Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-17, 12:50 PM   #1
OldCoder
Soundman

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter 5 on the living room TV

Hi,
I thought some people might be interested in this. I spend my day attached ot a PC so in general I don't want to sit at one for gaming, which is why from the moment of downloading SH5 early last year to early this year I hardly got into it.

However a couple of weeks ago I got more interested and bought a solution. What is this you might ask?

Well it is Steam Link and the Steam Controller. What the Steam Link is is a tiny little box about the size of your hand that sits under your TV and connects to your home network via ethernet. If you don't have your network accessible near your TV you can just buy powerline adapters which is how my house is connected.

So I have a capable PC in one room and my Steam Link under my TV. Now we just turn on the Steam Link via the controller and because my SH5 is the non-steam version I add it to my Steam library manually (actually you have to add the uplay.exe and then launch SH from that). The game runs full screen on my TV and the controller bindings just need setting up. By default much of the game works with the controller (eg moving around the sub, panning views, zooming in the attack scope etc) but I plan on some manual bindings so I can call up various options and teleport to stations more quickly. So far I've noticed no stutters or other ill behaviour.

Anyway, it works nicely for me, and is a way that I can get more out of this game. If anyone has any questions I can try to answer them.
OldCoder is offline   Reply With Quote