SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-20-09, 02:38 AM   #1
Nicolas
Commander

Downloads: 196
Uploads: 4
[REL] Easy AOB

Ok... this mod, when the position keeper auto is off and you move the aob dial, the other aob dial in the PK will be moved too.
For those who doesnt know, when you click the clock icon to get speed, it gives you the course too. You can match the aob in the PK with the course of the target.

So, to get a very accurate solution:

1 Send range / bearing.
2 Wait a moment, and Send range / bearing again. This way the crew can plot the target course, and calculate the speed.
3 Click on the stopwatch to get speed and course, Send.
4 Move the aob dial to match the target course and Send (see picture and video).
5 Send range and bearing again and turn on the Position Keeper.
6 Fire.
If you're going to attack another ship (convoy attack):
1 Turn off the PK
2 Lock the ship, adjust AOB to the known course and Send.
3 Get range / bearing and send.
4 .....fire.

JSGME compatible version. The file contains the mod for stock, TMO and RFB.

For discussion on the inner workings of this mod please refer to the original idea and post by Nicolas. Once again thank you Nicolas for the work on finding these fixes.
Original thread:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152945

THE README FILE LOCATED IN THE RAR:

TGT DIALS TO PK FIX Readme (TGT = TARGET, 07/05/2009)

Original idea and Easy AOB mod by Nicolas. Mod compilation, range and speed dial mods by DepthDragon. Credit also goes to Munchausen and Ottos for the Manual Range and Mast Height Dial Fix.

TGT "RANGE" DIAL FIX for RFB, TMO and 1.5 versions of this mod contain the Manual Range and Mast Height Dial Fix by Munchausen, original work byOttos.

This was required to have the dials drag accordingly with the range output on the PK. GFO already contains this fix so it was not added to those versions of this mod.

WHAT THESE MODS DO:

These mods will add functionality to the position keepers (PK) AOB, RANGE and SPEED dial. You can now drag the AOB, RANGE or SPEED dial on the TGT DIAL and, the AOB, RANGE and TORP GYRO angle associated with the your targets will move accordingly.

This will give you greater accuracy on the data you input.
Using the AOB fix you determine the targets course and enter the AOB on the TGT DIAL while being able to see the PK move to the targets exact heading.

Using the SPEED fix you can see the gyro angle of your torpedo and the speed changing as you set the targets speed on the TGT DIAL.

Using the RANGE fix will make it so you can also see the numbers for range and the gyro angle move while you change the range on the TGT DIAL.
In order to enter this data your PK needs to be off and then started once the data is inputted.

Please keep in mind if you install these mods you DO NOT LOSE any functionality of the game. You can continue to use your own attack methods with the additions of these tools even if you decide to use them or not.

Look at it this way. You can determine your targets speed and course from 9 km away, enter it in the TGT DIAL, and as you get close refine your solution and take shots from distance with a higher probability of hits. No realism lost, just a gain on tools available.

COMPATIBILITY:

There are 2 mod versions for each version of the game we supported.

1) TGT DIALS TO PK FIX - This is all 3 mods combined (RFB, TMO, GFO & 1.5 versions)

2) TGT AOB DIAL TO PK FIX - This is the AOB mod on its own.

If you require only the speed or range dial fix, you can refer to the original Subsim thread listed below and manually make the change to the dials.cfg as you see fit.

This mod is tested compatible with SH4 1.5 stock, GFO, TMO 1.7 and RFB 1.52.

The Manual Range and Mast Height Dial Fix by Munchausen is included in TMO and GFO changes the dials.cfg, so to make them compatible with the dial fixes we have modified the TMO and GFO dials.cfg.

When the JSGME mod alerts that the file will be overwriting the original TMO or GFO dials.cfg, it is fine to go ahead and overwrite, it will change the dials.cfg for the corresponding mod with no problems.

INSTALLATION:

1) Copy the mod you want from the zipped file into:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\MODS

2) And enable with JSGME.

