View Single Post
Old 05-31-20, 01:38 AM   #1146
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

I do understand that they are hard. I went into the Museum and looked at the Large Composite Freighter (which does not match its recognition manual image at all by the way) and immediately spotted a few issues that mean a silhouette would have to be manually created.

The first is that the "deck accessories" seem to be applied to the ships so you see deck guns, cargo and liferafts on the Merchantmen. I don't know if these accessories are randomised or always present on every vessel of that type.

Next is the angle of view on the screen. In order to be close enough to see detail that would need to be captured in the silhouette, you are close enough to get perspective distortion so you see pairs of vents and pairs of cranes. The model needs "flattening" before it would be useful. If you pull back to get a flatter view, less detail is captured.

The museum also adds the bow and stern wake which messes with the view of the vessel. While the waterline is useful, it would be handy of we could get rid of the wakes.

I would be prepared to capture side images of the obvious mismatched or absent silhouettes and bow on would be easy enough to do but I will have to see if I can view the models outside the game rather than in the museum first.

Last edited by DanielCoffey; 05-31-20 at 04:18 AM.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote