Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-18, 02:57 PM   #5686
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Mueller's office asks FBI to investigate claims that women were offered money to falsely accuse Mueller of sexual misconduct

Quote:
The special counsel Robert Mueller's office has referred an alleged scheme to the FBI for investigation in which a political operative offered to pay women to falsely accuse Mueller of sexual misconduct and workplace harassment, a spokesman for his office told Business Insider.

"When we learned last week of allegations that women were offered money to make false claims about the Special Counsel, we immediately referred the matter to the FBI for investigation," the spokesman, Peter Carr, said in a statement.

The lobbyist at the center of the alleged scheme, Jack Burkman, claimed that on Thursday he "will reveal the first of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's sex assault victims."
Old 10-30-18, 03:21 PM   #5687
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Whether you believe in "birthright citizenship" or not I think an equally important factor is if an executive order can override the requirement for an Act of Congress.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-46034989

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 10-30-18, 03:33 PM   #5688
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Trump has signed so many presidential decrees and 'executive orders' that anyone following will have a hard time to revoke all this trash.
I just wonder why and how this is even possible, without congress.
Maybe Trump could reintroduce slavery by 'executive order'?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 10-30-18, 04:26 PM   #5689
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Trump has signed so many presidential decrees and 'executive orders' that anyone following will have a hard time to revoke all this trash.
Number of executive orders by the last 5 Presidents.

George H. W. Bush (1989–1993) 166

Bill Clinton (1993–2001) 364

George W. Bush (2001–2009) 291

Barack Obama (2009–2017) 276

Donald Trump (2017–present) 85

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ecutive_orders

Quote:
If you were willing to do a little research you could find that out.

Quote:

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 10-30-18, 04:33 PM   #5690
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

Will still be awhile before President Trump matches President Obama's 275 executive orders.

Please seek treatment for your Trump Derangement Syndrome.
Old 10-30-18, 04:50 PM   #5691
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
Will still be awhile before President Trump matches President Obama's 275 executive orders.
Please seek treatment for your Trump Derangement Syndrome.
Point taken

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 10-30-18, 05:15 PM   #5692
August
Wayfaring Stranger

There is a key phrase in the 14th amendment: "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof."

There are some who say this means that illegal aliens (opposed to legal immigrants), are by definition foreign citizens subject to the jurisdiction of their home countries, not the US, and therefore are not included in the 14th amendment protection.

I'm probably not stating it the best but i am pretty sure that's the general idea.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 10-30-18, 05:35 PM   #5693
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

We can't have it both ways.

If we consider that illegal aliens are not "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" Then we can't be throwing them in jail (we don't have jurisdiction) and the 14th amendment does not apply to them

If we consider that illegal aliens are "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" and we can throw them in jail (we do have jurisdiction) , then the 14th amendment applies to them.

We can't say that the 14th amendment sometimes applies and sometimes doesn't.

Traditionally and through court decisions the term "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" applies to people that have special diplomatic type relationships meaning that they are still bound by the jurisdiction of their host.

For the record, I believe that the 14th amendment needs to be rewritten, but that needs to follow the approved processes for amending the constitution, not an EO.
Old 10-31-18, 02:32 PM   #5694
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Number of executive orders by the last 5 Presidents.

George H. W. Bush (1989–1993) 166

Bill Clinton (1993–2001) 364

George W. Bush (2001–2009) 291

Barack Obama (2009–2017) 276

Donald Trump (2017–present) 85
It should be noted that, with the exception of GHW Bush, who only served one term of four years, the other listed Presidents' totals are for an eight year period and Trump's is only a bit over two years; at 85 EOs issued thus far, Trump is on pace to issue approximately 340 EOs, if he manages, by some sad twist of fate, to serve two full terms. Hey, he might even be able to surpass Clinton's record...

I am enjoying how the attempt to smear Mueller came apart at the seams like a very cheap, shoddy suit. How they ever thought they were going to get away with their farce is beyond comedy...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 10-31-18 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-31-18, 03:09 PM   #5695
u crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
It should be noted that, with the exception of GHW Bush, who only served one term of four years, the other listed Presidents' totals are for an eight year period and Trump's is only a bit over two years;
That should be pretty obvious as I gave the dates, but thanks for pointing that out.

My reason for that post is to point out another obvious fact.....recent Presidents have issued a lot of executive orders.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 10-31-18, 03:46 PM   #5696
vienna
Navy Seal

Trump's about on par in the count...

...unless you discount all his EOs that have been voided or called back because they were illegal or in violation of the pesky Constitution thing...

Watching all the reports on Trump's latest efforts to ignore the Constitution, the statement by Trump that House Speaker Paul Ryan knows nothing about birthright citizenship:

Quote:

“Paul Ryan should be focusing on holding the Majority rather than giving his opinions on Birthright Citizenship, something he knows nothing about!”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...ht-citizenship

Such a statement coming from someone who entered the Oval Office with virtually no knowledge of this country, its history, or it laws would be laughable if it, and he weren't so damnably pathetic. I say we have Trump take the citizenship test that is required of all immigrants seeking naturalization and let's see how he fares; or better yet let's have him take a grade school civics test and see if he passes. This nation has sunk pretty low when a moron is allowed to take the helm...

Its going to be interesting to see the fallout if the GOP loses the House; normally, the House Speaker, being the ranking party member, if his party loses control is saddled with the blame for the loss; but Ryan, who has already refused to stand for reelection and will be leaving the House at the end of the term, won't be around to be the scapegoat; I also think no rational, sensible person could in any logical way place the blame for a GOP loss of control st Ryan's doorstep; I have had a long respect for Ryan and, even though I have questioned some of his recent choices, I do understand their basis; it is a damned shame such a capable individual will be smeared with the detritus spewed by the Great Trumpkin...

<O>
Old 10-31-18, 04:21 PM   #5697
August
Wayfaring Stranger

How many of Trumps Executive Orders were rescinding Obamas Executive Orders?

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 10-31-18, 04:46 PM   #5698
u crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Its going to be interesting to see the fallout if the GOP loses the House..
If Trump's loss rate is less than Obama's 2010 score, 63, ya know he's gonna brag about it.

As to the Birthright Citizenship thing... come on. If you don't realize that this is Trump playing to his base just days before an election you haven't been paying attention.

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 10-31-18, 04:48 PM   #5699
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
How many of Trumps Executive Orders were rescinding Obamas Executive Orders?

...and how many of of Trump's recinds were knocked down by courts or are still in limbo pending court action? Just look at how many times he had to issue his travel ban because he and his idiot minions had no idea of how to properly (or logically) frame and issue an EO. The guy's shot himself in the rear so many times, its amazing he's got any cheeks left. That is one big point regarding next Tuesday's mid-terms: there is still a rather high possibility Trump will do or say something to scotch the GOP needlessly...

...and the idiot stupidity doesn't fall far from the tree:

Twitter Users Needle Donald Trump Jr. For Telling People To Vote On The Wrong Day --

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0da7bfc1674be

I'm sure the DEMs hope the loyal Right will heed the sage advice of Trump Jr. ...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 10-31-18 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-31-18, 05:15 PM   #5700
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
If Trump's loss rate is less than Obama's 2010 score, 63, ya know he's gonna brag about it.

As to the Birthright Citizenship thing... come on. If you don't realize that this is Trump playing to his base just days before an election you haven't been paying attention.

Oh, I'm sure, if the GOP loses the House, Trump will do everything to make it look like lollypops and kittens; Trump is the King of the stumbling "I really meant to do that" stance. What I meant by the fallout was in reference to the GOP leadership and how they will view such a loss, if it happens: Ryan won't be around to be the whipping boy and I din't expect any of the high level GOP leaders to take on that mantle; the possibility they would leap at the chance to dump Trump if a DEM-led House moves on impeachment may be greatly increased. I've noted, of late, how Pence has made himself a bit more prominent of late, such as making quick statements of sympathy in the last two tragedies, preempting Trump. Could it be there is movement in the GOP background to make Pence a more attractive alternative to the public as a means of easing out Trump?...

...and. of course I know Trump's playing to his base, as likewise idiotic, lame and un-knowledgeable hey are as their leader, and I also know its only because he knows if he really addressed the base issues voters are concerned about; polls have shown voters are more concerned about the future of health care, the state of the economy, and other close-to-home matters than they are about the hoo-haa and bluster Trump is espousing. The main problem with those issues is Trump, in particular, and the GOP, in general, have little or nothing to campaign on in those issues. It should be remembered neither Trump, nor the GOP, achieved a clear mandate in the 2016 Election and Trump, in particular, couldn't even get a plurality of the popular vote, even running against a dud of a candidate as Hillary Clinton; his base is, and has thus far been, a marked minority of the total voter pool. I don't know what its like in other parts of the country, or even in Northern California, for that matter, but here in SoCal, immigration isn't really all that big an issue in the candidate's ads; and, even more noteworthy, the GOP candidates, even in the highly GOP Orange County, are staying as far away as possible from being tied to Trump. In fact, an awful lot of the ads this go-around aren't being paid for and presented by specific candidates or, regarding ballot issues, organized committees, but, rather, by a slew of PACs, many of them being funded by out-of-state concerns. I would be very curious to hear how the campaigns have been presented in other areas of the US...

<O>

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter