SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-13, 02:50 PM   #1906
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekmek View Post
Does this still only work with your version on granny? (sorry cant check right now)
yes currently only works with v2.8.33.0. I'll be REing a newer version sometime this week
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 09:24 PM   #1907
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

v1.1.362.1 released. See post #1

Finished coding the TrackGroups tab for now. You can edit anything related to TrackGroups. You cannot add or delete them though as I don't understand their purpose yet. I'm hoping that by exposing them to you all (the ability to edit/change them) we can discover their purpose You'll have to open them up in Granny Viewer to check the animations/what has changed from your edits. I've already discovered a couple things about them...

I'm coding the Animations tab currently.

Old 03-05-13, 12:38 AM   #1908
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

v1.1.363.1 released. See post #1

Finished coding in the Animations tab.

Let's start experimenting with the settings in these Animations and TrackGroups tabs so that we can figure out what they mean/do

Old 03-05-13, 08:07 AM   #1909
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
v1.1.363.1 released. See post #1

Finished coding in the Animations tab.

Let's start experimenting with the settings in these Animations and TrackGroups tabs so that we can figure out what they mean/do

gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 09:29 AM   #1910
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

If you manage to discover anything in regards to the animations/track groups please post it here. Doesn't matter how trivial it may seem. A couple of small pieces of the puzzle can unlock a large piece of the puzzle Did I mention that I love puzzles?

Anything that has Flags means this:
- a value of 0x0 means no translating, no rotations, and no scaling/shearing
- a value of 0x1 means has position (translating) info
- a value of 0x2 means has orientation (rotation) info
- a value of 0x4 means has scale/shear info
The above are bit values so you can combine them. Thus a value of 0x5 would mean:
- has position (translating) info and scale/shear info but no orientation (rotation) info

TrackGroup TransformTracks:
- The name of the transform track comes from either a bone or mesh
- PositionCurve.CurveData: Controls: the three float values define the X,Y,Z offset of the object. If they are defined then these will be added to the object's original defined position. How do we know which object this is working on? The name property (the name displayed) is the name of the bone or mesh this will be applied on.
Old 03-05-13, 10:13 AM   #1911
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
If you manage to discover anything in regards to the animations/track groups please post it here. Doesn't matter how trivial it may seem. A couple of small pieces of the puzzle can unlock a large piece of the puzzle Did I mention that I love puzzles?
Sure, these days I am just messing with guns elevations, which are strictly connected with their animation
Old 03-05-13, 11:01 AM   #1912
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

what I posted about the Flags doesn't seem to always apply in the TrackGroups
Old 03-05-13, 05:36 PM   #1913
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

I wrote some code that allows the app to delete VectorTracks from a TrackGroup. You will be able to either delete a VectorTrack one at a time or delete them all at once Writing the code to delete the TransformTracks currently.

As a test I deleted all the VectorTracks from an aircraft and viewed it in Granny Viewer. The animations still work so that means the TransformTracks and responsible for animations Now just have to figure out these TransformTracks. Once the code is in place to delete TransformTracks I will be able to narrow down which one (TransformTrack) is responsible for the propeller's animation and thus should make it easier to decipher these TransformTracks

Now I just have to test how the game handles this (all VectorTracks removed). I'm hoping for a certain effect

Old 03-05-13, 05:51 PM   #1914
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

well that theory was shot to pieces. I was hoping that maybe by deleting all the VectorTracks the airplane would still be visible after it died (exploded). Don't understand the purpose of these VectorTracks

v1.1.365.1 released. See post #1

You now have the ability to delete VectorTracks from a TrackGroup.
Old 03-05-13, 06:02 PM   #1915
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
As a test I deleted all the VectorTracks from an aircraft and viewed it in Granny Viewer. The animations still work so that means the TransformTracks and responsible for animations
Following your progress with high interest. I couldn't get the sense of the above sentence though: did you mean that TransformTracks are responsible for animations or, as it would be more logical, tha they are not?
Old 03-06-13, 12:35 AM   #1916
Ekmek
Mate

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

My GR2s aren't opening. It was either 355 or 356 that I first tried it and it opened that old augustus gr2 but wouldn't open others. Now with 365 it says "failed to retrieve handle to Granny viewer process"

