SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-31-10, 05:41 PM   #5731
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Radio messages work as intended with the patch .
I deleted the sh5 folder in my documents and restarted the campaighn AGAIN for the 27 millionth time .
The only problem i had was when exiting the save to go back to the main menu after playing for a while . Curser stuck on the exit on bottom right . Message on desktop ,'' silent hunter 5 created game logs successfully'' .

I like the way i can TC and read the messages and delete them as i am on TC , nice feature . I do this while heading to my patrol point , gives me something to do instead of just looking at the screen LOL .
you'll only get that dialog box one time of "...\Logs created successfully". The only reason you get it in the first place is because the mod had to create the folder on your computer. I let you know that it was created (by the dailog box) so that you know what's going on Some people may never see it if they ever created a ship's journal (first time you create a journal that folder is created also)

Like I said before I didn't realize how much more immersion those little radio messages add to the game (and yes it gives you something to do while heading to your patrol point).

Thinking ahead here: I think the next iteration of the radio messages should have BDU contacting you after some period of time for a status update if you haven't radio'd in for some time. I also think that it should spawn some random radio reports from other subs (or ships) informing you about a contact located near by (since I know all the contacts in the game I can find a contact near you and spawn a radio message about it). Other ideas?

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 12-31-10 at 06:19 PM.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 10:57 PM   #5732
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

With the automation is there an automation for the player camera . Say i want to pan the camera around left and then right . The same as scope i guess but just player camera .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 01:27 PM   #5733
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

if you were to receive a radio message telling you to report in who would it come from? Oberkommando der Kriegsmarine or BEFEHLSHABER DER U-BOOTE or ??

If you were to receive a radio message telling you about a possible contact to intercept and check out who would it come from?
Old 01-01-11, 02:15 PM   #5734
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Hello DarkWraith,
it would always come from the BdU (Behehlshaber der U-Boote), aka Doenitz . Even orders issued by Hitler or Raeder would get through to Doenitz, who would then have ordered "his" men to act accordingly. The very last order to surrender and fly the requested black flag was certainly also transmitted by Doenitz, since he was then the theoretical leader of Germany after Hitler's suicide.

And "b.t.w." thanks for this mod
and a Happy New Year,

Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 03:05 PM   #5735
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Adding more to this radio messages feature. Now I've got BDU sending you messages. Current message it can send is asking for a status report:

The background color is cyan for all BDU status reports. The 'normal' radio messages are the greybackground. There is a 50/50 chance everyday that BDU will send you this message asking for status. If you do not respond they will continue to hound you every 2 hours until you do or 8pm has passed. If BDU sends you this message it will occur at a random time between 0800 and 2000. Is a 50/50 chance too much?

Now I'm going to add contact reports that BDU can send to you. Since I know every contact in the game this allows me to do some intersting things. When you send in a status report I'm going to have BDU look for any contact reports in your area (area defined by a radius defined in options file). Depending upon a random chance (signaling there are contact reports for your area), they may send you a contact report. If there are several contact reports for your area I'm going to have them choose one. When they send you a contact report it will show up as a medium yellow background and it will state you need to investigate the contact. How does this sound?

What else?

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 01-01-11 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-01-11, 03:05 PM   #5736
col_Kurtz
XO

Downloads: 341

Hello again...

Radio messagess are fantastic. I only have one problem that puzzles me. What is the number of my submarine?
When leaving the port of Kiel received this message...

Anyway thank you very much for this new stuff. Messages and lighthouses More life in this game
Step behind you... My U is 021 Uff... I`m survived lol That`s great! I can talk to BDU too
What if I sent my report status... My U empty tubes... almost empty tanks, will I received: back home?

DRM it`s a horror, horror... col. Kurtz Apocalypse Now
WinXP Pro SP3 2x1GB Geil 800Mhz DDR2, ATI 4850 Asus Top, E2160 1.80 Ghz overlocked to 2.79Ghz MoBo Asus P5b
col_Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 03:10 PM   #5737
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_Kurtz View Post
Hello again...

Radio messagess are fantastic. I only have one problem that puzzles me. What is the number of my submarine?
Excellent question! I almost forgot to mention that in v6.2.0 the options file will have the following changes to it:

##################################### Ships Journal ##################################################
# ship's hull number
UboatHullNumber = "U021"

# ship's captain name
UboatCaptainName = "TheDarkWraith"

# the regular time interval when entries will be made into the ship's journal denoting: Position (Lat and Long), Course, Weather, and whether following waypoints or not. Value is in hours.
# enter a value below for the time period in hours
JournalEntryIntervalTime = 6.0

This will allow you to specify your hull number and captain name. The hull number is needed for the BDU messages
Old 01-01-11, 03:18 PM   #5738
col_Kurtz
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Excellent question! I almost forgot to mention that in v6.2.0 the options file will have the following changes to it:

##################################### Ships Journal ##################################################
# ship's hull number
UboatHullNumber = "U021"