MANUAL INSTALLATION:

These modifications are made to the dials.cfg found in:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Menu\cfg

For instructions to manually alter the files without using the JSGME mods provided here, please see the thread on subsim.com, where it has been discussed:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152945

Download Link (Subsim Link):

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//downloads.php?do=file&id=1228

To make it compatible with other mods:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1962

Authorization to use the mods:

We give permission to use these mods for others as long as credit is given to the original authors.

Enjoy... and Good Hunting....

Last edited by Nicolas; 08-15-11 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Mod compatilibility link.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-09, 09:38 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Well! Ain't that interesting! And realistic, because the real sub could input either directly. That's why there are two scales on the dial. Great work, which should be incorporated into all supermods immediately, with your permission of course.

Fabulous work! It's amazing how this old game is changing with a new burst of modding activity greater than any in the past.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-09, 04:19 PM   #3
Nicolas
Commander

Thanks. Feel free to include this in any mod perhaps a little credit should be ok.
Old 06-26-09, 03:42 AM   #4
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Awesome, great find. I've been looking for a long time for this. The nice side-effect of the stupid data input is that since you usually input the AOB before turning the PK on it doesn't effect anything else. I wonder if the bearing needle can be moved like this .
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 03:15 PM   #5
Munchausen
Commodore

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1

Webster, make note. This is surely another bug fix for the TDC!
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 04:19 PM   #6
jmr
Commander

Downloads: 62

So, just to be clear, I'm modifying the existing TorpedoSolution_Temporary_AngleOnBow and adding a new one at the bottom of the dials.cfg?

EDIT: Ok I made the changes but I can't move the AOB input wheel; it's locked at 0*.

EDIT: Ahh dammit, I didn't change the first line in the dials.cfg to not exclude the newest entry. My bad.

Last edited by jmr; 06-26-09 at 05:07 PM. Reason: resolved my problem
jmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 12:43 AM   #7
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default Wow, what a mod!

I have had mixed luck until yesterday, having made careless errors in my attack including forgetting to set the target's speed, setting the torpedo run depth way to deep and not adjusting it, etc. But tonight was another story. I fired two 46 kt. torpedoes at a medium old split freighter at an AoB of less than 10° and a range of 4,403 yds. Both hit the freighter! My speed was 1 kt., as I had slowed to maintain a distance of 1,000 yds from the target's course to preserve the opportunity for a Dick O'Kane 90° degree shot in case the two shots missed. 4,403 yds. blows away my longest torpedo contact by 1,500 yds. Nicolas, your mod has changed the balance of power in the Pacific vis a vis the SS Barbarinna. Frankly, I couldn't believe that I whacked the freighter at an incredibly steep angle and from a mega distance! I did not think such a thing was possible unless luck played a big part. I was wrong on that account. I saved the mission, so I can watch a replay.

How can we corner the market on this mod?

Nicolas, the girl on the rigth wants to go out with you.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 07-01-09 at 01:15 AM.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 10:55 AM   #8
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 541
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
Ok... this mod, when the position keeper auto is off and you move the aob dial, the other aob dial in the PK will be moved too.
For those who doesnt know, when you click the clock icon to get speed, it gives you the course too. You can match the aob in the PK with the course of the target.

Very cool, have you added this to the Downloads section here? Let me know if you need help.

Neal
Old 07-03-09, 12:08 PM   #9
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Mr. Nicolas

Out of respect and awe for the Easy AoB mod, I now refer to Nicolas as "Mr. Nicolas."

Here are a couple of suggestions.

Follow Neal Stevens advise re downloading the mod in the Downloads section, as he is a (if not, the) Subsim leader.

Also, you may want to arrange for the download link to be to FileFont, as that is what seems to be the most common download site used by forum members.

I cannot speak for Mr. Nicolas, who is Guatemala [a long way from port], but ddrgn's offer to combine the Easy AoB Mod with the speed dial mod seems like a very good idea. Perhaps they should exchange messages and if an agreement is reached, then do what is necessary to combine the mod? They will have to agree on a name for the mod, but I think sticking with the Easy AoB Mod is appropriate because captains are familiar with that name already, and because the speed adjustment was initially posted within the Easy AoB Mod thread. Combining efforts to improve the game seems to be a characteristic of modders (i.e. RFB Team).