I attached a rar with a few gr2's that are created with "grannymaterialhacker" it was a quick utility that made game playable GR2s for reskinning. The program cant access all the textures (probably because if the hidden stuff you found) but I included it and all the DLLs so maybe you can find how they did it. They lost their source code in a burglary but said that the program can be decompiled in Reflector and was done in C++. I hope it helps

http://www.mediafire.com/?mtv89wmrbabatv1

Also, they made their program use the one of the DLLs to make the GR2s for civ5. Maybe you can see what they did so we can recompress? just a thought, nothing urgent. Thank you for your work!
Ekmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 09:25 AM   #1917
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
My GR2s aren't opening. It was either 355 or 356 that I first tried it and it opened that old augustus gr2 but wouldn't open others. Now with 365 it says "failed to retrieve handle to Granny viewer process"

I attached a rar with a few gr2's that are created with "grannymaterialhacker" it was a quick utility that made game playable GR2s for reskinning. The program cant access all the textures (probably because if the hidden stuff you found) but I included it and all the DLLs so maybe you can find how they did it. They lost their source code in a burglary but said that the program can be decompiled in Reflector and was done in C++. I hope it helps

http://www.mediafire.com/?mtv89wmrbabatv1

Also, they made their program use the one of the DLLs to make the GR2s for civ5. Maybe you can see what they did so we can recompress? just a thought, nothing urgent. Thank you for your work!
Run the app with admin rights. Ensure you didn't install your Granny Viewer or the app in the \Program Files or \Program Files (x86) folder. The error of failed to retrieve handle to blah blah is Windows imposing security restrictions on you.

I'm not using any outside DLLs with the app to avoid legal problems. I'll use a company's app against them (ala Granny Viewer) though as there are no legal ramifications against injecting code and hooks into a running process.

I can read the whole GR2 file now except for embedded images without using any DLL. Because I can read it I can also write it. I don't need to look at any DLL or RE any DLL to find out how to read a GR2 file anymore. I understand the structure/layout and how to manipulate it

There really is no need to recompress a GR2 file unless you are installing it on a tablet or handheld device where the harddrive space is small. You have to understand that a compressed GR2 file still has to be decompressed when loaded. The file is junk unless it's decompressed. This adds in the loading time of whatever app due to having to decompress x GR2 files. Being already decompressed speeds up the loading time Compressing a GR2 file is just one way to 'hide' the information contained in it.
Old 03-06-13, 02:45 PM   #1918
Ekmek
Mate

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Run the app with admin rights. Ensure you didn't install your Granny Viewer or the app in the \Program Files or \Program Files (x86) folder. The error of failed to retrieve handle to blah blah is Windows imposing security restrictions on you.

I'm not using any outside DLLs with the app to avoid legal problems. I'll use a company's app against them (ala Granny Viewer) though as there are no legal ramifications against injecting code and hooks into a running process.

I can read the whole GR2 file now except for embedded images without using any DLL. Because I can read it I can also write it. I don't need to look at any DLL or RE any DLL to find out how to read a GR2 file anymore. I understand the structure/layout and how to manipulate it

There really is no need to recompress a GR2 file unless you are installing it on a tablet or handheld device where the harddrive space is small. You have to understand that a compressed GR2 file still has to be decompressed when loaded. The file is junk unless it's decompressed. This adds in the loading time of whatever app due to having to decompress x GR2 files. Being already decompressed speeds up the loading time Compressing a GR2 file is just one way to 'hide' the information contained in it.

Thanks. I got the GrannyViewer going but when I tried to open the montezuma.gr2 I can see it/decompress it in grannyviewer but then when I go to your app I get the Unhandled Exception error.

The GR2 in question is with the the last link I posted.
Ekmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 03:55 PM   #1919
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Thanks. I got the GrannyViewer going but when I tried to open the montezuma.gr2 I can see it/decompress it in grannyviewer but then when I go to your app I get the Unhandled Exception error.

The GR2 in question is with the the last link I posted.
Excellent. I'll check out that GR2 file to see what's going on
Old 03-06-13, 05:06 PM   #1920
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

That montezuma.GR2 is a doozy Most of the 'rules' I thought I knew just got shattered by it It exposed a new datatype in the datatype definitions - granny_real16 so that's a positive. It'll take me some time to analyze this and make the necessary changes I've already made a few that were easy to do. This granny_real16 though is something I was hoping I would never see