Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 06-21-10, 06:23 PM   #1
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Pilots Notes:
Next time Red Leader crosses the French coastline, shoot him with Webley revolver.
Hold on , I understood that revolver was ment for you.
Right, I suddently picture seeying throught my mirror the canopy sliding open and a hand comes out holding that Webley revolver aiming at his 12 O'clock.

Right....I'll scrap any future attempts of visiting France!

HunterICX
Old 06-21-10, 06:26 PM   #2
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
Hold on , I understood that revolver was ment for you.
Right, I suddently picture seeying throught my mirror the canopy sliding open and a hand comes out holding that Webley revolver aiming at his 12 O'clock.

Right....I'll scrap any future attempts of visiting France!

HunterICX
Good idea, sir!

Truth be told, it did happen but not that often. It was frowned upon by Fighter Command to let valuable pilots gallivant off to France and generally the only time that British fighters found themselves there during the Battle of Britain was if they had been focusing so hard on following a target that they hadn't realised that they had followed it home. They usually realised about the time that flak started bursting around them, which meant it was time to go home.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 06:56 PM   #3
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Just been trying to find out a bit more about that crashed Spitfire at Kemsing, the only reference I can find is one that made a safe crashed landing in 1941 with the only casualty being a civilian firefighter who had run all the way to the crash scene and then collapsed and died (presumably heart attack) when he got there.

Funny little note about Kemsing:

Quote:
The American aviator, John Moisant, the first pilot to fly from Paris to London, and the first to cross the channel with a passenger, crashed at Kemsing in 1910. Perhaps this is not such a great distinction as Moisant crashed with great regularity across all of North Kent.
Heh...looking back at it, I was born within ten miles of Biggin Hill. I honestly didn't realise that it was that close. Always thought of it more west than it actually is.
Old 06-21-10, 08:50 PM   #4
SgtPotato
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 96

I don't know why did my engine suddenly stop for no reasons? Also, Task can see me smoking a trail, which I don't. WTF?
Old 06-21-10, 09:59 PM   #5
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPotato View Post
I don't know why did my engine suddenly stop for no reasons? Also, Task can see me smoking a trail, which I don't. WTF?
Magic... thats my final awnser. lol
Old 06-22-10, 04:21 AM   #6
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPotato View Post
You're flying the Spitfire Mk.I
if you pull negative G's (pushing the nose down) your engine will choke and if you don't be carefull it will shut off.

HunterICX

Last edited by HunterICX; 06-22-10 at 06:48 AM.
HunterICX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 06:01 AM   #7
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
The use of carburettors was calculated to give a higher specific power output, due to the lower temperature, hence greater density, of the fuel/air mixture compared to injected systems.However, the Merlin's lack of direct fuel injection meant that both Spitfires and Hurricanes were unable to pitch nose down into a steep dive. The contemporary Bf 109E, which had direct fuel injection, could "bunt" into a high-power dive to escape attack, leaving the pursuing aircraft behind because its fuel had been forced out of the carburettor's float chamber by the effects of negative g-force (g). RAF fighter pilots soon learned to "half-roll" their aircraft before diving to pursue their opponents.
If you need to dive, use a Split-S:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_S

Or (although not particularly realistic) cut power before you dive and then stick it back on once in the dive. Not exactly realistic but that's Olegs world for you.
Old 06-23-10, 12:20 PM   #8
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Err...Hunter, you might want to crack open the FMB on the 11th July mission. For some reason best known to themselves, the Hurricanes from Tangmere spawn in a giant clump in the middle of a field and promptly explode.

The Spits at Middle Wallop are fine.