SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-16-05, 03:03 PM   #421
Tgio
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
That gives me an idea Bill.

Or, maybe we could get the missile to sound like a member of the crew saying "Missile Launch Transient Detected".
If you can do that, SCS has to assume you
Tgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 07:32 PM   #422
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Well, correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that the ping sound is just sound played when enemy ping hits the boat, so if we changed it, then EVERY ping would sound like missile launch :-).

(Edit: after looking into sfx.agg I see that not every ping - just every torpedo ping
IF we could add custom ping sound to active sonar, the we could make it missile launch, but there is no such thing in database... most probably every active mounted on a torpedo calls for torpedo ping sound.
If so :hmm: what sound would be called for active sonar mounted on a missile ? maybe nothing, or game crash ? so better first we check if it is possible at all, later we could discuss how should it look (sound) like )

And if we assigned a crew comunicate as missile sound, then I guess the missile would say it over and over in flight, instead of normal flying missile sound :-). It would be audible in 3D view, but not on other sub.
The thing we didn't make, was to assign BB sound file to a SUBROC missiles, this is the sound heard in BB sonar station on bearing of the contact. If we assigned a sound of a distant underwater missile launch to it (or rather missile motor working underwater) then there should be no more problems with discriminating it from any other target, you would just hear the missile at the bearing. Best would be sound already present in game, this would require only database change. If we don't find it (because it has to be underwater missile sound) then we would have to add it to sfx.agg which means more complicated install and changes outside database folder... but we probably have to do it anyway to update USNI reference database.

P.S. I though for a moment that we can use BB_shkval sound, shkval underwater, but it's wery poor choise... it sounds like a missile combined with a torpedo, so you hear missile with rotating propellers
But we could use it and add a stand-alone second little mod with better skhval sound, which can be used both with stock game and modded.
We can try also just missile launch sound, who knows maybe it would work ok... edit: probably wouldn't, seems I can't use fx_xxx sound as bb_xxx sound...

Best would be combined sound, beginning from torp launch with missile launch later, processed to sound like underwater. Then if you listened on the bearing and the distance wasn't long, you could actually hear whole missile launching sequence. I wish Finiteless was around... wonder what happened with him ? :hmm:
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 08:46 PM   #423
Deathblow
Captain

Bah, been testing the first method I proposed and I can't get it to work. Adding the new sensor to a platform isn't having any effect, just ignores the sensor as if it wasn't there....

perhaps a 3 passive sensor limit is on platforms? more testing needed...
Deathblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 09:06 PM   #424
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Well, you want the autocrew to mann it, maybe autocrew is programmed to use only 3 original sensors on playable platform...
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 03:33 PM   #425
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Ok, so what are we looking at for 2.02?

Changes and Additions

-Add updated Missile.txt and SubAvoidWeap doctrines to distribution

-Increase Torpedo Passive SL and alter sound vs speed thrust values

-Add LWAMI section to USNI (pending Jamie's clearance on copywrite)

-I would like to review the sonar sensor assignments to individual platforms

-Create the unit information tables (if I have the time... )

-Work on trying to automate Missile Transient Warnings.

Anything else? :hmm:
Old 10-18-05, 04:01 PM   #426
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
Ok, so what are we looking at for 2.02?

Changes and Additions

-Add updated Missile.txt and SubAvoidWeap doctrines to distribution

-Increase Torpedo Passive SL and alter sound vs speed thrust values

-Add LWAMI section to USNI (pending Jamie's clearance on copywrite)

-I would like to review the sonar sensor assignments to individual platforms

-Create the unit information tables (if I have the time... )

-Work on trying to automate Missile Transient Warnings.

Anything else? :hmm:
Fix the loadout on the MH-60 to include torpedoes when on strike (Hellfire) configuration (ASTAC).

Make the Akula I-Improved a bit quieter than the 688I to better reflect best real-world estimates.

Try to identify and edit the doctrine files that are causing AI subs to sprint and reveal their locations.

Increase the warhead of the A244 Torpedo to be more proportional to the Mk 46 (the A244 has a slightly smaller warhead, but only inflicts ~30% damage to a 688I).

Decrease detectability of slower missiles to simulate reduced doppler effect to separate the missle from wave clutter and/or use of radar absorbent materials.

Just a wish list, really.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 04:17 PM   #427
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Molon, thank you!

Quote:
Fix the loadout on the MH-60 to include torpedoes when on strike (Hellfire) configuration (ASTAC).
Unfortunately, this is hardcoded in the interface and we can't do anything about it. I really really would if I could, that's something that bugs me too, a lot.

Quote:
Make the Akula I-Improved a bit quieter than the 688I to better reflect best real-world estimates.
I think you and Amizaur are going to have to joust over this one. His data puts the Akula I Imp as being noisier than the 688i in design, and given the maintance and engineering quality difference, it's a harder case to make. I'm sure he'll comment on this one. Sorry...

Quote:
Try to identify and edit the doctrine files that are causing AI subs to sprint and reveal their locations.
This is a big issue. The problems probably won't be hard to find, but the fixes are most likely a going to be bear. Top on our list, you can be assured. :|\

Quote:
Increase the warhead of the A244 Torpedo to be more proportional to the Mk 46 (the A244 has a slightly smaller warhead, but only inflicts ~30% damage to a 688I).
Amizaur reduced the warheads of some torpedos to be very light weight, either to simulate very light torpedos or torpedos known to proximity fuse and thus not directly contact hulls, causing much less damage than normal for a warhead of the same weight. I don't have direct information on this. We'll look at it.

Quote:
Decrease detectability of slower missiles to simulate reduced doppler effect to separate the missle from wave clutter and/or use of radar absorbent materials.
This one's easy. We'll look at it.

Thanks again Molon, you're a champion!
Old 10-18-05, 05:49 PM   #428
stormrider_sp
Planesman

Downloads: 51

Looking for new platforms, even if they´re not playable.
stormrider_sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 06:16 PM   #429
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Adding new platforms to the database is fairly straighforward. However, doing it correctly means adding new 3-d models as well, which requires a modeller and painter and we currently don't have them "on staff."

What we are currently working on falls more into the catagory of "gameplay mod: realism," so we are currently focusing our efforts on tuning the gameplay to work as well as possible.

Periscope Depth has been working on adding additional Navies and platforms into the database, which we will probably include in a subsequent release, but at this time, it remains on another level than we are currently working.

Also, we can add the platforms to the database, but mission designers would STILL have to decide to include them in their missions, and this would make those mission incompatble with the standard database.

Thanks for your suggestion!

PS When/if DWX comes out, there will be a whole bunch of new platforms added to the game, as they have the advantage of using their 3-d models from SCX, which represents a considerable body of work.
Old 10-18-05, 07:19 PM   #430
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Well if you can get someone to convert it to the proper format for DW you can use any of my models. Only the GUPPY II would really fit in to the DW time frame. But I do have a Zulu IV class sub in the works.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 08:06 PM   #431
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Thanks TLAM!

When we look at expansions, we'll be sure to contact you about those models.
Old 10-19-05, 01:21 AM   #432
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Is there a way you can look at link behavior? Some platforms seem to provide link data better than others. If you could get an E-2 to provide link data (I'm not sure it does at all right now), this might allow DDG/CG's to engage at ranges greater than 10nm.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-05, 02:02 AM   #433
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

I just did a quick test scenario.

I had an E-2 circling around an Vishnaya with a Tico VLS and playable FFG about 50nm away, both in EMCON. The E-2 does promote the Vishnaya to the link and the Tico in fact will engage the Vishnaya with Harpoons.

I also had a Akula playable in the same scenario near the E-2. I played the scenario from the Akula side and fired a volley of missiles at the two warships. The E-2 detected the missile launches and promoted the missiles to the link, because even in EMCON, the CG started evasive manovering immediately after the launch of the missiles. However, the CG still did not engage the vampires with its SAMs until they had gotten within 10nm.

This remains a mystery. It must be somewhere in the doctrines, rather than the link behavior, or so my logic tells me, which I guess is good news, because it can be changed by modifing the doctrines, and doesn't require a change of the gamecode. But then again, I have my suspicions that AEGIS ships are hardcoded to hold fire on vampires until 10nm. I dunno... I'll look at some doctrine stuff.
Old 10-19-05, 02:36 AM   #434
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

AEGIS-Fixed (Beta)

If you remove the fire control radar flag on the AEGIS launchers, they will launched on linked missile contacts at max range.

CAN I GET HEYAA!

This will be in the next version of our Mod.
Old 10-19-05, 03:26 AM   #435
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Ok, so the AEGIS fix consists of:

-Take the FCR Flag off of the SAM launchers on ships we want to enable link-missile firing, primarily AEGIS ships.

-Increase all of the engagement ranges on the CIWSAttack doctrine

-Change the cone of the E-2 Hawkeye radar so it scans the entire sky

Simple, eh?