Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-10, 04:17 PM   #1
Raticon
Seaman

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default Swedish sub-commander says hello!

Hello all.

I got a window that recommended me to write a letter to all of you, telling me about myself and submarine games. I am (currently) 23 years old and i live in the arctic north of sweden, really north up in the really arctic part of sweden that is

My first encounter with submarine games came when i was really young. I got this bunch of "old games i don't want anymore" from my uncle, in that heap of games, Command & Conquer, Monkey Island 1 and SimCity 2000 lured, and in the very bottom i found something interesting.

"Silent Hunter", the disc said. So i installed it and saw it was about submarines, american ones hunting japanese ships in the pacific.

At first i thought that it was the most boring game ever. Just blubbering about in a tiny useless submarine with lousy graphics looking for some Sampans or other small craft to sink with my cannon.

Then, after giving the game a few valuable hours of my youth, i discovered that sinking boats with torpedoes was great fun, and then trying to run away with pings ringing in my ears like a wake-up bell in the early morning.

Naturally, this came with loads of losses, i ran aground, got sunk, challenged battleships with my puny deck-gun and got blown to kingdom come by all kinds of boats. However, i took a liking to the sneaky tactics of a submarine and after a few months of intensive gaming i got bored and i totally forgot the game.

A few years later.
I had told my uncle how cool i thought SH was, and he sent me SH2 for my birtday a few years later, after i had watched "Das Boot" and also "U-571" on TV i suddenly thought that german WW2 submarines is the coolest ever!
And i must say that German is the no.1 language for submariners. SH2 was a cool game but for some reason i didn't like it much in the long run. Can't remember why but i dropped the game after just about 2 months of playing.

...Then it came to me, a while later...

SH3. The lord. The master. The king and GOD of all submarine games!
And with GWX 3.0 and SHcommander 3.2 it is complete! it is THE submarine game of all times! And everyone who says otherwise must be tied to a stake and burned instantly.

So, that's me. I have a really demanding job and i live with my girlfriend so i'm not the super-active forum member y'all want. But i will peek in here from time to time.
Raticon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new guy here.