SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-16-10, 02:06 PM   #451
Skunkito
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Got it working. Steam's a pain but as I posted elsewhere:

thing is that it installs it away from the location the GWX installer is loooking for, when I pointed it to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\silent hunter 3

It worked fine.

I'm using windows 7 though so yours may be slightly different

if so do a search for SH3.exe and then copy the path...

Good luck.
Skunkito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 07:35 AM   #452
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

With Steam you'll be patched ok, and I forgot it installs differently. Glad you've found it.

JSGME comes with GWX, but you should update it to latest version.

Another mod I'd recommend is Sailor Steve's Ships' Names, goes straight in to Commanders files not SH3/MODS folder. After you've finished a patrol open up Commander and select your kaluen, and then select other actions and patrol report, you'll get a better report including any vessels names and crew/pax/survivors(or not).

To be honest, there are so many other worthy mods out there but the ones I've mentioned I think are guaranteed to be in everybodys lists!
Old 08-17-10, 07:45 AM   #453
Skunkito
Swabbie

Thanks again. I only got a quick look at it last night after getting it working and it already looks like a different game, the activity in the port was amazing and it just "feels" better all round.

Surprised Ubisoft hasn't poached some of the talent!

Gto me thinking as to where you could go with Submarine sims. I guess for me I'd love there to be a lot more crew interaction over the course of voayge, something almost like Mass Effect where the characters develop and the story combines with the action. I suspect this would offend the purists but would make for a more immersive experience I think.

One last question though - do you ever get sent on actual "missions" I mean with specific goals like "sink HMS xxxxx at dock" or similar?

I'm still only getting "go hang around grid XXXX for a while" assignments.
Old 08-17-10, 07:52 AM   #454
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkito View Post
One last question though - do you ever get sent on actual "missions" I mean with specific goals like "sink HMS xxxxx at dock" or similar?
I don't think you get those in career mode. But you can choose from a wide variety of specific missions in single mission mode.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 07:52 AM   #455
MILLANDSON
Helmsman

Downloads: 37

Nope, you're only ever given orders to go to certain grids (unless you use SH3Gen as well, though I've never had that send me after a specific target ship either).
MILLANDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 07:57 AM   #456
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkito View Post
Thanks again. I only got a quick look at it last night after getting it working and it already looks like a different game, the activity in the port was amazing and it just "feels" better all round.

Surprised Ubisoft hasn't poached some of the talent!

Gto me thinking as to where you could go with Submarine sims. I guess for me I'd love there to be a lot more crew interaction over the course of voayge, something almost like Mass Effect where the characters develop and the story combines with the action. I suspect this would offend the purists but would make for a more immersive experience I think.

I'm still only getting "go hang around grid XXXX for a while" assignments.
Ubisoft can't afford the talent that's on this site! I always find it amazing what people altruistically do for gaming communities, some of the modders don't even play the game! Maybe that's why the makers only do half the job (Ubisoft Romania - it was a very good half and not your fault things get rushed to be published!).

I don't think you get actual missions, unless you select single missions at the start. GWX includes a shed-load more, obviously, and they are recreations of real life situations (I think). Oh, and if you find yourself in certain areas at certain times then again real life situations occur.
Old 08-17-10, 08:05 AM   #457
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Oh, and if you find yourself in certain areas at certain times then again real life situations occur.
True, and sometimes you get "immersion" radio messages that you can choose to follow if they happen to apply to you at that moment.

I did this when operations in Norway were getting underway. I was still outward bound through the North Sea on my way to an Atlantic patrol grid when I started getting messages about British task forces heading for Norway, and then messages about boats in the North Sea protecting Narvik or certain boats heading for Trondheim, stuff like that. I could've ignored them and gone on to my patrol grid, but I followed them instead.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 03:09 AM   #458
Skunkito
Swabbie

Damn, the GWX mod steps up the difficulty a tad....

So for the first time I start seeing convoys, superb I think, a lot more fun than lurking around the mouth of the english channel picking off lone C3's with little or no stress.

So up to this point I've had one Destroyer duel. I used my external camera and the orange indicator for my boat to slowly move away from him at depth until he lost me. Easy I thought.

so back to the convoy, seems like a lot of contacts 12 or more at least, excellent I think, lets try and get up along side them quickly and then get a periscope look at them, Hmmm but what are those two contacts doing that seem to be coming straight at me? ******* is that 2 destroyers??? How the hell have they spotted me in the dark so quickly.

DIVE....!!

I then spent an hour real time trying to get away from these buggers, but they just bracketed me and took turns with slow depth charge runs, I just couldn't get away. The external view isn't much use as you can't really tell where you are relative to the boats.

Anyway I've saved it and I'm going to continue tonight, is there anyway out of this? Or am I shafted.
Old 08-18-10, 04:45 AM   #459
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

If you haven't taken any damage, depth is your friend. Go slow 2kts, and go deep.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 09:50 PM   #460
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default not sure where to start

the community manual link is down. I want to begin figuring out SH3. How important is the manual? Can I download it it elsewhere? I need to know where to start.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 09:28 PM   #461
Cambaz
Gunner

Downloads: 300
Default Help Please

So this time I need a different type of help I just build up a new nice system with a ATI HD 4850 gp with a Samsung P2250 21.5" LCD monitor but the resolution and graphics are awful for example:

is anybody have any idea whats happening ? graphics are shouldn't be like that...
Old 09-22-10, 08:50 PM   #462
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
the community manual link is down. I want to begin figuring out SH3. How important is the manual? Can I download it it elsewhere? I need to know where to start.
Try getting GWX first man. It makes a world of difference in playability of the game, and Id start at the first post of this newbie guide. Check out the Hunt, (If you are a noob to sub sims) and every other guide which you can understand if youre still confused, post and ask away and we will all help ya. But if your experienced with subsims just not SHIII, definately get GWX 3.0 and SH3 Commander, and just check the guides. Its not too hard to figure out I went from knowing nothing a few weeks ago to knowing alot of basic information, enough to survive my career so far with 34k Grt sunk Thats only in 2 patrols but its early war so Im luck for now
Old 09-22-10, 10:29 PM   #463
JokerOfFate
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 7

Cambaz I think it maybe
1) Your system is too good.
2) Your graphics card is not supporuted by the game

I'd play about with the settings if I were you
JokerOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 04:35 AM   #464
captaindnnis
Sailor man

Downloads: 31

Ahoy, Skipper's
Well i got an problem
I still have problems to attack convoy's i dont know what position i need to take or how to follow them and when im attacking them most of the time i get Depth Charge'd :P so
is there an Tut or a Vid that show how you sould do it or can anybody explaining me
btw, i searche'd whole yt for a vid of it the only show something with the bearing:O

Well Cheers..
captaindnnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 06:26 AM   #465
JokerOfFate
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 7

Best thing to do is go out and try and try again, thats the best way to learn with this game, I think anyway.

Try using Fats on convoys I've got tonnes of tactics, but again it's best working tactics out for yourself due to them fitting your playstyle
JokerOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote