Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-08, 03:55 PM   #676
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

I'm still around guys, I d/c'd to check my settings to prevent lag and to try and reconnect to TS, which seems to have crashed. Let me know when you're ready to reconnect
Old 10-19-08, 05:06 AM   #677
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Introducing Mishka and Nikita, your Catmissars for this campaign. Have you all been good comrades?
Old 10-19-08, 12:14 PM   #678
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

What was it that Hunter said to make those things go away yesterday?
Old 10-19-08, 05:11 PM   #679
Oberon
Lucky Jack

I'll put the pics up here this time, as they're more a diary of our group than anything else

Two missions tonight with only Raptor, Oberon and HunterICX against the might of the Russia vodka-fueled air force! The first mission, Herr Dicke sends us up to destroy the Soviet air force, no more, no less. On the way there we discuss ways to achieve this feat, however, we decide the only way is to bomb the vodka factories. We make a note to tell this to Onkel Goring when we return. Meanwhile, Raptor gets buzzed by Oberon:

Eventually the gallant three encountered some enemies, P40s, and Raptor set to work shooting down a 109 and then displaying his heroic determination to find the best gulags in the Soviet Union, he rammed another aircraft and bailed out. Hunter meanwhile had discovered Stalins secret weapon! P40s with autopilot:

Oberon meanwhile blundered about the sky and found nothing to shoot at. 'Oh for a stable target to shoot at' he wished. Little did he realise his dream was about to become his nightmare!! (dramatic chord here)

The next mission started off with heavy snow and cloud layer at 1800. Joy. But the Luftwaffles were full of cheer on their way to the target, because as our wingleader pointed out, we had the Death Star on our side:

How could we lose?
Bugged by that question, we set about trying to find out the answer.
Eventually we found some Soviets to play with, Pe3s I believe, and Hunter set about demolishing them with vigour, halted only when he got two IL-16s on his tail. Raptor, well, we're not sure what happened to Raptor but it resulted in him parachuting into downtown Murmansk. However, Oberon was as pleased as punch, finally a fairly slow moving target for him to shoot at!
Sadly, it shot back:

After a mutual benefaction of German/Soviet relations had taken place through the exchange of munitions, Oberon broke for home, but his engine was making decidedly un-Daimler Benz-ish noises. And to compound matters, the two IL-16s who were still following Hunter spotted an easy prey. Oberon attempted to dive into the cloud to escape, but they kept coming, when suddenly a rattle of MG fire meant only one thing! Hunter to the rescue!!

The IL-16s, confused by this new predator, fled the scene, and as Oberon descended into the cloud layer, his worst fear came true. The fine piece of German engineering in front of him sadly passed away.
Nearly three grid squares from the front lines at three thousand meters? Could he make it home?

Nyet Tovarich.

Less than half a grid square from the front lines, the 109 skidded into the snow. The Catmissars teleporting in to arrest Oberon the second he leapt from the wreck. He can, perhaps, take solace in the fact that he will no doubt be imprisoned with Gulag favourite Raptor1, who can show him the ropes.
Hunter, meanwhile, continued home, and despite zero visibility, managed to make an almost flawless landing.

Meanwhile, the Pe-3 which Oberon had danced with, landed, taxied into the ramp and disappeared, never to be seen again. As Oberon was marched by the Catmissars to the Gulag, he suddenly felt as if he had shot down an enemy plane. He was rather confused at how he had managed this, but happy that he had shot something anyway.

So ends todays story.
Old 10-19-08, 05:26 PM   #680
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Yea those Pe-3s can cause chaos whan attacking from behin, Ive had my engine shot many times by those tail gunners.
Old 10-19-08, 05:31 PM   #681
Raptor1
Navy Seal

In the second sortie I was attacking a Pe-3, my engine got shot to pieces by the tail gunner and another Peshka decided it was time to put that idiot with the wingtip smoke out of his misery, which of course ended in my burning plane crashing into the icy waters of the Kola Inlet and me parachuting into downtown Murmansk

I really should attack them from some different angle

Anyway, those Vodka factories have to die! Contact Junkers, tell them to put the 390 in production, schnell!

Oh, wait, this thing wasn't designed yet, contact Dornier for their Do 19s then!

Last edited by Raptor1; 10-19-08 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-19-08, 06:43 PM   #682
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Nice pics and story Oberon It's always pleasant to read those.

Looks like you comrades had a fun again. Have you decided on which is your favourite gulag already? I'm sorry I wasn't able to join you, as I was drafted to help our II/JG53 comrades in our old "home" in Afrika. I still made the enemy pay dearly by shooting down three B-17s on the first mission and four Spitfires on the second, so not everything was lost.

I hope they send some of those excellent G-2s to the north too

Those Pe-2s and -3s are imho best attacked from their high 4-5 or 7-8 o'clock. The AI rear gunners seem to have a hard time hitting you at that angle.

Some pics from Afrika:

Too afraid to go near the rear sector of a B-17, this typical to my attacks. I come in from the most exotic angles

This Spitfire needs some glue

A Spitfeuer lives up to its name

What the hell is wrong with these things? They just fold up and die

Last edited by Fincuan; 10-19-08 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-19-08, 07:09 PM   #683
Raptor1
Navy Seal

I would tell you I was glad you had fun too Fin, but it looks like the Russians are going to throw me into the river again (I promised Hunter and Oberon that I won't talk and reveal all the Luftwaffle's secrets before getting tortured this time)

BTW Does the G-2 have the MK 108 already or does that come later?

Last edited by Raptor1; 10-20-08 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-20-08, 02:39 AM   #684
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1
BTW Does the G-2 have the MK 108 already or does that come later?
The G2 has the optional gunpods under the wings.

@Oberon, great After Action report mate

@Fin, ow we had fun...the first sortie we slaughtered the P-40's who where on a bombing mission. The second mission we got whooped by PE-3's and I-16's I managed to shoot down a Pe-3 before I got chased by I-16's with no wingman left, as the last 109 survivor and low on ammo I ran home with the tail between my legs

HunterICX
Old 10-20-08, 02:50 AM   #685
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

@Hunter, you're skin looks awfully familiar.
Old 10-20-08, 03:08 AM   #686
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Wow...now thats a lucky coincedence.

HunterICX
Old 10-20-08, 03:17 AM   #687
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

The MK108 option comes with G6, while the MG151/20 gunpods can be installed in G2 already. In that bomber mission I had the gunpods installed, while I did not have them against the Spits.

That MK108 is a real beast btw, according to this almost five times the destructive power of the MG151/20.

This vid would almost frighten me should I fly a Spit against an MK108 armed Luftwaffel:
Old 10-20-08, 03:40 AM   #688
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincuan
This vid would almost frighten me should I fly a Spit against an MK108 armed Luftwaffel:
that indeed looks very painfull, but I wouldnt be comfortable knowing the RAF had these.

the 20mm Hispano:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=afPHMz25l8U

the 20mm hispano firing (static gun emplacement) but it gives you the idea that you really dont want something like that on your Six.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc9E8_ZuESQ

HunterICX
Old 10-20-08, 05:21 AM   #689
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Thanks I forgot to mention the nationality of that destroyer Hunter sunk, we all thought it was a Russkie, but nope, it would seem Hunter has accelerated the American arrival in the European war

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ward

Great pics Fin, the Gustav is a nice old bird, had a chance to meet one face to face earlier this year:

If you're ever in the UK and in London, the RAF Museum is WELL worth a visit, easy to get to (Colindale on the tube) and free to get in. Recommended
Old 10-20-08, 06:06 AM   #690
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Nice photo, Oberon.
the Real Pilot Oberon next to his machine

btw..is that a ME262 I spot in the background?

HunterICX