SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-07, 12:38 PM   #121
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

happened to me the first time i loaded the game... i was erked and tried again, worked fine and hasnt done it since.
GoldenRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 03:31 PM   #122
bobbedybob
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default HELP!

Could someone please help me. My game loads up fine but then when a mission is loaded the buttons come up at the bottom with the speed dial etc but above that it's just a black screen. I move the mouse around and writing comes up saying helmsman and navigator so i assume that's the command room but I can't see anything.

Help much appreciated.

AMD athlon dual core 5000+
Nvidia Gforce 7950Gx2
1GB RAM
250GB hard drive
and thats all I know.
bobbedybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 04:09 PM   #123
seawolf34
Seaman

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macky
When I start SH4 I get an error box stating:

"Please insert the original disc instead of backup (1000)"

Then it provides a link to securom.

Now before you say it, my copy is legal and not a backup, nocd cracked version. Its brand new and recieved it from amazon this morning.

A second go and the game loads ok.

Not a game busting bug, just an inconvenient one. Anyone else had this? Or could it be my dvd drive playing up
There's nothing wrong with your dvd drive m8, I got the same problem, sometimes takes 3 or 4 attempts to get the game loading & yes it's the original disc i'm using
seawolf34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 04:51 PM   #124
uniquemind
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyfeld
Yes it's off. I noticed a difference when switching it on/off.

For the most part everything is still blurzzy
I had this after going into my graphics cards control panel and reducing Mipmap detail to best performance, so to get rid of the blurry image, set your Mipmap detail to high quality, fixed it for me

I still however am getting this white band that flashes across the screen when on the bridge, seeing as no-one has replied I guess this is a bug, hopefully not my system which is:

Let me ammend this, its now a black flicker,flash call it what you will

Athlon AMD 3000+ XP 2.2 Gig
Radeon X800 Pro 256MB
2.5 Gig DDR Ram
Socket A Gigabyte Motherboard
Realtek AC97 Onboard Sound

Uniquemind

Last edited by uniquemind; 03-25-07 at 02:58 PM.
uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 09:09 PM   #125
clamps
Swabbie

Downloads: 17

if any one could help me with my sound looping problem would be great

i seem to a get sound looping banging noise (kind of sounds like some ones banging very loudly on the side of my sub ) only when i ever come out of tc i have tried both old and new drivers for my Audigy 2 card and turned down hardware acceleration to all possible settings and still happens and new est dx 9 update installed.

the 3d sounds slider in game have tried on all levels as well and the travel sound tick box thing is off.
Old 03-24-07, 10:06 PM   #126
Hollyfeld
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquemind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyfeld
Yes it's off. I noticed a difference when switching it on/off.

For the most part everything is still blurzzy
I had this after going into my graphics cards control panel and reducing Mipmap detail to best performance, so to get rid of the blurry image, set your Mipmap detail to high quality, fixed it for me

I still however am getting this white band that flashes across the screen when on the bridge, seeing as no-one has replied I guess this is a bug, hopefully not my system which is:

Athlon AMD 3000+ XP 2.2 Gig
Radeon X800 Pro 256MB
2.5 Gig DDR Ram
Socket A Gigabyte Motherboard
Realtek AC97 Onboard Sound

Uniquemind
FIXED!

You deserve an award, a dinner held in your honor and if you're old enough, a bottle of the finest Single Malt Scotch.

I cannot tell you how happy I am.

Thank you
Hollyfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 11:05 PM   #127
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Vista problems here... I'm getting the DX9 file missing error, but well I'm not using DX9 with Vista. Any ideas? Can I just put that file in the system32 folder to trick it?

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 04:59 AM   #128
Seadogs
Ensign

Downloads: 3

You still need to install the DX9c update. However go to windows update and use that one, it's newer than the one on the disk.

