SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-01-05, 12:31 PM   #511
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Ok, I have sent 2.03 to Bill.

Here is the 2.03 addition to the readme:

Quote:
LuftWolf and Amizaur’s Weapons and Sensors Realism Mod v2.03
Hosted by www.subguru.com
Readme by LuftWolf
Edited by Amizaur

Amizaur has made a more substantial and significant contribution to the creation of this mod than me. Tgio has made a significant and direct contribution.

Thank you to finiteless, Ludger, and jsteed for their contributions to modding DW. Thank you to Bill “Subguru” Nichols for hosting the work of so many talents modders and mission designers. Thank you to Molon Labe for extensive testing and multiplayer testing.

All doctrines by Amizaur.

The purpose of this mod is, straightforwardly, to address the aspects of DW game-play that most bother its authors, while improving the simulation experience and fixing bugs, without introducing any new ones. Thank you in advance for downloading this mod. Please send as much feedback as you can via the dedicated thread on the www.subsim.com mod forum, http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopi...=41581&start=0.

INSTALLATION: Backup your stock Database and Doctrine folders by copying them to a safe place apart from your DW directory. Unzip the file into your Dangerous Waters directory, allowing your unzip program to overwrite all files. The Database and Doctrine files will install to the correct directories automatically. NOTE: Saved games created with one Database are not compatible with any other versions of the database, however, you can restore a previous version of the Database at any time to load saved games associated with that Database.

Note: This mod represents substantial changes to DW core game-play, and as such, will probably require fine-tuning in subsequent versions to particular values based on game-play experiences. However, such is the case precisely because, we feel, it represents a quantum leap towards bringing out the full potential of the massive and dynamic DW engine in terms of providing the feel of a quality simulation experience for both those new to the simulation genre and weathered deep blue warriors. Please send us AAR’s and comments in as great a quantity as you can! We would be especially encouraged to hear from players in the multiplayer community.

CAUTION: Missions designed for stock DW v1.01 maybe made unplayable by the greatly reduced detection ranges in this mod. We strongly encourage mission designers who enjoy the mod to support it by creating missions designed with these new realistic parameters specifically in mind. We plan on releasing a guide for mission designers along with the expanded charts and tables to assist you in this endeavor. Please let us know if there is *anything* we can do to help you design missions for our mod!

A Sound vs. Speed profile chart and new Ship, Sub, and Torpedo specification table will be released in support of this readme, to cover any specific changes to AI ships or weaponry (such as the complete listing of sonar parameter assignments) not covered in this document, however, I have taken to care to note the most important specific parameter changes to user platforms and weapons.

Specific changes for v2.03:

The installation procedure has been streamlined and the stock-mod switch bat files have been removed for ease of installation and operation.

CIWSAttack, SubAvoidWeap, Missile Doctrines¬— For CIWSAttack and SubAvoidWeap doctrines, comments have been moved to prevent error returns in the doctrine proofreader. This has not changed any aspect of game-play and has been done as a precautionary measure. The doctrines had been functioning correctly and should still work the same as before. For the Missile doctrine, a variable that previously was not declared has been added to the declaration list.

Iranian Kilos—The UGST has been replaced with the USET-80 for all Iranian Kilos.

Active Intercept—The baffle has been removed for all Active Intercept systems, giving them 360 degree coverage, as we believe to be accurate.
Enjoy!

Cheers,
David
Old 11-02-05, 02:26 PM   #512
Fish
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0

Two questions Sirs.
First, I understand the install/uninstall option is no longer there?
Second, did you lower the sounds of the Biologics?
Seems they have the same loudness as in the stock game.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-05, 04:50 PM   #513
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

The biologics remain at the same sound level, but now they might show up more clearly on the Sphere and Hull arrays, since they are more sensitive now.

The single-click install/uninstall option is gone, however you can still load and unload the mod very simply by restoring your stock Database and Doctrine folders (just overright the Database and Doctrine folders you use when the mod is installed). To restore, the Mod, just unzip it again to your DW directory.

People reported install problems using the .bat files and it seems the complexity of the mechanism was preventing some players from using the newest version of the mod.
Old 11-02-05, 05:19 PM   #514
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Those bats were only my temporary solution for easy install/uninstall, I hoped someone could write better ones or write simple installer.
I liked the bats because they worked so simple and here was even no need to remember at which mode game is currently, just click the option you need and you got it, I even wanted to improve them further. Hm but you guys were exiting the game before doing that ??
Well Hanu pointed to an universal mod enabler here and maybe it would be more reliable, I'll check it !

P.S. Looks good, should work Tomorrow I'll try to redo 2.03 for Generic Mod Enabler and we'll try.
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-05, 06:19 PM   #515
Fish
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
The biologics remain at the same sound level, but now they might show up more clearly on the Sphere and Hull arrays, since they are more sensitive now.

The single-click install/uninstall option is gone, however you can still load and unload the mod very simply by restoring your stock Database and Doctrine folders (just overright the Database and Doctrine folders you use when the mod is installed). To restore, the Mod, just unzip it again to your DW directory.

People reported install problems using the .bat files and it seems the complexity of the mechanism was preventing some players from using the newest version of the mod.
The bios show like a candle in the night now. Seems not realistic.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-05, 06:21 PM   #516
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Well, the whales and shrimp are set at 75 PSL, which is about as loud as a Han running fairly fast, only with no NB signature.

We'll probably reduce the PSL for these in the next version.
Old 11-02-05, 07:41 PM   #517
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

The singing whale is a VERY loud event, on good sonars hearable form THOUSANDS miles :-). We have data about how loud a whale sings, it almost could kill a man if it was close to it :-). But of course at first whale sing is probably not a very broadband event (although I feel it would show up on BB), and more importantly - whales don't sing all the time :-P
So the sound of whales should rather reflect their normal activity, which is much quieter I believe :-). Shrimp is quite noisy thing too (I don't remember if we had data on that), even single animal can be heard on sonar quite far, but again maybe not that loud. We'll take a look at this. Submariner's and sonarman's opinion is welcomed how far could a shrimp be heard on sphere (BB) sonar ?
Old 11-02-05, 07:44 PM   #518
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

I guess that depends on "how good it is." :rotfl:
Old 11-02-05, 08:08 PM   #519
sonar732
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amizaur
The singing whale is a VERY loud event, on good sonars hearable form THOUSANDS miles :-). We have data about how loud a whale sings, it almost could kill a man if it was close to it :-). But of course at first whale sing is probably not a very broadband event (although I feel it would show up on BB), and more importantly - whales don't sing all the time :-P
So the sound of whales should rather reflect their normal activity, which is much quieter I believe :-). Shrimp is quite noisy thing too (I don't remember if we had data on that), even single animal can be heard on sonar quite far, but again maybe not that loud. We'll take a look at this. Submariner's and sonarman's opinion is welcomed how far could a shrimp be heard on sphere (BB) sonar ?
The main thing to take into affect is of course the SSP. Give me a few moments to research and jog my memory...

Take into consideration that it would be close to seeing a noisy trawler or supertanker though. With this new computer, I don't have the dB comparisons you provided.

A few equations to work up...

FOMpassive SL + DI - NL - DT

This is just an example since I don't have the dB of biologics. Something else to consider is we don't know the exact species of whale or shrimp as this will tell the dB value produced.

The big point is that the environment pays a major role in the ranges observed. A Victor III in the Norwegian Sea (relatively quiet sea and deep) at 12 knots may be detected at several miles. The same submarine in the Med (relatively shallow and very noisy) may be detected at a 1000 yards. At flank speed (27 knots), the Victor III may be detected at 20 miles direct path, 25-40 miles bottom bounce, and possibly to 3 or more CZ's (convergence zones) at 30-33 miles, 60-66 miles and 90-99 miles in the Norwegian Sea, by ship based sensors and sonobouys, and for literally thousands of miles by SOSUS.

Source Level (SL) expressed in decibels (dB). Sound pressure level of individual noise sources of the target, i.e. propellors, drive shafts, reduction gears, steam turbines, electrical generators, reactor coolant pumps, diesel engines, main propulsion motors, other pumps and motors, speed related components (hull resonance's occurring at different speeds). ASW tacticians and operators will use the most detectable steady state noise sources for a given target as their primary detection, classification, and tracking frequencies.

Ambient Noise (AN) expressed in decibels at a given frequency(dB)(which includes sea state, rain, biologics, distant shipping noise, underwater geologic disturbances, etc.) i.e., anything not target related.

Recognition Differential (RD) expressed in dB. The sensitivity of the equipment and operator proficiency (i.e. ability to detect and classify a target unalerted). Tends to be a subjective number.

Directivity Index (DI) in dB. The improved sensitivity of directional sonar systems, where the receivers can be focused on a given sector.

Propagation Loss (PL) in dB at a given freq.. Sound energy is attenuated by spreading losses, absorption (sound energy converted to heat energy), reflection, refraction, etc. Prop loss varies directly with frequency.

Self Noise (SN) in dB. Primarily flow noise over the sensor array, but can also include system noise, artifacts (caused by electrical interference within the equipment-- a design limitation, also affects RD).

Target Strength (TS) in dB. The "sonar cross section" of a target. Amount of sound energy reflected from a target.

Signal Excess (SE) in dB. How much signal is left after accounting for all the variables mentioned above.

These variables are what make up the passive and active sonar equations. The passive sonar equation is as follows:

SE = SL - PL - AN - RD + DI

Propagation loss is usually calculated and displayed on a graph, to which we apply a Figure Of merit (FOM), calculated from a version of the passive equation:

FOM = SL - AN - RD + DI

Using this graph we can determine the expected detection range for a given frequency, including the usability of various transmission paths... direct path, bottom bounce, convergence zones.
sonar732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-05, 09:25 PM   #520
sonar732
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

Finally...some difinitive numbers.

Blue Whale 190 dB (avg. 145-172) Vocalizations: Low frequency moans Cummings and Thompson, 1971a; Edds, 1982.

Fin Whale 188 dB (avg. 155-186) Vocalizations: Pulses, moans Watkins, 1981b; Cummings et al., 1986; Edds, 1988.

Humpback Whale 180 dB (avg. 175-180) Fluke and flipper slaps Thompson et al., 1986.

Bowhead Whale 180 dB (avg. 152-180) Vocalizations: Songs Cummings and Holiday, 1987.

Right Whale 175 dB (avg. 172-175) Vocalizations: Pulsive signal Cummings et al., 1972; Clark 1983.

Gray Whale 175 dB (avg. 175) Vocalizations: moans Cummings et al., 1968; Fish et al., 1974; Swartz and Cummings, 1978.
sonar732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-05, 10:56 PM   #521
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amizaur
Of course it can be removed easily .

P.S. After little work it can be even made that human player torps would turn always right, and AI torps random But SUBROC torps would be treated as AI drops, I can't discrimine in doctrine if torp was dropped by human or AI SUBROC... so maybe better remove this completly ? Or maybe not, the random circle for SUBROCs makes them less "sniper" weapon after all ?

So what to do ? Remove completly ? Or right circle for human torps, random for AI and SUBROC dropped torps ?
I would defer to the airdales on this one, it makes a much bigger difference to them.

As for ASROC's, the right way to make them less "sniper" is to add some randomness to their accuracy in delivery. They're ballistic missiles after all, and I think the only guidance they have is inertial, or maybe even just timers...
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-05, 11:10 PM   #522
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I just re-noticed that you were able to change the 65-76 to only be allowed to be assigned to targets classified as Surface.

Can you change the Maverick to be allowed to be assigned to a target classed sub? This would allow the quick engagement of surfaced submarines detected visually, which revert back to sub as soon as they are changed to surface. As long as your fix for the homing is working, I don't think this would cause any problems.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-05, 05:26 AM   #523
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Can you change the Maverick to be allowed to be assigned to a target classed sub? This would allow the quick engagement of surfaced submarines detected visually, which revert back to sub as soon as they are changed to surface. As long as your fix for the homing is working, I don't think this would cause any problems.
That would be a great thing. I dont want Uber Missiles, but just the ability to hit everything on the surface (be it surfaced subs or surface vessels) with the Maverick without using workarounds. Which btw. dont come that handy in emergency situations, like when a sub suddenly surfaces 2 nm in front of you.
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-05, 07:29 PM   #524
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

With Maverick doctrine fix (included in 2.03 mod) and Sub type target allowed for Mav (not included in 2.03 yet) this would work exactly this way. You could launch Mavs at sub targets anytime but missiles would guide only against subs on the surface (or at least part of the sail visible, the exact triggering depth could be still tuned).
Old 11-03-05, 07:37 PM   #525
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Well, now that we've got the airdales on board, we should look at the random circle/snake direction as well... perhaps do the even/odd depth--right/left direction torpedo doctrine?