# ship's captain name
UboatCaptainName = "TheDarkWraith"

# the regular time interval when entries will be made into the ship's journal denoting: Position (Lat and Long), Course, Weather, and whether following waypoints or not. Value is in hours.
# enter a value below for the time period in hours
JournalEntryIntervalTime = 6.0

This will allow you to specify your hull number and captain name. The hull number is needed for the BDU messages
Great Fantastic! So put correctly emblem and this will be my own U

WinXP Pro SP3 2x1GB Geil 800Mhz DDR2, ATI 4850 Asus Top, E2160 1.80 Ghz overlocked to 2.79Ghz MoBo Asus P5b
Old 01-01-11, 03:34 PM   #5739
Captain Can
Soundman

Downloads: 65

TDW i have a quick question to ask.
Do i have to install new versions of your UI mod while i am docked ? or can i install them at mid-patrol ? i am still on a patrol with 6.0.0 and i am so excited about radio messages so i want to install 6.1.0
Old 01-01-11, 03:38 PM   #5740
col_Kurtz
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Can View Post
TDW i have a quick question to ask.
Do i have to install new versions of your UI mod while i am docked ? or can i install them at mid-patrol ? i am still on a patrol with 6.0.0 and i am so excited about radio messages so i want to install 6.1.0
At port - Always

Old 01-01-11, 03:44 PM   #5741
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_Kurtz View Post
At port - Always
I recommend at port also. Just found a bug in the radio messages while testing BDU asking for status report (I ignored them and was waiting for them to pester me again). Those radio messages that are supposed to keep retransmitting (either due to you not sending status report or you were submerged greater than depth to receive radio) aren't. Will be fixed in v6.2.0
Old 01-01-11, 04:05 PM   #5742
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

sober just PM'd me about whether we can have enigma coded messages. Yes we can. It's just a matter of writing the code for it and someone making the enigma coded radio message text files.

Good thing he mentioned this to me now so I can update the code to already have the ability to determine whether the message is a regular (uncoded) or coded message
Old 01-01-11, 04:10 PM   #5743
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

and i just sent you a link for the enigma machine . Its freeware , not to be used for commercial purposes etc .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 04:24 PM   #5744
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

Quote:
Now I'm going to add contact reports that BDU can send to you. Since I know every contact in the game this allows me to do some intersting things. When you send in a status report I'm going to have BDU look for any contact reports in your area (area defined by a radius defined in options file). Depending upon a random chance (signaling there are contact reports for your area), they may send you a contact report. If there are several contact reports for your area I'm going to have them choose one. When they send you a contact report it will show up as a medium yellow background and it will state you need to investigate the contact. How does this sound?
At least!
Looks perfect...
But what happens if player do not send status or do not answer for report/status request?
Penalty? No bonuses? No renown?

Maybe it can be connected with your next idea.
No reports - no contacts with BdU (BdU things that your ship is sunk).

Quote:
What else?
Cooperate with wolf pack of course:
1) Report for convoy (answer: attack / follow)
2) Follow the convoy (send update position and wait for uboats)
3) Reach new position for convoy attack

Active cooperation with BdU at long-distance patrols:
4) Refuel with tankers* / raiders / milkcows / bases (like at "Das Boot")
5) Refuel other uboats (you give them)

Active cooperation with BdU:
6) Allow to return to base if uboat is seriously damaged (after status report)
7) Help if uboat has no fuel **
8) End patrol if uboat has no fuel and is at ocean ***

Cooperate with exit/enter to port
9) Meet and follow the patrol craft to protect enter to mine fields ("Iron Coffins" book) ****

* Kriegsmarine had a small fleet of tankers at Atlantic at first years of IIWW, last one was sunk... 1940? After that the milkcows were used.
** My best career at SH3 with 100% and 2.5 mln BRT ended because I lost fuel to return to base.
*** Maybe screen and random option as "how this patrol ends": sunk / taken by enemy / returned safe
**** Maybe only option when return to port: to end patrol meet with ship X at Y pos at Z time (contact ship may be sunk by enemy).

I don't know how many ideas is possible. Maybe refuelling is possible with meeting a real ship 'with ship X at Y pos at Z time' ? Maybe only a random option with message like 'met U-464 and refuelled with ...'

Anyway, looks really perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (SH5 Review)
A couple years back I was asked what I thought was the next step for subsims, I said:
- compelling radio traffic,
- complex objectives like shadowing convoys,
- genuine wolfpack activity,
- more role-playing with the crew,
- and full boat access".

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 04:34 PM   #5745
col_Kurtz
XO

...and I`d like to feel this pressure from mein Fuhrer "Be more agrressive!" after sinking 25 000brt I`m serious Just like in the SH3.
And... the last thing at this moment... What about characteristic net on the map http://www.uboat.net/maps/grid.html? Sometimes I receiving message... Sunk at AM0145... I know what is this... but I can find this on the map This should be back with order: Patrol area/square AN56/96 hours.

Tags
dbrn, favorite, new ui