Don't get confused about Vista's DX10 as nothing uses it as of yet. Trust me, I use Vista as well.
Seadogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 05:10 AM   #129
Darkbluesky
Sparky

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmoe
It all depends on your financial situation and on when you wanna have the next major system upgrade. You probably need a new PSU anyhow, no matter if you upgrade to the 7600GT or X1950 Pro. The X1950 is much better than the 7600GT, if you have the money get a good PSU and the X1950, then you can play at hi-res with max details, the 7600GT won´t be able to handle max details at hi-res.
Ok, after looking more I have more defined choices, I'm between

1-Gainward 7600GT GS 256 MB, mem bandwidth 128 bit, 12 pipelines (1.2 ns mem access time, 575 Mhz core, 1500 Mhz memory, GDDR3) at 180 euros. For spec reference http://www.alternate.eu/html/product...a=true#tecData

2-Gainward 7800GS GLH 512 MB, mem bandwidth 256 bit, 20 pipelines (1.4 ns mem access time, 500 Mhz core, 1400 Mhz memory, GDDR3) at 225 euros. I remember that the Gainward 7800GS+ was a 7900GT core with 24 pipelines, but I have not found any info on this about the 7800G GLH. Anybody can enlight this? For spec reference http://www.alternate.eu/html/product...a=true#tecData

I would love to find a review of the 7800GS GLH compared with the 7600GT, but I can't find any review on the 7800gs GLH AGP (only one on the 7800GT GLH PCIe, which is useless for me)

On the other hand I found that the 7600GT could be almost fine with a 350W PSU (which is my current one), but the 7800GS GLH could need a 400W one.

I would like to know which one of both you would chose, which is faster, more OCable, and if it is worth the difference on price.

Thank you!

Last edited by Darkbluesky; 03-25-07 at 05:25 AM.
Darkbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 10:18 AM   #130
TonyD
Bilge Rat

Default Upgrade advice

Greetings -

SH4 freezes after the first main menu when loading any option with the error I have seen others report - error x3539: ps_1_x is not supported in this version of compiler.
Data/Shader/InteriorIllumination/HighlightPS.fx

I have added the patch to the clean install and re-booted etc etc.
I've been running all previous versions of SH

I realise my graphic card is not up to scratch but before I unlock the vaults, what would anyone suggest for upgrade.

Time Computer AMD 3500+ 1.3Gz 1.024GB RAM
8GB free space on C plus more disks with space.
All-in-wonder 9200 series
Radeon 9200 secondary.

What would be the simplest and cheapest ubgrade solution? SH4 only cost £24.99!

Thank you
Old 03-25-07, 10:23 AM   #131
humesdog
Seaman

Downloads: 24
Default can you recommend a graphics card for me?

Now that you've all been running SH4 for a couple days, can anyone recommend a graphics card for me that'll make this simulation run nice? Here are the specs on my computer.

Running XP on a Dell Optiplex GX520
Pentium 4 3.00GHz
.99 GB RAM

Money is not too important, I want the game to look nice. Also, do I need other upgrades besides the video card? I have no card yet and the system doesn't list a sound card (or maybe I don't know how to look for it).

On a side note, I was running SH3 on my laptop which has only 512MB RAM and an ATI radeon 9700 and I installed SH4 and ran it at the lower settings, and it actually didn't run that bad. I could also upgrade my laptop and give it more RAM.

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to getting back out in the Pacific!

Last edited by humesdog; 03-25-07 at 01:51 PM.
humesdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 11:10 AM   #132
OneTinSoldier
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
Greetings -

SH4 freezes after the first main menu when loading any option with the error I have seen others report - error x3539: ps_1_x is not supported in this version of compiler.
Data/Shader/InteriorIllumination/HighlightPS.fx

I have added the patch to the clean install and re-booted etc etc.
I've been running all previous versions of SH

I realise my graphic card is not up to scratch but before I unlock the vaults, what would anyone suggest for upgrade.

Time Computer AMD 3500+ 1.3Gz 1.024GB RAM
8GB free space on C plus more disks with space.
All-in-wonder 9200 series
Radeon 9200 secondary.

What would be the simplest and cheapest ubgrade solution? SH4 only cost £24.99!

Thank you
Hi TonyD,

I think that error message is the game telling you that 'Pixel Shader 1 Extension' is not supported, which is all your graphics card supports. SHIV needs a graphics card that supports Pixel Shader 2.

Are you sure you CPU is an...

AMD 3500+ ...?

An AMD 3500+ only runs at 1.3GHz? Perhaps you meant AMD 2500+?

If you meant 2500+ then I recommend trying to get an ATI X850 or Nvidia 6800 type of card. Because what you have there is getting pretty darned old, and the PSU(Power Supply Unit) in it is not likely to support the power requirements cards newer than that. Not only that, even if you could get a higher powered card than those, it's likey they wouldn't be doing you any more good than an X850 or 6800 because the CPU would be a serious bottleneck to anything higher then one of those two.

If it's a 2500+ running at 1.3 GHz then you might want to think about opening up the vault IF you are wanting to run SHIV in fairly hi-res with high detail.

Hope that helps
"Variable this is EasyRhino, do you copy? Over." Loud and clear EasyRhino. "Do we have a gig? Over." That's a Roger, we have a gig. Target is painted, start the music. "Roger that Variable. Into attack. Pickling target. Target is acquired and lit. LGB comin' down!" EasyRhino, circular error probability zero. Impact with High Order Detonation. Thank You, have a nice day.
OneTinSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 12:07 PM   #133
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15
Default Upgrade for SH4 help.

Ok guys, I'm hoping someone can give me some useful advice here.

First up: my current system:

3.8 gig p4
2 gig DDr2 ram
6800 ultra
+ an audigy card.

Although the game looks nice i've had frames drop into single figures at times which is no good. I've got a bit of spare money just now and although I cannot afford a whole new rig I want to get a new graphics card and a shiny new monitor. So here are some questions.

I've seen some 8800s at a good price but is there any point in getting one of these just now? I'm unlikely to upgrade to a new motherboard and duelcore system for a while yet and I don't know whether I would get the best out of it.

One card that has caught my eye is this one:

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...4B26&InMerch=1

Is it good enough to last do me as a stop gap for while until I get around to upgrading everything? I'm not that bothered for the latest shooters so DX10 really isn't that big an issue for me. As long as I can boost the frames on Sh4 and OFF that is good enough for me. would it be enough just now? I've only ever used nividia before but if someone can convince me that ATI are better I'm quite willing to follow their adivce...

I'm thrown about monitors too. I'm just using a crappy 17'' crt just now but want something in the 20'' at least. Space is limited so I'm after a flatty instead of a crt. under 8ms etc. What I really want to know is this: I've seen a couple that have a native res of 16 x 12. All fine but if I played something at another, lower, res would there be a noticable problem with blurriness etc?

Basically, would I be just as well off getting one with a lower native res, using that and saving a few quid?

A lot of questions I know but I'm quite out of touch. My machine has done me for two and a half years without the slightest problem. it is only recently it has begun to gasp at games....

Mods if this would be better of in General topics or somewhere please move.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 06:33 PM   #134
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan
Ok guys, I'm hoping someone can give me some useful advice here.

First up: my current system:

3.8 gig p4
2 gig DDr2 ram
6800 ultra
+ an audigy card.

Although the game looks nice i've had frames drop into single figures at times which is no good. I've got a bit of spare money just now and although I cannot afford a whole new rig I want to get a new graphics card and a shiny new monitor. So here are some questions.

I've seen some 8800s at a good price but is there any point in getting one of these just now? I'm unlikely to upgrade to a new motherboard and duelcore system for a while yet and I don't know whether I would get the best out of it.

One card that has caught my eye is this one:

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...4B26&InMerch=1

Is it good enough to last do me as a stop gap for while until I get around to upgrading everything? I'm not that bothered for the latest shooters so DX10 really isn't that big an issue for me. As long as I can boost the frames on Sh4 and OFF that is good enough for me. would it be enough just now? I've only ever used nividia before but if someone can convince me that ATI are better I'm quite willing to follow their adivce...

I'm thrown about monitors too. I'm just using a crappy 17'' crt just now but want something in the 20'' at least. Space is limited so I'm after a flatty instead of a crt. under 8ms etc. What I really want to know is this: I've seen a couple that have a native res of 16 x 12. All fine but if I played something at another, lower, res would there be a noticable problem with blurriness etc?

Basically, would I be just as well off getting one with a lower native res, using that and saving a few quid?

A lot of questions I know but I'm quite out of touch. My machine has done me for two and a half years without the slightest problem. it is only recently it has begun to gasp at games....

Mods if this would be better of in General topics or somewhere please move.

Yes, it looks like your card is the bottle neck. Find a site where you can compare you current card and this one. This will tell the story if you are getting more juice than your current card compared to this one. This is what I did. I had a Nvidia 6200 oc and the game was just playable, no more. I compared it to several cards and decided on the Radeon X1300 XGE 512mg card. HUGE difference. I'm very pleased with it.
Old 03-25-07, 08:30 PM   #135
cpre5
Swabbie

I run about 30fps while in game, however I run 2 fps in the office. Anyone else have this issue, cause its hard to click on things with only 2 fps.
I have all my stuff turned to low.

AMD 64 3200 2.g
1g ram
Nvidia 6800GT
cpre5 is offline   Reply With Quote