View Single Post
Old 10-13-22, 06:09 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

When I see a European red Eichhörnchen, I immediately feel joy and my heart becomes lighter a bit. Its inevitable. Its more than just being amused, its real joy. I am convinced of: Eichhörnchen bringen Freude in das Leben. I could watch them hours and hours, and in fact I do, via my wildlife cam. When one of those little Fellnasen crosses my way, it sticks on my mind, and I still smile long after the encounter has ended.

If I would have the space and place, I would be a squirrel rehabber, no doubt on that. I have the time, the (theoretical) knowledge, even the emergency equipment (though I do not expect seriously the lightning will ever struck my place...) and the love for it. I have all what it takes - just not the place. A tragedy! At least I can maintain nut-bars and fill-em-up drinking stations in the garden and film them there, and this way help to increase their chances to get over the winter. Of hunger and weakening from it they must not die, at least this I can make sure. And the have mapped the place, they know it since their first months exploring the world when they left their mother.

Of the three brothers that I follow and observe since 2020, and who now lived through their third summer, two are still coming frequently, and currently daily again, collecting nuts like crazy. Kira had health issues, but seems to have fully recovered. Taro is as confident and fit and calm and resting in himself as he always has been. Only Sari is MIA.

I am surprising myself, but I take great joy from them. If one day they will not come anymore, I will really miss them. The European red squirrel can live up to 10-12 years in a well-cared "Voliere", but in freedom they live only 3-5 years, due to the stress and exhaustion, many get killed earlier by predators. American grey squirrels (sciurus virginensis) can live up to 25-28 years! In germany, squirrels are under spoecial protection of the law. Unfortunately that really needs to be so, the population struggles. In the first summer, six diofferent an imals frequen tly came to my feeders. Now, its two left.

I am mad for squirrels.

And a full chanel of beautiful shot videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Tinemeier/videos

Last edited by Skybird; 10-13-22 at 06:33 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote