SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-12-20, 05:03 PM   #4636
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Reasonably assessing the situation and weighing the options. Compliments.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/12/h...say/index.html

Wouldn't say the same about this guy, and thus: no compliments.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...masks-n1236502

Last edited by Skybird; 08-12-20 at 05:11 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 05:41 AM   #4637
Skybird
Soaring

Durability of the virus on steel and plastic: 3 days.
On paper and postcard: 16-24 hours.
On copper: 4 hours.

On deep-frozen food: one year and probably longer.

So much for the already known things. Don't believe in the frozen food thing? See here:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/13/a...hnk/index.html

Think of it: virusses usually hate UV exposure, warmth, dryness. Fridges are UV-protected, cold, moist.

The wHO of course already does what it does best and what is the only thing it is usable for: playing it down, as it plays down things always. So does the CDC, and I bet money that the RKI is soon to follow, if being asked about it.

I tick differently: I think freely sold vegetable on open market tables or shelves in the supermarket, are a potential risk if no further treatment by UV-light and so forth is being implemented. Thats why I prefer currently to buy fruits and vegetable in packed format only. Of course fruits and vegetables got touched by people before, but then it is about all those many people not breathing down on the food on the shelves and not touching it once it has been packed into plastric foil packs, during transportation, selling, handling in the supermarket and so forth.

I see no UV-lights on the vegetable deartment of supermarkets. Only the rosy-orange coloured kind of friendly lights that should prevent you from discriminating fresh green from old and already yellow apples.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-13-20 at 05:52 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 06:22 AM   #4638
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

India registers more than 47,000 deaths, overtaking UK to become fourth-worst affected globally for fatalities.

After more than 100 days infection-free, New Zealand city of Auckland, under lockdown, records 14 more cases.

A-level results issued in England, Wales and Northern Ireland under controversial system due to coronavirus measures.

Number of civilians killed in conflict falls during coronavirus, UK charity says.

60% of North Korea's population facing food insecurity, worsened by coronavirus, US says.

Nearly 20.6 million cases and over 749,000 deaths registered globally - latest Johns Hopkins University tally.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 06:35 AM   #4639
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The number of patients admitted for routine treatment in hospitals in England was down 67% in June compared with the same time last year, NHS figures show.

An estimated 3.4 million people - or around 6% of the population - in England had already been infected with Covid-19 by mid-July, a new study suggests. The number is far higher than previous estimates. The number of confirmed cases, according to the Johns Hopkins University running tally, is around 315,000.

A primary school in Aberdeenshire in Scotland has been closed after a case of coronavirus was confirmed within the school team. Aberdeenshire Council said several staff from Peterhead Central Primary School are self-isolating.

NHS Orkney says it is "profoundly concerned" that the virus is spreading "rapidly" across the islands in northeast Scotland, as health leaders say several people had developed symptoms and travelled to homes in the isles and the mainland.

A surge in cases in Spain has prompted the authorities in the north-western Galicia region to ban smoking in public places if social distancing is not possible. Experts say smoking increases the risk of transmission, partly because masks are not worn and smokers project droplets when they exhale.

In Germany, where schools have been reopening in recent weeks, the environment agency has called for classrooms to be ventilated for 45 minutes after every lesson. It added that classrooms, offices and homes should also be ventilated with wide-open windows after every cough or sneeze.

A nurse in France was assaulted on a bus after she asked a group of teenagers to wear masks, police say. The attack happened in Paris and two people have been arrested.

Greece has reported its first case of Covid-19 in one of its overcrowded island asylum seeker camps, officials say. A 35-year-old man from Yemen in the Vial camp on the island of Chios has tested positive, a migration ministry official told the AFP news agency. "The man has been quarantined at the local hospital. Another 30 people are undergoing tests," the official said. More than 3,800 people are packed into the Vial camp, over three times its capacity.

Elsewhere, Ukraine has recorded a record daily jump of 1,592 cases. Infections have increased rapidly in recent months as lockdown measures have been eased.

The Australian state of Victoria has recorded 278 new coronavirus cases, its lowest daily increase in more than three weeks. The state has also recorded eight more deaths, lower than the 21 seen on Wednesday, Australia’s deadliest day of the pandemic yet.

New Zealand’s coronavirus outbreak will “get worse before it gets better”, the country’s prime minister has said, after 14 new infections were confirmed. Jacinda Ardern ordered the country’s biggest city, Auckland, back into lockdown after four new cases, all family members, were found earlier this week.

