View Single Post
Old 04-28-10, 12:12 AM   #1
timmy41
Weps

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Sinking the HMS Howe, an AAR.

VII-C U-48
Set out from Bergen, 11th flotilla, for my 37th patrol on April 7th 1943.
My goal was to patrol the route to Murmansk and sink as many 5000+ ton ships as possible. So I set a route around the north side of Lerwick to start off patrolling 200 kilometers north of Scapa flow and head to Murmansk from there.
April 10th, 0908, AE9695, I pic up RADAR signatures from the NE and set course to observe. From a visual I was able to confirm it was a task force consisting of 6 or so destroyers, 3 cruisers, and 1 battleship. The task force was traveling at 15 knots, almost my top speed, but with some quick math and knowledge of the route that they were very likely to take due to previous experience (from sinking the Rodney on the same task force route in '40) I thought I should be able to get ahead of them. I plotted their likely course, and then plotted mine. I thought they should turn east from their course of 144 degrees about 200 kilometers north of Scapa flow just as the Rodney had. I maintained radar signature contact until my race to get ahead of them at the very end.
At 1900 I had gotten into position, and the ships came over the horizon. I prepped the Mk. IIIe7 Torpedoes for magnetic pistol, 1.2 degree spread, 10 meter depth, expected contact at 4500 meters. The Weather was clear, about 7mps wind, and I was hoping that this would be calm enough for the magnetic torpedoes to get to target without detonating early.
At 1911 or so, the Howe came in to sight my sights, Gyroscope at 0, and I flipped the switch to fir the salvo. I hit it to 2 knots and begin my exit while diving.
At 1915, 1 torpedo pre-detonated, 2 hit, and one missed. She immediately started sinking, much to my surprise. Seconds before hand I had launched a decoy and hit it to all ahead flank for a good burst of distance while the decoy was making noise.
I dove to 150 meters, but after a bit I ran into a raised portion of the seabed, and had to go back to 120 meters. Repairs only took a minute.
By 1940, the Howe was fully under water, and the destroyers still had not done any accurate depth charge runs.
By 2100 I had escaped and made my run for Bergen, not wanting to risk ruining such luck by intercepting more ships this late in the war!
Hope you enjoyed reading! Pictures will be added below in 20 minutes or so once theyre done uploading!
timmy41 is offline   Reply With Quote