Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-06-07, 07:53 PM   #421
Gildor
Lieutenant

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Cool.

I have the same birthdate as Sailor Steve. April 8th. However in 1963.

And like Sailor Steve, I'm a former sailor, served in the Canadian Navy from 1980-2005. I am also a "combat vet" having served aboard HMCS Terra Nova" during the first Gulf war 1991. I dont like the term combat vet because it sounds like I went trough the same thing as my grandfather in WW2.

I was born in Thunder Bay Ontario and now live in Toronto. Retired right now and living off my pension. It's kind of hard to do in a high cost city so I will either have to move or get a job soon. I think I will do both.

I was divorced in 1994 after being married for 2 years. No kids, but I do have two cats.

Right now I have no idea what I am going to do after spending all those years in the military. I miss it I guess.
Old 03-06-07, 09:33 PM   #422
fatty
The Old Man

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildor
Cool.

I have the same birthdate as Sailor Steve. April 8th. However in 1963.

And like Sailor Steve, I'm a former sailor, served in the Canadian Navy from 1980-2005. I am also a "combat vet" having served aboard HMCS Terra Nova" during the first Gulf war 1991. I dont like the term combat vet because it sounds like I went trough the same thing as my grandfather in WW2.

I was born in Thunder Bay Ontario and now live in Toronto. Retired right now and living off my pension. It's kind of hard to do in a high cost city so I will either have to move or get a job soon. I think I will do both.

I was divorced in 1994 after being married for 2 years. No kids, but I do have two cats.

Right now I have no idea what I am going to do after spending all those years in the military. I miss it I guess.
Cheers Gildor, I see DDE 259 each morning on the ride in to school.
fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 09:44 PM   #423
Gildor
Lieutenant

Last I heard she was in Halifax in mothball.

I think she should be made into a floating museum, like the Sackville. As far as i know the Terra Nova is the last of her kind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMCS_Terra_Nova

Still, thanks for the info
Old 03-06-07, 09:52 PM   #424
fatty
The Old Man

Downloads: 10

Not sure if you know Halifax geography at all, but I believe she is parked on the Dartmouth side, right beside the Oberons.

google maps
fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 06:25 AM   #425
Koranis
Helmsman

Downloads: 84

Name: Chris
Profession: Pffff...Ahmmmm...

I won't give other details in case you figure out my occupation And no, don't count on the IP, it would be to easy for you, and very stupid of me.

But hey, you can't stay like this all the time, right?

So, it's a little "just for show" thing I have no real purpose to do.

I play SH3. Or at least I'm trying, while staying low (it happens).

I have some GFs. No real thing with any of them, I'm not made for that, or maybe the life I've chosen didn't me make for that. So maybe it's my fault. Anyway, it's a lot of sport, let me tell you. Again my fault maybe, but hey, it comes so easy to me.

What else can I say? My dreams? Retire in style.

Canada, maybe. Or Sweden. Or Antarctica (if I'm forced to)

That's all....

Have a nice day.
Koranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 07:04 AM   #426
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Profile updated

My picture (Again)

Name: Mr X

History: Born & raised and still reside in England, so no change there.

Family: None have you seen the cost of living in the UK & all that TAX & more TAX

Real Occupation: Clear off I'm not telling you.

Interests: WW2/All the Silent Hunter Games/Politics/All the Alien Films/
Sci-Fi /Sherlock Holmes/Reading Books/Chess/SubSims (Nice selection there, a man with good taste)

Hobbies: Bitching on and complaining

Ambitions: I always wanted to break wind in front of the Queen, and still do.

Purpose of this Post: Too kill some free time and receive strange comments from you lot and have a good laugh

Facts: The Answer to Life the Universe and everything is 42 and the 2007 Subsim Almanac is a really good read.

What is the point of life: To drink a nice cold pint of Guinness

One daft thing I did this week: Typing out this post

No.1 Pet hate: TV adverts really get my bloody boiling

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 03:42 AM   #427
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

I'm just a freak of nature.
Old 03-12-07, 10:31 AM   #428
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

WOOF,WOOF.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 11:43 AM   #429
ASWnut101
Admiral

Downloads: 9

Whoa! Did you cut off your dog's head?

ASWnut101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 09:45 PM   #430
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

I suppose with 700 some odd posts I should probably put myself down here now...

Name: Alex
Family history: Sicillian on my father's side. My mother is English and just recently became a citizen, been to Britain several times and think it's a great country.
History: Born and raised in Southern CA
Family: Too young for that, IMO. Girlfriend for a few years now, though.
Occupation: Deliver pizzas for beer money now, hope to end up as a commercial pilot.
Interests: Anything that moves and shoots, politics (PoliSci major), aviation, all kinds of history especially: (Medieval, the American Revolution, WWII, Cold War, early 20th century naval conflicts). Love rock music, jazz, and electric blues.
Hobbies: Running, sailing, war gaming, flight simming, beer and single malt scotch, food.
One stupid thing I did this week: Got a circa $350 ticket last night because of a camera on an intersection that I turn at almost everyday of my life.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 09:49 PM   #431
melendir
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 82

Name: Jyrki

Home: I live in Oulu, Finland (it's about half kilometer to Gulf of Bothnia from my keyboard).
My roots are from Belgium to Holland to Finland. Other members of my ancestors are displaced mostly to scandinavia, but there are some at England, USA and Brazil too.

Occupations: Information Technology Consultant, musician.
I've been playing guitar since I was 6 years old. I've been in few bands and we had few gigs in the Russia in early 90's but otherwise we played in Finland.
I've also had other jobs earlier, strangest was being a traffic guide to children's car park.

Hobbies and interests:
I'm a fan of submarines (specially WWII), aircrafts (specially prop planes and with piston engine... for some reason I don't like turboprops...?). I would love to be a bush pilot at Canada or Alaska... of course it's easy to have no problems and cons when you dream of it...

I'm also fan of martial arts and I have been training wrestling, judo, aikido and jujutsu... then I became a jujutsu teacher for some years until I broke my left shoulder.

The list goes on: Heavy metal, blues, some ethereal ambient music (I don't know how to describe that last one... but if you have heard Canadian group called Delerium, then you know... specially songs: After All, Fallen).

Motorbikes are part of my life. Currently I have VS800 Intruder GL (Custom). I'm desperately waiting for driving season here in Finland... it's almost here.... maybe 3 to 4 weeks...
I seem to change from custom bikes to racing bikes and back to custom bikes. I like the speed and insane acceleration but I also like a relaxed cruising with really cool sound

I'm also a fan of racing cars. I started sim driving with F1 Grand Prix by Microprose. I used to drive in Finnish Nascar league with Papyrys's Nascar sims and my ego with racing on tarmac is just something unbelievable...I'm definately sure that nobody on earth is able to beat me... if I lose some race... I can find some other reason than me...

I'm also fan of Star Wars, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, action movies generally, adventure movies generally and now comes the odd part... romantic comedies, which doesn't exactly line up with my face and my other interests

I like reading. I like Tom Clancy, David Morrell, Nicholas Sparks, Stephen King, Dean R Koontz, R.A. Salvatore, and so on...

Dislikes: Racism, animal abuse, I don't like that there's only 24 hours a day (It's way too little time to do all the things...)

How did you learn about Subsim?
Propably via google (propably searching for some info about Silent Hunter or Aces Of The Deep, or some other...)

When did you first visit?
Not really sure. I've played submarine sims for years, so I can't really point the exact year. I mean the first was Silent Service with C-64 or Amiga... maybe not a sim, but it was a start

What was your name or Subsim nickname then? Same as now or something else?
I didn't join the forum until 2005, I only visited the various submarine related sites for info earlier.

And now for the pics...

Don't laugh the older one, I just had to post it too... my friends goes laughing insanely every time they see it
The older one is from 1992 (with the 1990's style ) and the newer with the less hair is from 2004.

http://www.imagewoof.com/view_image/...228/JB1992.jpg
http://www.imagewoof.com/view_image/...224/JB2004.jpg

Last edited by melendir; 03-14-07 at 10:37 PM.
melendir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 06:02 PM   #432
Kingcobra24
Soundman

Kingcobra24 is a variation of my Air Force callsign. I was an attack helo driver - callsign Cobra-Two-Four.

Age...soon to be 58

Born and raised in Maine with a 4 year stint with Uncle Sam that took me from Texas to California, Illinois, Thailand, Japan, Australia, Vietnam, Laos and Florida. Also a 10 year residency in Florida. I still fly whenever I can, having an ATP (Air Transport Pilot) ticket.

Career choice - Mechanical Engineer. Currently waiting to see about getting Social Security with Disability. Besides having a very bad back, I also have an aneurysm of the aorta which carries a number of complications that have, to date, scared off 7 surgeons at three hospitals. (I've never been one to do anything the easy way...:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl

My father died of a stroke in 2003 and my mother, currently 85 years young, was operated on successfully for colon cancer in September, and has now been diagnosed with cancer of the lymph nodes.

Twice divorced...two daughters, both college graduates...both married...both made me a grandfather twice, each giving birth to two girls each at three years apart.

Hobbies are flying, scuba diving, Shotokan karate, bowling, horseback riding and reading...most of these have been cut back extensively or dropped altogether due to health reasons.

I guess that should be more than adequate. :hmm:
Old 04-22-07, 06:08 PM   #433
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

A coupla more silly pictures from me...

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 06:14 PM   #434
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Downloads: 6

I have a very long paper to do.......so I'm playing with my camera and MS Paint

Old 04-22-07, 06:15 PM   #435
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

What coincidence. I'm supposed to be working on my last paper now too

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote