could edit the mission and make it a platoon of four, then splitting it into pairs, having your wingman traling behind in ehecelon or column and formation distance set to "wide", the the leading tank is not alone if he gets into trouble nevertheless will be the one facing new challenges first, most often. Then you use both sections to overwatch your general advance, which is a tactcic you really MUST adapt to if you want to survive in SBP. One sets up guard, the other unit from the rear advances, makes the new fonrtline, switches to guard, and the the other advances.

If you are patriotic about sweden, the Strv-122 can be nicely accompanied later on with the Swedish CV-9040 B/C.

And then I would urge you to start learning to fight with GPS gone, stabilization gone, and turret mode switched to "off". You will get damage din other scenarios, and often your 100% okay status will not last long in battle. If then you do not have some experience in how to use the GAS sights to estimate distances and add lead manually, you're cold meat. Also, it adds tension and excitement, also hectic and drama Fighting from GAS is really a challenge, and get be very tense.

In both scenarios a major factor is beign ignroed: artillery. Very often you will come under artillery fire if you stay in a position too long and the enemy has seen you there. Yoiu NEED to make it a common procedure of yours to cinstantly relocate after a minute or less, to avoid incoming HE or worse: ICM. ICM barrages often will kill you, or do major damage and disable crew members. Three hotkeys you should have - amongst others - on your input device: popping smoke, button up, and closing the armour shield for the GPS.

when you are under small arms fire or engaged in urban terrain, you may want to consider to keep your GPS closed anyway, to protect it from getting dmaaged by small callibre fire, and stick with the GAS anyway. Set it to battlesight range. You then must not worry about wether or not the gun tube has clear line of sight to the target - if you see it in GAS and sight is not blocked, in the M1 sight never will be blöocked indeed, and in the Leo-2A5 most often not (the new Leos have the GAS optics no longer attached to the gun tube's elevation like the A4, but on the roof as well).

So as much fun a single tank stalking may be, take care that you do not get used to flawed behavior that way, and learn wrong tactics. On a modern battlefield, one tank alone - is nothing. Only teams of forces prevail. Consider your units to be pieces in chess, and move them on the board to strong positions. Sometimes one by one. Sometimes simultaneously. It depends.

And never underestimate infantry close to you, and flanking. The Russian'S latest Panzerfausts and the German PF-III can kill you, no matter your tank. eventually I even got killed by frontal shots, at least I received major damage and crew losses.
Old 10-31-08, 05:35 AM   #51
ReM
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
So as much fun a single tank stalking may be, take care that you do not get used to flawed behavior that way, and learn wrong tactics.
That's a good point: having played many, many offline sessions, I still get overwhelmed when playing with very large units....(and I have been schooled in the military). Let's face it, SBPpe is a real simulator as advertised, and not a game and it can be very very, unforgiving; having fun with it is not the reason it was brought out. It still is very much fun though and will be very rewarding if you are willing to invest time in it (but that goes for most sims).
Old 10-31-08, 11:37 AM   #52
Sgt Hotcliff
Naval Tank
Commander

Quote:
If you are patriotic about sweden, the Strv-122 can be nicely accompanied later on with the Swedish CV-9040 B/C.
Sehr geerte Herren!

Vielen dank for your concern and willingness to share your xp with me, I am very grateful and will consider it all carefully

But for now, "Alte Schwede" has just bought himself a new car..Strv122!

I'll report back to HQ after the test drive tonight..

til later,

Sgt Hotcliff

Old 10-31-08, 07:20 PM   #53
Sgt Hotcliff
Naval Tank
Commander

Beta and Vista /XP trouble..

Skybird,

it took me a friday evening and a six pack of Mariestads Export beer but now, everything is under control..

SBProPE Beta is running here under XP on the stationary, as well as on the laptop under Vista Business 32..it wasn't that hard after all!
Guess the problem was a corrupt file, probably the 6th rar file actually.
But with new downloads, and a refresh of codemeter v.3.3 it all went well.

As things went so well, I did go back to platoon recon and did score well until I died..that last piece of land is so hard to cross!

But as you say.."probably I am not doing things right"

Besides, I just love the "Strv122"..the skin is just perfect with some "christmas tree-camo" on the turret and gun barrel..sounds beefed up too..just lovely!

And now feeling the power of a platoon..you are right..it is awesome to control a group of tanks..giving support, having support..just bliss!

late night here and they say it's Halloween..??

I don't know..I only feel gunsmoke!

Sgt Hotcliff

Old 10-31-08, 08:33 PM   #54
Skybird
Soaring

I was about pointing you to the many different skins available, but since a new data standard comes with the models in the new upgrade that we hope to get this winter (damn those sleepy Spanish ), I am not sure if the old skins will work anymore.

Links to a fan's skin catalogue and eSim's skin download section in the SBP resources sticky, decide yourself wether or not it is worth the time for you. I run CV9040s in Bundeswehr camo, for example, and Russian tanks in Finnish skins. both look much better than the default skins.

There are tasty sound mods as well, for engines, tracks and weapons. Plus ambient warzone sounds, you launch it via media player before launching SBP, it gives the accoustic feedback of various weapons firing on a battlefield with many kilometers of width and depth: Mod-download section at eSims.
Old 10-31-08, 08:58 PM   #55
Lieste
Soundman

The only model that has changed to my knowledge *so far* is the M1A1(HA) which has a new and much better model.

External skins for most of the others should still work in the new release.

There are a few older models still in circulation, which both benefit greatly from an updated skin, and which will be replaced as time permits. These include the BMD-2 and the YPR-765 & variants (AIFV for non Dutch users).
Lieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-08, 09:23 AM   #56
Sgt Hotcliff
Naval Tank
Commander

Quote:
There are tasty sound mods as well, for engines, tracks and weapons. Plus ambient warzone sounds,
Skybird,
as always, you are my source of wisdom here and I thank you for all help you have given this novice so far..I am honoured.

I just love the variety and the mods available, it gives me "goose skin" to see my Swedish Strv122 in woodlands camo..hearing the correct voices as I remember they spoke in the military service..just love it all!

I am in an euphoric state right now, hard to say what I like most..beeing killed so often or just the pleasure of thundering over the plains in a group of 3 tanks..trying to remember to be tactical..

Anyway, it has been an overwhelming experience this so far..and I havent even yet got into the REAL gameplay..just skimming the surface..
I look forward to a long time with SBPro..having reorganized my game-zone here, joystick permanentely attached, lowered the desktop for better ergonomy, keyboard-printouts on the wall..tons of reference litterature on tank warfare nearby, heavy manuals printed out in full size A4..planning on building a steel structure around it all.. maybe I could fina one of those Russian padded tanker-cloth-helmets? I know, I am insane, but I love it! :rotfl:

By the way, looking at the clock..just a quick dinner, probably pasta, then it's time for another session of "platoon_recon"

"Strength and Honour"

Sgt Hotcliff

Old 11-01-08, 10:25 AM   #57
Sgt Hotcliff
Naval Tank
Commander

Military History

Skybird,

serious now..

I am a very addicted person to military history..reading all I can get my hands on in this world of history, all from Julius Ceasar's life to Gustaf Mannerheim and the Finnish struggle against the Russians..

War history is my main interest.."Gaming" is just a relief and a small reminder of what happened, not yet a man's age ago..Let us hope it will never happen again..

It may seem that I am a war romantic, but that is not true..I respect the history and am scared when seeing all drama that took place during those years..Still it is fascinating..wondering what had happened if I was born 30 years earlier..no one will know the answer.

In my youth, I was picked for "Panzer kill duty" at P4 in Skövde, Sweden, but I had enlisted volontary for the Paratroopers here in Sweden, and spend 3 humiliating weeks there until ending up as a ships mechanic in the Coastal Artillery..(see my tag pic) That is my military history.

I have a lot of humour and love to joke about everything including the wars but at heart I am a dedicated man to history and fact..especially I admire our fathers generation for doing what they did..It would never happen like that today, I am sure..

Since I have met a Finnish woman at my age, I have learned a lot about their history too, and it really makes me amazed how a small country like that could defeat the Russian war machine, let be with some German help, but still..they had "Sisu" as they call it..a "damned personal power"!

no words needed here

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/hayha.html

the worlds most efficient sniper..Simo Häyhä..542 kills in 3 months!

they are special those Finns!

I am not sure why, but I guess I just wanted to tell you, I am serious with the history..that's all..

"slow ahead"

Sgt Hotcliff

Old 11-01-08, 10:43 AM   #58
Skybird
Soaring

Way to go!
Old 11-02-08, 11:07 AM   #59
Sgt Hotcliff
Naval Tank
Commander

Byto..

Quote:
Way to go!
yeah, feeling confident enough to take on the Byto mision again...no matter what the outcome will be..tank platoon it is

Sgt Hotcliff

Old 11-02-08, 11:10 AM   #60
Sgt Hotcliff
Naval Tank
Commander

patches for Beta?

are there any essential patches needed for SB ProPE Beta?