SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-12-21, 06:09 PM   #8056
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Nancy is her own person. I love her to death but I will NEVER tell her to do something she does not want to do.

I don't care why she will not take the shots. That is her choice and it is a very personal choice for each of us with all the conflicting info out there.

I would not be the partner she married long ago if I pressured her.
And that always works both ways in our relationship.

She did not question me when I changed my mind to get the shot.

Well. There was one question. I told her I'd take the shots if they gave me a million dollars.
Once I got the first shot?

She asked if I had the million dollars!
Old 08-12-21, 06:18 PM   #8057
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Nancy is her own person. I love her to death but I will NEVER tell her to do something she does not want to do.

I don't care why she will not take the shots. That is her choice and it is a very personal choice for each of us with all the conflicting info out there.

I would not be the partner she married long ago if I pressured her.
And that always works both ways in our relationship.

She did not question me when I changed my mind to get the shot.

Well. There was one question. I told her I'd take the shots if they gave me a million dollars.
Once I got the first shot?

She asked if I had the million dollars!

Women are like cats… you can only make them do what they want to do.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-21, 06:26 PM   #8058
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Women are like cats… you can only make them do what they want to do.
She's not quite cat like. She don't knock everything off the tables!
Old 08-12-21, 07:11 PM   #8059
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

She could do what others have done and get tested for antibodies. Who knows, she may have already had it and developed a natural immunity. But if she isn’t that fact may make her rethink her position.

Old 08-12-21, 07:15 PM   #8060
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Quote:
She could do what others have done and get tested for antibodies. Who knows, she may have already had it and developed a natural immunity. But if she isn’t that fact may make her rethink her position.
Tell you what. You want to talk to her? Send me your phone number and I'll have her call you.
I am in NO WAY going to try to change her mind and it would be funny to hear her tell you to FO!
Old 08-12-21, 10:18 PM   #8061
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Have you asked her why she wouldn't take the shot ?

The only person I know who are not going to take the shot is my 80 year old mom.
Beside that I have only read about people rejecting the jab and their reason is many..sadly many is based on conspiracy. There is also those who based it on facts.

Markus

My wife [reluctantly] got the vaccine. Primarily because she was tired of wearing a mask and, at the time, mask requirements had relaxed. I haven't and I don't plan to. Here's why (in no particular order):
  • I'm relatively young (42) and healthy, so low[er] risk for severe or life-threatening symptoms from Covid.
  • The vaccine - like any medical treatment - is not and never will be 100% safe, so the gain of avoiding flu-like symptoms IMO does not outweigh the risk of serious side-effects.
  • I think there are many others who could benefit much more from it, so why take one away from them?
  • I am in contact with hundreds of people every day, and I have not gotten sick since this whole thing started. I find it unlikely if not impossible that I have not already been exposed at this point.
  • The vaccine does not prevent one from contracting or spreading the virus, so the precautions I take would not differ.
  • I have doubts that this vaccine was created and engineered 'from the ground up', so to speak, specifically for this virus. The time frame is just too short. That's not to say that I think it is entirely ineffective or unsafe*.
  • AFAIK, I do not have prolonged contact with high-risk people - so there is little chance that I will spread it to them.
We are very much like Jeff and his wife. We do not question each other's judgement, and we would not try to convince the other person to do anything they really don't want to do. We do discuss our feelings about pretty much everything. It just so happens that we agree on most of it. (Maybe that's why we got married. )

By the way, I'd also like to add that someone very dear to me died after contracting Covid. She was a former co-worker and the mother of a very good friend of mine.She was also battling cancer. God rest her soul.

*On a side note: my wife is a little miffed about having to wear a mask again. Since that was her primary reason, she feels like there was no point in getting it. We were talking about it earlier today and I told her that - if nothing else - the data seems to show that it will at least protect you from some Covid variants. And apparently the flu and common cold - because cases of that seem to have completely disappeared. Or maybe it's all the social distancing. Who knows?
Old 08-12-21, 11:18 PM   #8062
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

The primary reason common flu and colds are down is simply because of greater handwashing and mask wearing, etc., things that people usually are less than strict about normally. Even just washing your hands frequently will geatly lessen your chances of getting a cold.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-21, 11:56 PM   #8063
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

This belongs also to a more complete picture.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...069-0/fulltext

I think its possible that vaccinations will not forever stay to be the tool of choice.

I also read that the future developement of the pandemic msy turn covid 19 into a general child desease, say like measels.

For the time being, vaccinations seem to be the ultima ratio. But that must not mean it will always be so until the end of time. I think of it as an emergency measure for current emergency times.

Israel reports infections amongst old people who got the third booster jab.
Old 08-13-21, 09:23 AM   #8064
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
She's not quite cat like. She don't knock everything off the tables!
She did that night we spent in Houston

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 09:25 AM   #8065
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

ONS data from community tests in England show one in every 75 people had Covid in the week to 6 August.

While positive tests "continued to be high", ONS estimates suggest "an overall decreasing trend" over the past two weeks.

England's R number is estimated at between 0.8 and 1, down slightly from 0.8 and 1.1 last week.

Nearly a third of adults aged under 30 in England haven't had a Covid jab, according to NHS England estimates.

Analysis of UK hospitals shows that, overall, more than one in 10 people in hospital with Covid caught the virus while they were there.

The competition watchdog is investigating the price of PCR Covid tests, after high costs were blamed for putting people off travel.

US drug regulators have given approval for immunocompromised Americans to get an additional Covid jab as a booster.

Old 08-13-21, 09:35 AM   #8066
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
…it would be funny to hear her tell you to FO!
Hmm, story of my life. “Hey whats your name?’”. “FO!”

Old 08-13-21, 09:46 AM   #8067
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
The primary reason common flu and colds are down is simply because of greater handwashing and mask wearing, etc., things that people usually are less than strict about normally. Even just washing your hands frequently will geatly lessen your chances of getting a cold.
Let's revisit this. This argument that colds and flu are down because of hand washing and masks. These actions, we were told, we're necessary to prevent transmission of COVID.

When you look at the data from this past 2020-2021 cold and flu season, yes, the numbers of cold and flu cases are vastly reduced from prior years. However, COVID cases continued to rise throughout the winter.

So - how can masks and hand washing (and social distancing) be claimed as stopping colds and flu, while at the same time, not stopping COVID?

The answer is that these actions have *never* prevented transmission of respiratory viruses that spread by aerosol. The answer is the COVID outcompeted flu and RSV through roughly end of December 2020. When you look at burdens in early 2021, you'll see that COVID cases decreased, not because of vaccines, but because rhinovirus started outcompeting COVID. As we moved into summer, rhinovirus began to be outcompeted by COVID. *ALL* respiratory viruses are sharply seasonal.

The data is all there for anyone to see. You just have to recognize that respiratory viruses with animal reservoirs can *not* be eliminated like you would with smallpox. We should do as I've been saying all along - treat it as an endemic virus.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 09:52 AM   #8068
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 08-13-21, 10:35 AM   #8069
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Common colds in kids are going steeply upwards in Germany. Probably due to a.) over-hygienics that gave the immune system no more training on other germs than Covid-19, and b.) the end of holiday season and schools opening again in first states.

It also is said that Delta harms kids more than previous strains, causing more seriosu cases amongts them. They start to see a larger percentage of kids in hospitals. Whether this is a regional phenomenon or valid for the whole nation, is not yet clear.

The WHO slowly goes on a more confronting course against China, with staff insisting that the lab origin theory is a valid scenario. China is fuming, demanding to exclusively focus on a politically commanded view of things, not an explanation meeting scientifically-medical facts and standards.
Old 08-13-21, 10:41 AM   #8070
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Hmm, story of my life. “Hey whats your name?’”. “FO!”
"She's so cute with that get back stare..."

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan