View Single Post
Old 06-27-14, 08:26 PM   #4636
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default the story so far

Feb. 1945.
We have left the mediterranean and the afrika korps behind. A lost cause anyway, and it cost us 2 crewmen. We got 2 months off in Dec. for massive repairs to the boat. Cheaper to just build a new one, but the brass was insistent. I got accused of leaving "my friend" in the lurch, but the truth is, we were never friends by any personal experience, more like respect of one's career. With no regrets we leave it all behind.
On to Norway. Transferred to the 11th fleet, December, 1944. Trusty ole U99 has been around for 33 patrols and has returned to Bergen for the last time.
With great pleasure we announce the appointment of the Captain and crew of U99, to take command of the new type XXI, U2511, effective immediately.
You are to make the fullest demands on your craft so that any problems that arise may be dealt with swiftly. (memo doesn't say why) Also, nothing in there about a promotion. Same ole Kaptänleutnant as before. Oh well, at least we got a new ride.
Braved about 180m deep dive on first patrol. Sunk a few ships. Discovered how much I hate pattern running torpedos. Returned to base.
2nd patrol, beginning of Feb. 1945.
Still getting used to the new sub. Our old sub, U99 was assigned a new captain and crew, and departed for duty, about the same time as our first patrol. Monitoring the radio transmissions, U99 has been ordered to report position 3 times, and so far, each call has remained unanswered...
Deep dive report, 260 meters and all is well. Seals remain tight. Can't wait to put it to the real test.

Last edited by UKönig; 06-27-14 at 10:21 PM.
UKönig is offline   Reply With Quote