Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 03-24-11, 07:01 PM   #331
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

All versions will have that filter, only on the WESTERN version it's FORCED and can't be turned off like the Eastern Version.

That kills performance, really wtf UBI haven't they digged their graves deep enough yet?

aaaand after seeying this:

(well the peformance can be due his slight dated hardware but...the sounds and flight behaviour hitting the other aircraft and after that colision just seems so familiar to me ***hint***We have been playing it for like 5 years now***)

I scratched IL2:CoD off my list....I'm not going to blow 66€ on that.
with the latest updates about CoD beeing negative and it doesn't seem like the game is in great shape or has something really new to offer then the old game and this last thing by UBI soft is the last drop for me.

HunterICX
Old 03-24-11, 07:14 PM   #332
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 08:15 PM   #333
Oberon
Lucky Jack

(The reviewer is obviously not a flight sim regular.)

Not impressed with sound. Except for the 303s, they sound pretty nice.

Well...we should see some more videos going up on youtube over the next 24-48 hours as the Russians get their copy of CoD.

This epilepsy business definitely sounds pretty screwed up.
Old 03-24-11, 09:24 PM   #334
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

That's amazing... I didn't think they had it in them.

I mean, I'm assuming it reduces the risk of epilepsy; Who in their right mind would play these games if they suffer from epilepsy, even if there is only a small chance? Sincerely doubt they'll go "OK, I'll risk it.".

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 09:55 PM   #335
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Like the .303 sound too.

Buuuut then there's the engine sounds taken straight from IL2... baaaaah.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 01:36 AM   #336
msalama
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 99

Quote:
...and can't be turned off like the Eastern Version.
The thing is there's no framerate-crippling epilepsy filtering technology in any other game UBI has released lately (that I know of at least). Now I'm not saying they don't contain any, just that implemented properly it doesn't seem to hurt performance very much. Which then makes you wonder whether all this anti-epilepsy talk is just them trying to find an excuse for the game running so badly...

This has got to be the most bizarre game release ever, BTW. In development for six years and this is the outcome? The HELL were they doing all this time - drinking Stoli and making whoopee with the Spitgirl maybe?
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 01:10 PM   #337
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

So it looks like i have more money for my PC fund! WOOT!
so it sounds like they brought the lawnmowers out from storage to do the sounds?
Old 03-25-11, 01:38 PM   #338
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Dev-statement from Luthier on the 1C forums

Quote:
Hi everyone,

The team could never in a million years imagine that a post on a Russian-language forum would so quickly make the rounds and spread around the internet.

The information there is not accurate, especially the placing of the blame on Ubisoft.

I feel that I need to describe this in more detail.

Our game did cause wide-scale epilepsy failures when tested. Propellers, muzzle flashes, smoke puffs, explosions, falling bombs, flying or taxiing between buildings, sun shining through canopy framework, etc, they were all causing potentially seizure-inducing flashes.

We worked hard to address all these issues individually, but since a flight sim is all about fast-moving large objects, there were just too many instances of things causing high-contrast flashes.

So, as we were running out of time, WE decided to implement this epilepsy filter as a stop-gap measure.

The filter sits on top of the game's graphics wrapper. It saves a previous frame, and then compares it pixel-by-pixel to the new frame. When two pixels are found with a high degree of contrast between them, the new pixel is toned down to make the change less drastic.

This causes a visual effect somewhere between bloom and motion-blur that removes virtually all instances of high-contrast flashes.

However this pixel-by-pixel frame analysis and modification takes up additional resources, it in fact delays the showing of each new frame until each pixel of it checked, and therefore the filter is causing deteriorated performance that is especially notable on lower-end machines.

We are continuing to work to optimize the game and to increase its framerate. Ubisoft has been very patient and understanding with us throughout the entire process, and we are continuing to work with them very closely to find the best solution to epilepsy issues.

In summary, I want to stress that it is OUR code and OUR game engine that is causing performance issues. And it US who has to make it better, and that's exactly what we pledge to do.

Seeadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 01:47 PM   #339
Oberon
Lucky Jack

And in about fifteen patches and several community mods that's probably what will happen.
Old 03-25-11, 02:01 PM   #340
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
In summary, I want to stress that it is OUR code and OUR game engine that is causing performance issues. And it US who has to make it better, and that's exactly what we pledge to do.
but YOUR code and YOUR game has to sell isn't it?

I'm worried that the game production value is not worth the price paying for at release.

probally a nice title to pick up like when IL2: 1946 the whole package for just 20€ or less.

HunterICX
Old 03-25-11, 02:24 PM   #341
Dowly
Lucky Jack

I've decided to pre-order it towards the end of the month if the D2D sale is still up and I got the money to spare.
Old 03-25-11, 06:07 PM   #342
AngusJS
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 62

Who the hell cares about epilepsy? You put a warning in the manual, the EULA and on the box, and you leave it at that.

Why did they hurt gameplay for EVERYONE just to pander to a small group that shouldn't even be playing these kinds of games in the first place?
AngusJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 03:16 PM   #343
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
I've decided to pre-order it towards the end of the month if the D2D sale is still up and I got the money to spare.

I've just bought A-10 from D2D and got 20% off with the voucher code itspayday, so just over £30 - I'm happy (until somebody points out it's probably cheaper elsewhere!). Don't know if that code is only for UK, I would've thought so

If the offer is still on, and there is a gift option like on Steam, maybe you'd get it cheaper by getting someone here to gift it to you?
Old 03-27-11, 05:52 AM   #344
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Can't use the code for pre-order items.
Old 03-28-11, 12:51 PM   #345
devastat
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Guys I bought the game. Currently it is the "Silent Hunter 5" of flight sims. Graphics are really beautiful, lots of detail and the gameplay feels great, but bugs and performance problems (on high-end systems) makes it currently unplayable.

However this time I believe that the devteam are gonna fix the game unlike Silent Hunter 5. But its gonna bomb in reviews - for sure and probably affect the sales really badly.