Indian cabinet minister Shripad Naik has tested positive for the coronavirus, he has announced on Twitter. Naik, whose briefs include defence, said his vital signs were normal, adding he would isolate himself at home.

A close adviser to Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro has said he has been diagnosed with coronavirus. Jorge Rodríguez, Venezuela’s communications minister, said he felt well despite testing positive for the virus and would go into quarantine.

The authorities in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen say that a surface sample taken from some frozen chicken wings imported from Brazil has tested positive for coronavirus.

Old 08-13-20, 07:45 PM   #4640
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Hello all

This is a little weird considering how late of a response this is.

I am writing this from the grave, don't ask how!

Turns out he just had a REALLY bad case of Pneumonia. He has a weird respiatory thing ( I don't know what to call it, a illness or a disease?) where he has allergies year round and he is very succeptible to Pneumonia.

And thanks for the support.

Sorry for the late response, my computer randomly shutt off last night and it only turned on about now. I was in the middle of writing this response when it shut off

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 08:36 PM   #4641
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Not nice what he has gone through but glad it wasn't Covid-19, a big relief for your family.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-20, 05:44 AM   #4642
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
Hello all

This is a little weird considering how late of a response this is.

I am writing this from the grave, don't ask how!

Turns out he just had a REALLY bad case of Pneumonia. He has a weird respiatory thing ( I don't know what to call it, a illness or a disease?) where he has allergies year round and he is very succeptible to Pneumonia.

And thanks for the support.

Sorry for the late response, my computer randomly shutt off last night and it only turned on about now. I was in the middle of writing this response when it shut off
Great to know but can you pick my lottery numbers for tomorrow nights draw

Old 08-14-20, 05:47 AM   #4643
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 08-14-20, 05:48 AM   #4644
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 08-14-20, 05:49 AM   #4645
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 08-14-20, 06:07 AM   #4646
Skybird
Soaring

A German study in a prominent German hotspot - Kupferzell, population 6000, infection rate 6-8% - finds that 30% of those who got infected have no signs of existing antibodies.

Of those who were confirmed to be infected, almost 17% had no symptoms. 83% had symptoms of varying severity, from "home-isolated but mildly to moderately painful", to "hospitalization necessary".
Old 08-14-20, 09:19 AM   #4647
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

People coming to the UK from France and the Netherlands must quarantine for 14 days from Saturday.

Travellers are rushing to get back to the UK before the measure comes into force at 04:00 BST

The UK quarantine measure also applies to people travelling from Monaco, Malta, Turks and Caicos, and Aruba.

France says the UK decision will lead to "reciprocal measures"

New Zealand extends lockdown of its largest city Auckland by at least 12 days amid new cases.

North Korea lifts a lockdown on a border city after what it said was an outbreak caused by a returning defector.

Old 08-14-20, 09:35 AM   #4648
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The UK's estimated R number is unchanged at 0.8 to 1.0, according to the government.

Revellers in Scotland should limit the number of individual venues they visit after an outbreak of coronavirus was linked to city centre bars, Nicola Sturgeon has warned.

The Spanish government has announced it is closing bars and nightclubs and banning smoking in the street without a two-metre distance, as cases continue to rise in the country. Restaurants will have to close by 01:00 (23:00 GMT) and will have to stop admitting customers at midnight.

The European Commission has agreed to buy up to 400 million doses of a future vaccine from British pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca. In a statement, the commission said it would purchase 300 million doses, with an option to secure 100 million more, on behalf of the union's 27 member states.

Anthony Fauci, the doctor leading America's coronavirus response, says that temperature checks are not reliable for screening for the virus.

One of Peru’s regional governors has suggested that citizens eat llama and alpaca meat to fight the Covid-19 virus.

Up to 100 people are to be tested for coronavirus each week in The Gambia's capital city, Banjul. Mayor Rohey Lowe said the tests will be free of charge in the city that has a population of more than 400,000 people.

Old 08-14-20, 10:33 AM   #4649
Skybird
Soaring

Germany has now declared all Spain including Mallorca as risk areas. Now. Almost at the end of German holidays season.

That makes so much sense. First let them travel and get sick and give them opportunity to spread it as much as possible - and then issue a warning.

The regional authorities over here also issued very sensible advice. They said "people should stay alert and attentive. "

Aaaah-ha.

Thank you for your helpfulness. Very much appreciated to get such useful information.

It helps so much.

Really.
Old 08-14-20, 11:24 AM   #4650
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Looks like it will be mandatory to wear mask in public transportation here in Denmark.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan