View Single Post
Old 07-02-14, 11:56 AM   #4641
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Torshavn Habor Incursion Report

My old stomping grounds of the North of England are no longer as I remember them. There are fewer merchants, their ships are faster, and the sky is teaming with aircraft. I cannot catch the ships under water and I cannot surface because aircraft show up every 10 minutes.

So I push on westward where I spy Torshavn. I know little about it, but it's a hostile city. Does it have a harbor? Maps say yes. I study them carefully. It looks possible. Let's investigate.

After two days underwater adventure, surfacing only to get air, I am within sight of the harbor. I see two coastal vessels of some sort, a warship, and a heavy cruiser. Hydrophone contact negative. My watch officer assures me that all ships are stationary. Periscope depth and we move in at 1 knot, rigged for silent running. My navigation officer assures me that depth under keel is 4 meters. I must be crazy. At dusk I spend two hours maneuvering for a shot on the heavy cruiser. Finally I give up. I can't even get a 45º AOB. In frustration I torpedo the other warship–a destroyer as it turns out. It sinks immediately. No sirens, no warnings, no screaming, but a warship comes to investigate and beaches itself on the opposite island. What an idiot.

At 1 knot I slip off into the night. I am not likely to return.
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote