View Single Post
Old 10-07-12, 01:45 AM   #218
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Oh, that is snothing, just wait for Windows 8 - MS obviously tries to change the game for PCs as well and turn the Windows PC into a closed system like Apple and its depending iUniverse.

Background: if MS succeeds and people tolerate W8, it will spell agony for games on PCs, but maybe will bring Linux the long awaited breakthrough not only on servers, but home PCs as well. Steam starts to develope for Linux now, in reaction to W8. The Minecraft developer has refused a MS request to let his game being licensed for W8. I hope more game studios and developers do like this. Business is not eager to buy W8 either, since they have longer updating cycles for basic software, than private households. If now gamers could be sensible enough for the future of gaming, and boycott W8 as well, then there is hope that the PC will remain to be a free gaming platform for some years longer. Windows 8 must fail - we cannot afford to let it become a success for MS. It would kill the PC as we know it. Turning the PC into a closed universe like Apple is the real drive behind Microsoft pushing tablets and W8 Metro. The latter are only baits to soften up resistance to their real ambition.

The more costly a W8 debacle for MS becomes, the better.
Skybird, you have to differentiate between Windows 8 desktop and Windows 8 Metro apps. Windows 8 desktop programs remain as today.

Metro is more or less in the first version a touch-based OS and I do not think that on the desktop it becomes the major flavor in the foreseeable future.

I know a lot of people say the desktop is dead, blabla but I do not believe that. Often the same people complain that they do not wanna work with a tablet for more than an hour.

I also do not like closed systems but we have to tolerate that probably the majority of end users exactly wanna having this due to security and stability issues. 95% of the non IT-people also do not install apps on web pages...they just go to the market.

So, personally I hope MS has success so that Apple gets a further competitor.
From a developer perspective MS has the best development tools and framework, which I like very much.
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote