SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-14, 08:32 AM   #1
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

Default SH3Gen Maps

Just discovered SH3Gen. (How did I miss it for so long?) Easy to add and working fine. It looks to add a lot of detail and atmosphere. (Apologies to Arletty!)

One problem I have: When I try to open the Map Room charts using the Tatuk GIS Viewer, I get all the layers of data, but no terrain. Does anyone here know what I might have missed. I followed the instructions carefully (several times) and everything else is there. Anybody help?
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 12:11 PM   #2
AndreasT
A-ganger

Downloads: 147

What is SH3Gen? Never heard of it.
AndreasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 12:58 PM   #3
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Take a look here for information:

www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#q=sh3gen
Old 03-07-14, 04:15 PM   #4
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think I had to run Tatuk GIS under XP compatibility mode. SH3 Gen is pretty old.
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 07:55 PM   #5
WallysWorld
Swabbie

Downloads: 48

I have the same issue with SH3Gen too: no terrain detail on the GIS map. I think there might be a terrain.exe file from Global Explorer that updates the terrain files for use with TatukGIS, but it's not available anymore from Global Explorer's website.

First post below mentions a terrain.exe file to download to fix this:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...h3gen&langid=5
WallysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 11:28 PM   #6
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Yup! That seems to be the problem. Now does anybody have a working terrain.gml that they would be willing to share? I'd sure be grateful.
Old 03-08-14, 11:13 AM   #7
ohmygollygosh
Watch

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
Yup! That seems to be the problem. Now does anybody have a working terrain.gml that they would be willing to share? I'd sure be grateful.

I don't think you want terrain.gml if you have the latest viewer.

It is my understanding that you want the second release of sh3Gen v0.8.2 which use terrain.shp instead. The download section seem to have the original version which don't work with the newer viewers.

This link points to an old version of the viewer. You will be able to see the coast line with this.
http://www.christian-wendt.org/tatukgis.zip
I found the above link in this thread.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=88438&page=31

I also would appreciate a link to download sh3Gen which use terrain.shp as the newer TatukGIS viewers have better functionality to work with.
ohmygollygosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 11:47 AM   #8
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165

I just checked and it is on Maik's SH3 Mods Archives. You can get to it by going into the stickied post and scroll down a few posts until you see his sig. It lists the link and the password to get in. Look for it under the author GlobalExplorer. It is v0.8.2 which works for me. I would link it here, but I don't know if it is appropriate, but it is easy enough to find, and knowing where to get access to Maik's archives is a good thing to know anyway!
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 01:13 PM   #9
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Big salute to Ohmygollygosh! The link http://www.christian-wendt.org/tatukgis.zip for the old version of TatukGIS Viewer did the trick! It downloads TatukGIS Viewer Version 1.8.6.341, dated 2/27/2007, which works fine with the .gml files that SH3Gen v0.8.2 generates. The current version of the Viewer is 4.13.2.10935, dated 3/8/2014, and it will not recognize the terrain.gml file that SH3Gen v 0.8.2 generates. AFAIK, there is no version of SH3Gen available at this time that will produce .shp files. Fortunately the link to the old GIS Viewer is still live. Thanks again, Ohmygollygosh, for finding and sharing it.

I'm going to look for a file converter to go from .gml to .shp. If it's a relatively simple task, that would be the way to avoid being stuck with orphan software.

Thank you, everyone else, for your response and assistance. SubSim is a great place, and people like you all, who are always willing to help, make it great!
Old 03-08-14, 01:54 PM   #10
GreyBeard
Engineer

Downloads: 257

This thread, http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...67745&langid=1 , although designed for SH4, may be of use, or at least some interest, to any of you attempting to use SH3 Gen and the Tatukgis Viewer, since it is related to the Viewer and written by the author, GlobalExplorer. Just kind of stumbled upon it, thought I'd pass it along.
GreyBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 02:44 PM   #11
WallysWorld
Swabbie

Downloads: 48

After installing the older version of the Viewer, I also can report that everything is working.

I'll add my very grateful thanks for everyone's help.
WallysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 03:21 PM   #12
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Followed the link to GlobalExplorer's SH4 Tracking Room Thread. Additional useful material there, too. Since it's for SH4-OM, the maps are all usable in SH3. But there is a link to download another, different version of the TatukGIS Viewer, 1.13.1.370. More recent than the version 1.8.6.341 on the link Ohmygollygosh posted above. It works fine for the SH4 Tracking Room maps, but no cigar for the SH3Gen maps. Same problem - no terrain. However v1.8.6.341 seems to work just fine for the SH4 Tracking Room maps, so I think I don't need to keep two different versions. Much thanks to Greybeard for pointing out this very useful 4 year old tool, which had gotten under my radar.
Old 03-08-14, 03:57 PM   #13
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 304

I've uploaded a pack containing the latest v0.82 SH3Gen program, as wel as a GlobalExplorer's old website documentation. So everybody can see what it is all about after extracting it (and opening the index.html).

The free Tatukgis viewer can still be downloaded after registration on their site: (just did myself, but untested due to lack of SH3Gen maps yet)
http://www.tatukgis.com/Downloads/Tr...eVersions.aspx

I'll ask it to get uploaded to the Subsim download section aswel.

Expect it to be here:

http://ricojansen.nl/downloads/SH3Gen_pack.7z About 9 MB.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 04:24 PM   #14
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 304

I've never seen any screenshots of SH3Gen maps containing any 3d terrain. Neither can I remember that Global Explorer promised such a feature. You don't even need it. There's not much terrain in the sea to walk onto you know. So, not really sure what you are looking for. It does what it is supposed to do: make 2D maps with SH3 intel.

With the latest free TatukGIS viewer. (image resized 50%)

Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 04:42 PM   #15
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
I've never seen any screenshots of SH3Gen maps containing any 3d terrain. Neither can I remember that Global Explorer promised such a feature. So, not sure what you are looking for. It does what it is supposed to do: make 2D maps with SH3 intel.

With the latest free TatukGIS viewer.

Pisces, I can't speak for anyone else, but I never said anything about 3D terrain maps. Using the latest free TatukGIS Viewer, v 4.13.1.10709, I couldn't display the terrain.gml files produced by SH3Gen for the Tracking Room. In other words, I saw no terrain at all. None. Zip. Just a lot of symbology for bases, ships and traffic, but with no terrain to provide a reference. (As in that green stuff on the image you attached.) Sorry to have offended you, but to me that did not seem to be what it is supposed to do.

I have reinstalled both SH3Gen and TatukGIS Viewer several times. I believe I have correctly followed the directions, as provided, at least one of those times. I have been able to display the complete maps produced by v 0.8.2 using Viewer v 1.8.6.341, but not using v4.13.1.10709 (or v 1.13.1.317 either) Since you can display complete maps using v 4.13.1.10709, I would appreciate if you could share how you do so, and what steps not included in the SH3Gen documentation are necessary to do so. Thanks.

Actually, Pisces, RL nautical charts provide very little or no information about land terrain, just shorelines and occasionally, a few landmarks visible from the water. The area of land masses on a typical nautical chart is used as space for tide charts, seasonal prevailing wind charts, and other information pertinent to the mariner. One would never expect to see colored topographic contours on a nautical chart, at least not the USHO charts I am familiar with.

Last edited by BigWalleye; 03-08-14 at 04:57 PM.