Both Mr. Nicolas and ddrgn should be creidited for their work on a combined mod, should pass "Go", collect $200, and go straight to the Hall of Fame (rather than jail.) A combined mod would improve upon what is already a magnificent piece of work, and would demonstrate a conceptual knowledge of the interrelationship of speed, torpedo angles, aspect ratios, computer programing and past attack techiques ushered in by Rockin Robbins, Werner Sobe and Hitman, with the perception that many captains are frustrated wihen all of their efforts to sink a ship go for naught as a result of the contstant adjustments required to to be made to the stadimeter.

I see that the thread has been getting around 100 hits a day, so the word is getting out. I compare using this mod to graduating from a Buick to a Ferarri. For a newbie, using the mod is akin to switching from a donkey to an Indy 500 race car. (If many captains begin to use it soon the Japanese will not have a Navy!)

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 07-03-09 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 12:47 PM   #10
Nicolas
Commander

About the download section, i sent a private message asking access to upload the mod yesterday, i don't know how to do it, help will be apreciated .
All my filefront files are gone... i don't want to upload to that site right now.

The combimod, i don't have any trouble, you can use the mod. But i prefer sending speed like it is now, so should be a separated download. ddrgn you have my permission; all have permission to use this mod like i said.

Last edited by Nicolas; 07-03-09 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 01:00 PM   #11
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default note to ddgrn

Note to ddrgn: the Easy AoB mod works with TMO/RSRDC and FOTRS. However, I have not verified if the stand alone speed adjusment mod works with those, as I screwed up when I tried to install it. If the mods are combined, which could be soon, I will try a reinstall.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 07-03-09 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 02:25 PM   #12
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Okie dokie, I will work on making a JSGME compatible mod and check all the super mods for compatibility. Should have it done by later tonight.
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 02:45 PM   #13
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

I'll wait for the JSGME. Hope it's up soon. Maybe you could get Ducimas to add it to 1.8

I love Nisgeis' Radar Range Mod v2.05. Nice having a working digital radar readout. I can easily get the speed with this using radar only, but the more the better.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 03:22 PM   #14
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Dicumus/Armistead

Dicumus does not accept private messages. I tried to send him an message about this mod, but it was rejected. Armistead, if you can let him know, it would be appreciated.

I just started a new campaign in TMO/RSRDC. I missed my first target for two reasons. It changed course at the last minute and I set the aspect ratio by comapring the keel of the shadow ship to the top of the target's mast rather than the top of its funnel. The shots went wide of the bow.

I nailed the second target, a freighter at 11 kts, with two shots at 1200 yds. I set the aspect ratio to its funnel.

I never read the instructions for TMO, so I suppose you set the aspect ratio off the funnel and not the mast.

This mod makes hunting and attacking a pleasure. It sounds like Mr. Nicolas has given ddrgn permission to make a combined mod for Easy AoB and Speed that can be installed via JGSME. Until it is incorporated it into a major mod, we can load it is a mod and use it. The hard work was done by Nicolas and ddrgn, and now I expect things could move quite quickly to make it an integral part of the game.

My goal is to sink a moving target at over 5,000 yds, but I need to perfect my technique a little more before I plan that attack in wartime conditions. Imagine attaxcking a task force at 5,000 yds. I think the trick will be to get the correct aspect ratio, which at that distance is almost impossible to do if the weather is not perfect and night has not fallen.
Old 07-03-09, 06:59 PM   #15
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default not all problems solved

I missed several shots at a task force. The problem was that I attacked at night. It is impossible to get a good aspect ratio when it is dark unless you do so by luck. I tried several times. When I check the Attack Map to verify my firing solution, my torpedo angle was fine, but the direction of the ship was pointing to 0 degrees north rather 30 degrees, which was the direction of the target. Of course the shot missed.

You need a good aspect ratio to hit a ship regardless if you have locked its position via the speed and AoB mod adjustments. That is a law of the submarine warfare and I think we are stuck with it. My night periscope on the TMO/RSRDC mod did not save me here.