SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-08, 05:25 PM   #406
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerthighs
Howdy Ducmius, Is there an easy way to modify my TMO install to add the PPF grainy effect back into the game?

Thanks in advance.
I dont remember offhand. I'm pretty sure its one of the shader files, i just dont remember which one. Ill try and remember to check this when i get home from work if someone doesnt answer the question before then.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 05:32 PM   #407
LtCmdrRat
Gunner

Downloads: 110
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman
decoys are for chickens !!!

go deep man !
I dont need it I have fun with pure art of Ducimus TMO, but my nephew does, he is teenager(14-15) and decoys launching sound for him is just like Mozart's requem for me( thanks to Red october movie). I did it for him ( i found this file ) but i had a lot of whisky in my bulk tanks and I forgot the name of the file. Then i messed up with his mod he wanted to (de)activate....so SOS!
But nephew is progressing fast. Our last lesson was How to solve torpedo attack triangle (TTA -russian terminology).

Last edited by LtCmdrRat; 05-06-08 at 06:00 PM.
LtCmdrRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 05:35 PM   #408
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

/data/UPCData/UPCUnitsData/Upgradepacks.upc
Old 05-06-08, 05:57 PM   #409
LtCmdrRat
Gunner

Downloads: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus
/data/UPCData/UPCUnitsData/Upgradepacks.upc
Ducimus, thanks. I checked this file again. Found it.(!!) I just missed "decoys" section before because of mixing Hennesy and Johny Walker... ( I m not an alcogolic it was just coincedent - "force major ") Thanks again for hint and your brilliant work and dedication.

LtCmdrRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 09:22 AM   #410
Q3ark
Watch Officer

Downloads: 47

This looks cool Duci . The conning tower really looks like the busy place it was when at battle stations .

We can now upgrade the sonars now d/loading now, thanks man!!
was H2SO4.
Q3ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 12:58 PM   #411
JoeCorrado
Weps

Downloads: 176
Uploads: 5

Duci, something that I don't really understand is why the periscopes are all smudged up with fingerprints and stuff all over them. Sometimes making a change can result in less realism, not more. That night scope is worth a court martial!

I expect that if a commander were to look through his scope and see such garbage all over one of the most important instruments on his boat that he would be after somebody with a snarl on his face and no excuses accepted. Looks like somebody climbed the mast to smudge the things intentionally and left fingerprints behind as evidence. Is this sabotage, or what?

Captain to crew; our scopes are mission critical- in essence they are our eyes and they go a long way to making our entire mission a success, or a failure. Those scopes can often be the difference between a safe return home, or spending eternity in the icy depths. Now, somebody get your tail up there and clean those frigging lenses right now, or I'll know the reason why!

Those scopes, left in that condition seems almost Anti-realism. Below is the view from the periscope of USS Bowfin.

My Game starts with GFO - Keepin' it real as it needs to be!

Last edited by JoeCorrado; 05-08-08 at 01:48 PM.
JoeCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 01:04 PM   #412
abclkhan
Loader

Downloads: 169

Ahoy

Is it possible to have TMO without graphic improvements, with only gameplay improvements? My PC runs SH4 well enough for me to play, but after installing TMO FPS drop down to unplayable.
abclkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 02:23 PM   #413
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

JoeCorrado

If you were trying to get my attention, you did it in the wrong way. Is it really neccessary to write 2 or 3 paragraphs to say, "I dont like the periscope texture?".

I am the only person who works on TM, so i have to proritize what i spend my time on. Right now, i got bigger fish to fry:

And im just getting started.

Now considering that a large number of users load umpteen mods ranging from eyecandy, to things already included in TM, over TM itself, and break 5 or 6 items that ive spent many hours to get to work correctly in the process; something that i classify as eyecandy (textures), is at the very bottom of my priority list. Whats more, realism, and anti realism lectures and accusations only furrow my brow.
Old 05-08-08, 02:36 PM   #414
ustahl
Watch Officer

Downloads: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCorrado
Duci, something that I don't really understand is why the periscopes are all smudged up with fingerprints and stuff all over them.
Joe, you can add another periscope mod on top of TMO if you don't like TMO's scopes and want clearer ones. There are several scope mods around.

Take a look at Werner Sobe's Optics2 for 1.5 for example: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...hlight=optics2

They look nice, but then again, in RL combat service, I guess, the scopes were not necessarily that "polished".
Old 05-08-08, 06:50 PM   #415
JoeCorrado
Weps

Quote:
JoeCorrado

If you were trying to get my attention, you did it in the wrong way. Is it really neccessary to write 2 or 3 paragraphs to say, "I dont like the periscope texture?".

I am the only person who works on TM, so i have to proritize what i spend my time on. Right now, i got bigger fish to fry:

And im just getting started.

