SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-21-13, 02:06 AM   #1786
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobiMian View Post
Well the game is no longer crashing but certain mods don't seem to be enabled despite them being activated by the JSGME. For example, there doesn't seem to be any graphical changes to the UI in game. (I can't load a navigation script, for example).
You dont enable the entire unzipped folder . Look thru the folders and read the install instructions . You will get to a sub set of folders which you enable . Dont enable the ones that say do not enable . Hope this helps . Start a new campaign for the mods to work .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 02:33 AM   #1787
JacobiMian
Swabbie

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
You dont enable the entire unzipped folder . Look thru the folders and read the install instructions . You will get to a sub set of folders which you enable . Dont enable the ones that say do not enable . Hope this helps . Start a new campaign for the mods to work .
You're right, thanks I guess the contents of some zip files were to be placed directly into the MODS folder while others already had a MODS folder within them... and I think that was what was confusing me about the UI mods in particular.
JacobiMian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 02:48 AM   #1788
Bathrone
Ensign

Downloads: 82

That isnt enough though to configure it right. The mod enabler tool overwrites files and youll find that needed dependencies arent correct when you use Sobers profile just from the mod enabler.

Each mod install instructions only mentions that mod not the whole mod list's requirements

Case in point menu.txt and different mods conflicting with each other unless you go and develop it yourself with integrating the various dependencies into all the various versions of menu.txt
Bathrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 12:03 PM   #1789
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathrone View Post
That isnt enough though to configure it right. The mod enabler tool overwrites files and youll find that needed dependencies arent correct when you use Sobers profile just from the mod enabler.

Each mod install instructions only mentions that mod not the whole mod list's requirements

Case in point menu.txt and different mods conflicting with each other unless you go and develop it yourself with integrating the various dependencies into all the various versions of menu.txt
what is not enough? and have you actually tried sober's mega mod to claim that it is not working?
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 01:10 PM   #1790
7thSeal
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 199

Hey sober, been using V12 of your wave mod and happy with it. Small waves looks good to me now and I no longer need to merge small waves from another mod with yours as I'm quite satisfied as it is now. Great work and thanks.
7thSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 08:58 PM   #1791
Bathrone
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targor Avelany View Post
what is not enough? and have you actually tried sober's mega mod to claim that it is not working?
I encourage you to read what I said

"The mod enabler tool overwrites files and youll find that needed dependencies arent correct when you use Sobers profile just from the mod enabler."

Its not a matter of just downloading the files and using his mod profile. It requires merging mod authors changes where conflicts occur.

An example I gave is menu.txt
Old 04-21-13, 09:48 PM   #1792
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

Quote:

"The mod enabler tool overwrites files and youll find that needed dependencies arent correct when you use Sobers profile just from the mod enabler."

Its not a matter of just downloading the files and using his mod profile. It requires merging mod authors changes where conflicts occur.

I'll make it simple for you:
Those little things that you are talking about: are the sacrifice that most people are willing to make to play the game. It matters not that the files are being overwritten if the end result - a working game. You have said it yourself that to the end-user it is the result that is important: well, we have the result.
In one thread you demanding simplification and talking about end-user catering. Here, you are saying that a more detailed approach: merging and arranging, and combining, and making sure everything fits together - is required. Well, as I already said in your thread: why, if you believe it is so important, you are not following your own preaching and do it?
The information on how to is freely available on the forum or by simply asking. Most of the modders are also available to ask their permission if their mods can be used/modified/etc in your project.

And if you believe that I am being harsh or not reading your posts or misunderstanding you, I will clarify exactly why, if you answer my question above.
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 09:58 PM   #1793
Bathrone
Ensign

They are not all little bugs though.

Differences in the menu.txt entries clobber key aspects of the user interface and results in problematic gameplay issues

Differences in the DLL between TDWs packages cause a CTD - hes aware of it and fixing it but for now it requires manual intervention

Some settings results in CTDs and need to be specifically configured around. For example, not enabling f7 close hatches on battlestations in the generic patcher as it will ctd near port

What I have clearly said is that the complexity needs to exist somewhere. And Ive clearly said its a very bad idea to put it in the hands of the user. When Im discussing technical issues its to be taken in the dev context not user context.
Old 04-22-13, 05:39 PM   #1794
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Quote:

The menu txt is the only one that i know of .
Old 04-22-13, 06:57 PM   #1795
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

added sobers 0901 23042013
OPEN HORIZONS II_full v2.1
You must start a brand new career as the game makes a big save file from the campaign files at the start of a career afaik .
Old 04-23-13, 02:30 AM   #1796
Bathrone
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
The menu txt is the only one that i know of .
Hi Sober

As you know I originally set out to document your modlist more fully and assist in resolving problems with it. I understood that when you said you were busy with work and that it was ok in your view to do my own modlist, that you wanted me to do my own one thats current with all the current mod versions thats included. If youve since changed your mind I am again happy to collaborate with you on what Ive found to be commonly wrong with your mod list.

Even though I dont run full realism and do use the external camera including underwater, I feel strongly about having a standardised common platform and in that light I'm happy to go with your setup if needed to reach that objective.

It isnt a negative thing to talk about problems and work on reproducing symptoms, documenting errors in configuration and so on. Thats all healthy software project activity - bugs are just simply a natural consequence of the awesomeness of the creative process Discussing these things is in no way a personal shot at anyone involved, I've got nothing but the utmost respect for the mod authors and other community contributors who are making this flawed original game better than ever.

To give an example of a configuration error in your modlist, lets look at your configuration management for the package Equipment Upgrades Fix

You took the latest main revision from the mod author which is Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_byTheBeast.rar. Then you did your own patch which is Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1 (available by date) V8 by sober.7z with a file size of just 298 kb. Then you apply his hot fix which is #Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1_HotFix.rar.

From a superficial level this looks OK. Now mate I know why you released your second configuration item, which was to uncomment the dates and enable them, great idea. Then ofcourse the hotfix from the mod author. However the problem here is the way you released the patch, you actually skipped the real mod authors Patch 1. Theres a breakdown between the mod authors releases and yours. The mod authors Patch 1, Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1.rar, is 48511 KB in length. To not corrupt this mod and to remain current with the mod authors upstream releases you need this 48meg patch, then your patch ontop of it to do your date goodness. Theres allot of changes in that 48 mb patch. Ive spent many hours trying to document your setup and then my own, and I can advise that clearly, my testing is showing there is a reduction in strange gameplay weirdness and intermittent crashes when I fixed up this package to be in synch properly with the upstream mod author and your patch.

I've been going through and analysing every mod and every configuration item in detail of your mod list. Youve got allot of mod enabler warnings and each one of those needs analysis to make sure its OK to clobber others mods changes. Its not just a matter of the order of your mod list, in some cases it necessitates merging the mods together, or in some cases I have chosen to drop a particular package from your mod list cos the incompatibility may not be considered worth it for the benefit that the mod gives. Particularly the graphic artist changes there I'm not skilled in the art space to merge changes together, I do code.

Other times the specific situation with your configuration items giving mod enabler warnings works out fine. For example in your sobers smoke screen mod I can see while it gives the baza fx configuration item warning about clobbering that revision, what you actually did was base your revision of the dynamic environment configuration item and add your own stuff to baza fx so great in that situation

While you may have done a full review of all your configuration items sometimes in the past, with updates and changes this creates the whole cycle of configuration/release management problems again. Everytime an upstream mod author change is brought into your release distribution it has the potential to take out the integrity of your configuration items in the mod list.
Old 04-23-13, 11:41 AM   #1797
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Sober,
I use your modlist as a reference. After open horizons was updated to 2.1, I, too, decided to look into the following order myself:

Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_byTheBeast
Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1 (available by date) V8 by sober
#Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1_HotFix

I change this to:
Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_byTheBeast
#Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1_HotFix

because
has a new date for one or more files.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 03:18 PM   #1798
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
To give an example of a configuration error in your modlist, lets look at your configuration management for the package Equipment Upgrades Fix

You took the latest main revision from the mod author which is Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_byTheBeast.rar. Then you did your own patch which is Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1 (available by date) V8 by sober.7z with a file size of just 298 kb. Then you apply his hot fix which is #Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1_HotFix.rar.

From a superficial level this looks OK. Now mate I know why you released your second configuration item, which was to uncomment the dates and enable them, great idea. Then ofcourse the hotfix from the mod author. However the problem here is the way you released the patch, you actually skipped the real mod authors Patch 1. Theres a breakdown between the mod authors releases and yours. The mod authors Patch 1, Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1.rar, is 48511 KB in length. To not corrupt this mod and to remain current with the mod authors upstream releases you need this 48meg patch, then your patch ontop of it to do your date goodness. Theres allot of changes in that 48 mb patch. Ive spent many hours trying to document your setup and then my own, and I can advise that clearly, my testing is showing there is a reduction in strange gameplay weirdness and intermittent crashes when I fixed up this package to be in synch properly with the upstream mod author and your patch.
Yes, a while ago I had reported exacly the same issue which looks to me as a possible oversight by sober. But probably sober didn't notice my post, as I have never received an answer on it.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 09:33 PM   #1799
Bathrone
Ensign

Mike

To use the mod authors releases

Release 1.4
Mod authors Patch 1 - 48mb not sobers date fix
Patch 1 hotfix
Then what I did was uncomment the dates like Sober and called this Patch 1 edit for dates as a forth entry in the mod enabler

If you skip the mod authors 48mb patch I found in testing that it results in gameplay weirdness and more intermittent CTDs

Last edited by Bathrone; 04-24-13 at 01:59 AM.
Old 04-25-13, 12:57 PM   #1800
java`s revenge
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 97

WOW it becomes time that i pick up the game again