SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-31-12, 07:43 PM   #691
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
You just made my day
It worked
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-12, 08:08 PM   #692
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Mostly , the smoke has stopped resetting IE: dissapeares when the water drops appear . The problem of the smoke rendering at the wrong spot still happens though . Ok well , it seems better than it was . I am sure if you open up the file FX_Update_0_0_19_ByTheDarkWraith\data\Library\TDW_ FXU_Zone_Smokes.dat with Goblin you can see the problem .
Excellent. At least the resetting has been fixed (for the most part). I'll mark that down to look into much later as to maybe figuring out why it happens when that render is enabled
Old 07-31-12, 08:19 PM   #693
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Mostly , the smoke has stopped resetting IE: dissapeares when the water drops appear . Ok , it still dissapears a bit , it seems better than it was
Try adjusting the max particles number to a larger value and see if that helps
Old 07-31-12, 09:24 PM   #694
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
I dont think the problem is the smoke particles . I think the problem is the game doesnt like the way the file is structured . If i open the file TDW_FXU_Zone_Smokes.dat with goblin then it is red (something wrong ) . If i open TDW_FXU_Interior_Smoke.dat you can see that it opens correctly in Goblin . The GDS scene tree looks diffrent in the Smokes.dat compared to the TDW_FXU_Interior_Smoke.dat .
I'll take a look at it
Old 07-31-12, 11:26 PM   #695
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Anything look different in this screenshot

Hmm....crew is on deck while sub is decks awash...well yeah that would be a new patch I'm working on Appropriately named decks awash. You can take the sub down to ~7m depth before electric engines engage and crew disappears. The only thing I have left to do on it is 'unlock' the external hatch when decks awash so you can open/close it (so game doesn't always force it closed and locked).
Old 08-01-12, 03:26 AM   #696
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
The new Sub on bottom fix have a new third-party effect.
The sub is dive lower than required in the Uboat.cfg file..
For example:
PeriscopeDepth
in the file - 12m, when Sub on bottom fix enabled - 14m
SnorkelDepth
in the file - 14m, when Sub on bottom fix enabled - 16m
Hi TDW!

I notice the same...??

The PeriscopeDepth from my VIIA Sub is now (after Fix enabled) 13m, and this is too short for my Obs-Periscope (I use CSP MaGUI from Dr.Jones). The Obs-Persicope does not raise over the water surface, it is too short (fully raised)! With Attack-Periscope is all okay!

Have you a solution for that problem?

And 2nd question: I´ve patched my .exe with the v1_0_48, and then I began the patrol. Now I´m during mid-patrol. Can I patch my .exe with the new v1_0_49 Patch during Mid-Patrol and then load a savegame to continue the patrol, or must I wait until I´m back in port?

Best regards,
Magic
Old 08-01-12, 06:47 AM   #697
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
gotta love math and numbers
More or less. All I know about maths dates back to my university years, when I was a student of science. Now I am forgetting a lot of notions, but I mostly retain the method

Quote:
I'll post the whole damage equation that SH5 is using here soon so you can see what they are doing
do it, I'll look at it and see if I can understand anything

On a side note:
I see you like random variables as much as I do
I guess you're currently using pseudo-random numbers coming from an uniform distribution, since most programming languages got quick functions for generating them. Nevertheless normal distribution is by far the most common distribution as far as physics and natural events are concerned. Have you ever thought of using it?
There are some methods for converting "uniform" random numbers into "normal" ones. For example, here's a really easy method for doing it:

http://www.protonfish.com/random.shtml

In this example, the mean (Mu) would be the result of your formula before randomization, while you should choose wisely a realistic standard deviation value (Sigma) based on the amount of variation from the mean you want for the event you try to simulate.

Another conversion method, a bit more complex:

http://www.taygeta.com/random/gaussian.html
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 07:59 AM   #698
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
On a side note:
I see you like random variables as much as I do
I guess you're currently using pseudo-random numbers coming from an uniform distribution, since most programming languages got quick functions for generating them. Nevertheless normal distribution is by far the most common distribution as far as physics and natural events are concerned. Have you ever thought of using it?
There are some methods for converting "uniform" random numbers into "normal" ones. For example, here's a really easy method for doing it:

http://www.protonfish.com/random.shtml

In this example, the mean (Mu) would be the result of your formula before randomization, while you should choose wisely a realistic standard deviation value (Sigma) based on the amount of variation from the mean you want for the event you try to simulate.

Another conversion method, a bit more complex:

http://www.taygeta.com/random/gaussian.html
I'm using a kernel function that is present in the game to get the random number. I'll have to 'open up' this kernel function and see how it's getting the random number.

I'll post the zone (box) damage routine calculations when I get back from a job this morning
Old 08-01-12, 08:02 AM   #699
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic1111 View Post
The PeriscopeDepth from my VIIA Sub is now (after Fix enabled) 13m, and this is too short for my Obs-Periscope (I use CSP MaGUI from Dr.Jones). The Obs-Persicope does not raise over the water surface, it is too short (fully raised)! With Attack-Periscope is all okay!

Have you a solution for that problem?

And 2nd question: I´ve patched my .exe with the v1_0_48, and then I began the patrol. Now I´m during mid-patrol. Can I patch my .exe with the new v1_0_49 Patch during Mid-Patrol and then load a savegame to continue the patrol, or must I wait until I´m back in port?
As far as the periscope depth I'll look into it more closely when I get back from a job today.

I don't see why you couldn't patch the exe mid patrol but then again I'm not 100% sure what the effects of it are. You should be fine
Old 08-01-12, 08:33 AM   #700
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic1111 View Post
and this is too short for my Obs-Periscope (I use CSP MaGUI from Dr.Jones).
Sorry TDW, I meant "too deep" for my... NOT too short...13m Periscope Depth is too deep...(my bad english...)

Quote:
As far as the periscope depth I'll look into it more closely when I get back from a job today.
Okay, thx, I´m looking forward...!
Old 08-01-12, 12:45 PM   #701
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
I'm using a kernel function that is present in the game to get the random number. I'll have to 'open up' this kernel function and see how it's getting the random number.
Try and see: I think that knowing the routine devs have put in place for generating random numbers is worth the time you would have to spend for discovering it!

Using gaussian distribution would allow us to model a wider range of outputs for some random events, keeping in the same time the probability of unlikely events reasonably low.

Quote:
I'll post the zone (box) damage routine calculations when I get back from a job this morning
okay
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 01:30 PM   #702
Sepp von Ch.
Sea Lord

Downloads: 788

Quote:

crew is on deck while sub is decks awash....
Fantastic news! Many thanks! Looking forward to this fix!!!
Sepp von Ch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 01:48 PM   #703
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfish40 View Post
Yes, 1.0.49, I'm loading tonight. Just to make sure... I will disable all patchs before I load this one.
Can I keep my currant patrol or should I start the patrol over once again? I ask, because I saved in a good place to test the damages I inflict with a torpedo and the deck gun. If I start over I'll have to wait for the next opportunity.
Thanks
D40
I enabled it in the middle of the patrol and now I'm in base and everything still ok..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 02:41 PM   #704
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
I enabled it in the middle of the patrol and now I'm in base and everything still ok..
Great, thanks for that. Exciting patches, can't wait to get home and get this installed.
Old 08-01-12, 03:40 PM   #705
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfish40 View Post
Great, thanks for that. Exciting patches, can't wait to get home and get this installed.
oh there's so much more to come