Now considering that a large number of users load umpteen mods ranging from eyecandy, to things already included in TM, over TM itself, and break 5 or 6 items that ive spent many hours to get to work correctly in the process; something that i classify as eyecandy (textures), is at the very bottom of my priority list. Whats more, realism, and anti realism lectures and accusations only furrow my brow.
Well, I was trying to get your attention, that is why I addressed the post to you. But I was most certainly NOT trying to lecture you, or make any sort of accusation. I only stated that I did not understand the choice you had made in the night scope. I apologize if my post came across in the manner you describe.

Changing out the scope is no big deal and is easy enough. I simply wondered at the why of it since realism seems quite a priority in TM. No offense was intended.

Thank you for your many efforts, tireless research and the countless hours that you have spent in planning and creating one of the best mods available.

Old 05-08-08, 09:11 PM   #416
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

>>I simply wondered at the why of it since realism seems quite a priority in TM.

It is... and then it isn't.

Realism, in my opinion, is subjective. So i try to stay away from realism arguments, and i really dislike getting into them. Iit's also why i've stated that TM is a 75% realism, and a 25% gamey mix. By stating that, i'm allowing myself some creative license. If my stated goal was 100%, every rivet in its place realism, i would have all sorts of people picking me apart citing how this is inaccurate, or that is in accurate, and how dare i screw this up, or omit this other item, etc etc.

But again, realism, is subjective, it all depends on who you ask. Often enough i try to shape realistic behavior on the part of the player, through abstract means. Some items in and of themselves are not realistic, but its effect on the players behavior can be. Aircraft and AI being some good examples.

The textures that some folks seem to hate, is acutally another abstraction. Fleet boats had a Attack periscope and a night periscope. It wasnt an observation periscope. NO such thing. The main difference between the two was the size of the apature and how much light it received. I chose the textures i did with the general premise of encourging the player to use the attack persicope during the day, and the night periscope at night. use the attack perscope during night, you can't see schiit. Use the night periscope during the day, (aside from having a shorter range), it just doesnt look as good because the lense is dirty, however at night you can barely tell, and you can see a heck of a lot better with it at night then the attack periscope.

When i implement or include things in TM, i often have very subtle reasons that aren't apparent at first.
Old 05-09-08, 01:44 AM   #417
hoibazupfa
Watch

Downloads: 47

The button to start the position keeper on the lower right of the PK is inscripted with GSP ... what does this stand for?

Thanks!
Hoiba
hoibazupfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 08:42 PM   #418
JoeCorrado
Weps

Quote:
>>I simply wondered at the why of it since realism seems quite a priority in TM.

It is... and then it isn't.

Realism, in my opinion, is subjective. So i try to stay away from realism arguments, and i really dislike getting into them. Iit's also why i've stated that TM is a 75% realism, and a 25% gamey mix. By stating that, i'm allowing myself some creative license. If my stated goal was 100%, every rivet in its place realism, i would have all sorts of people picking me apart citing how this is inaccurate, or that is in accurate, and how dare i screw this up, or omit this other item, etc etc.

But again, realism, is subjective, it all depends on who you ask. Often enough i try to shape realistic behavior on the part of the player, through abstract means. Some items in and of themselves are not realistic, but its effect on the players behavior can be. Aircraft and AI being some good examples.

The textures that some folks seem to hate, is acutally another abstraction. Fleet boats had a Attack periscope and a night periscope. It wasnt an observation periscope. NO such thing. The main difference between the two was the size of the apature and how much light it received. I chose the textures i did with the general premise of encourging the player to use the attack persicope during the day, and the night periscope at night. use the attack perscope during night, you can't see schiit. Use the night periscope during the day, (aside from having a shorter range), it just doesnt look as good because the lense is dirty, however at night you can barely tell, and you can see a heck of a lot better with it at night then the attack periscope.

When i implement or include things in TM, i often have very subtle reasons that aren't apparent at first.
Kudos Duci, when you explain it that way then it makes perfect sense. A nice balance that accomplishes the goal while being concealed nicely as a dirty scope. Also the underwater speed compels one to travel on the surface more- a very realistic attribute for American Subs of the period. Our radar gave us an advantage that must be used to enhance effectiveness and air search radar is available from the start. The perk of 10 kts being optimum is just gravy.

I look at these things differently now in TM because of your rational. Great insight into the minds of your fellow simmers to push them into realistic use of their assets.

Old 05-09-08, 09:19 PM   #419
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

I meant to link to these earlier. There some screenshots i took awhile ago at about the time i applied changes to the periscopes. Im sure you can see the difference:

Attack periscope being used at night:

Night periscope (observation periscope in stock) being used at night on the same target:

What this is, is an attempt to simulate the different apature sizes. The standard attack periscope used in American submarines was 1-1/4 inches in diameter at the upper end. Thats great for making it very small and hard to spot, but it doesn't allow much light. While the night scope had a larger head for increased light gathering ability.

4th paragraph down at this url gives a rough description:
http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87...e_24/eyes2.htm
Old 05-09-08, 09:45 PM   #420
Defiance
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 672

Woohoo i likes it

Seems lots of goodies your working on for TMO Ducimus

As a TM TMO addict i shall eagerly await for updates

Cheers