Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-21, 10:26 AM   #14671
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0

I wonder. While I don't think it is a Colt Walker I have to ask if it is anyway.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Old 01-11-21, 11:16 AM   #14672
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
US civil war era?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
I wonder. While I don't think it is a Colt Walker I have to ask if it is anyway.
NOPE to both

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 01-11-21, 11:17 AM   #14673
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Is it a carbine?
Old 01-11-21, 11:26 AM   #14674
Buddahaid

Does it use cartridges? I'm assuming so but I'm asking just to be clear.

David Bowie
Old 01-11-21, 11:33 AM   #14675
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Yes the round is considered efficient for dangerous game. It's the only one I reload to save money. BIG hint! on two separate hills, 22 years apart, two arrogant Trumplike aßholes with presidential ambitions had problems with this firearm. One was firing downhill; the other uphill... @ EichBBY: it did come in a carbine version.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 01-11-21, 11:47 AM   #14676
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
two arrogant Trumplike aßholes with presidential ambitions had problems with this firearm.
Is that necessary in this thread?

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 01-11-21, 11:59 AM   #14677
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Is that necessary in this thread?
sorry, I should have said "egomaniacal varlets." Both commanded regiments and considered riding on "the coattails of victory" to greater goals.

Old 01-11-21, 12:45 PM   #14678
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The Marlin Model?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 01-11-21, 01:08 PM   #14679
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Nope. Really big hint: a certain man, who famously carried one, and actually met one of the aforementioned regimental commanders, might be tempted to shout out his own name while 'hitting the silk'!

Old 01-11-21, 01:19 PM   #14680
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

20th century?

Old 01-11-21, 01:24 PM   #14681
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Springfield model 1873?

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 01-11-21, 01:32 PM   #14682
Buddahaid

Looks like that may be it. A Springfield trapdoor.

David Bowie
Old 01-11-21, 01:36 PM   #14683
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Upon investigation to your inquiry: "there are reports it was issued in or during WW I to civilians for coastal defense." In any case, around the globe due to patent-squabble production problems with it's Norwegian designed replacement weapon at the turn of the century, I've no doubt it was carried by military personnel of the expanding American Empire...albeit for a short time. EDIT OVER to U-Crank!
Quote:
Lieutenant Colonel Theodore Roosevelt found himself in a tight spot on the outskirts of Santiago, Cuba, on July 1, 1898. He had just led his Rough Riders in an attack up a winding muddy road from the beach. At a curve in the road he found his way blocked at the foot of Kettle Hill by the 71st New York Volunteers. They were taking heavy rifle fire from the heights before Santiago. The 71st troops were armed only with single-shot black powder 1873 Springfield rifles and might as well have been carrying a banner reading, “Aim right here!” Each time a New Yorker fired, his position was immediately given away by a billow of black powder smoke—“about the size of a cow,” as one trooper put it. From their well-dug-in positions up on the Santiago heights, Spanish troops were armed with Mauser Model 1893 repeaters that used smokeless powder and high velocity bullets to deadly advantage. All a Spanish soldier had to do was center his sights on that cloud and pull the trigger. Odds were good he’d hit somebody.

Realizing they could not stand that kind of punishment for very long, Roosevelt demanded that the New Yorkers rush the Spanish position, but they would not advance without proper orders. Roosevelt did not hesitate. He waved a revolver salvaged from the wreck of the battleship Maine and bellowed: “You need orders, then I will give them! Come with me or stand aside and let my men through!” The charge that followed swept the Spaniards from the heights, pushed Roosevelt into the headlines and eventually carried him to the presidency of the United States.

That black powder rifle that performed so miserably before Kettle Hill had also failed 22 years previously at the Greasy Grass—the Little Bighorn. In addition, parallels between the commanding officers at both battles are astounding. Theodore Roosevelt and George Armstrong Custer were both young and brash lieutenant colonels. Both had once held positions of greater responsibility—Custer as a major general in the American Civil War, Roosevelt as U.S. undersecretary of the Navy. Both men found themselves mired in poorly planned assaults upon superior forces. Both were driven by presidential ambitions.
JUST FOR EICH: the carbine version:

The 1873 Springfield carried by Custer’s 7th Cavalry was a carbine, a foot shorter than the model carried by the New York volunteers in Cuba. <(at right)The famous Apache Warrior(paratroopers shout "Geronimo" when hitting the silk) was at Teddy Roosevelt's inaugural parade...His big problem was: the soldiers who captured him were also carrying 45-70 "trapdoor Springfields"I carry the full infantry an original I purchesed in the '70's in Texas in my trukkin daze-for $35 dollars!: Heads turn at the local range: its an absolute cannon when it discharges and ear-protection is oft inadequate.. I let kids shoot it just so they can say they fired one once.

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-11-21 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-11-21, 01:47 PM   #14684
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Winchester Model 1905?

Old 01-11-21, 02:02 PM   #14685
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

U Crank's got it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by d@rk51d3
Admiral Ackbar says: "It's a trap!!!!"
d@rk51d3 read the clue!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-11-21 at 02:13 PM.
Closed Thread