Old 04-19-08, 02:28 PM   #114
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix3000
Hi OLC,

Just visiting Subsim after taking SH3 GWX 2.1 and your mod for a spin.

I like it! - and best of all it runs smoothly with no frame rate issues, unlike before - excellent news!

Only one thing I can't get used to - no switching of the magnification in the periscope views. I tried a few single missions both against lone vessels and convoys, but I'm having trouble adjusting.

For example, I did the single mission taking on the convoy in the north sea supplying the Russians. I managed to creep up against them but when I raised the peri a huge tanker was about to cross right in front of me, so I didn't fire assuming it was too close - of course it wasn't - I was seeing a permanently zoomed view. Switching to outside camera I could then tell it was several hundred yards away, so I could have sunk her easliy.... oh well... By this time she had gone by.

The new attack scope is 3X, and it does take a bit of getting used to. But then, so did OLC GUI, when it was released. Once you've adjusted to playing with it, the new scope is IMO actually more useful than the old one in some ways (namely the actual attack itself, where 3X works very well at normal attack ranges) and less useful in other ways (observation). I admit it's a trade-off, but personally I like it better this way overall, given that you get the benefit of new look of the waves by having it this way. If you decide you don't want to get used to it or if you try to and still don't like it, v1.1 of the Ubermod has the option to install OLCE2 on its own, so you can use OLCE2 with the GWX GUI or with OLC GUI v1.2.3, but then you'll have the zoom-flattened waves of course.

I miss the 'overall' view if you know what I mean.

I can see the benefits of the sea state though, especially when in the tower in heavy seas, your binoculars are often obscured by large waves - nice effect.

I did notice you can no longer zoom in with the flak guns either - haven't tried the deckgun yet.

I'd actually forgotten about that! Yes, I applied the same fix to all cameras, which has the bonus side-effect of making the deck/flak guns harder to control manually. Yes, bonus. This is the same end result as the planned/abandoned GWX 2.1 deck gun camera changes. Since I never actually man them myself it makes no difference to me, but I thought it was a nice touch to what is meant to be a high realism mod.

I now see a new release too, you have been busy!

By the way, do I need to enable your new wave textures as used in GWX2.0, or is it included?

OLCE2 includes new wave textures. Furthermore, you're more or less forced to use them because if you try to use other wave textures (e.g. OLC Improved Wave Textures) they won't look right, because I've adjusted all the foam variables to suit the new OLCE2 textures. So, I hope you like em! Feedback is welcome of course.

Cheers

Px3000
Above in green