View Single Post
Old 07-03-14, 12:53 PM   #212
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default A myth of the Lost Cause-not really Pickett's Charge!

^That's Armistead in the picture not Pickett!" As soldiers straggled back to the Confederate lines along Seminary Ridge, Lee feared a Union counteroffensive and tried to rally his center; Pickett was inconsolable. When Lee told Pickett to rally his division for the defense, Pickett allegedly replied, "General Lee, I have no division." Pickett's official report for the battle has never been found. It is rumored that Gen. Lee rejected it for its bitter negativity and demanded that it be rewritten, and an updated version was never filed." Not without a (very) dry wit of his own as other post war Confederates commented on the war: Asked by reporters why Pickett's Charge failed, Pickett frequently replied: "I've always thought the Yankees had something to do with it." General Lee lost 23 battle flags in Pickett's Charge -- more than he had lost in the previous 14 months combined. IMHO: it should have been called Longstreet's Charge; but he successfully shifted responsibility-and blame-to his artillery chief, Col Alexander, and wrote better postwar accounts in defense of his actions as R.E.Lee's "old War Horse"... Pickett, who wrote none, died in 1875. In the end, the man who knew best, said it best, to returning Gen. Cadmus Wilcox: "It has all been my fault"- R.E. Lee http://www.mwclarkson.com/2013/07/the-man-who-lost-gettysburg/ from the 300' Cyclorama painting at Gettysburg Museum-the 'High water mark of the Confederacy' at the wall 6/3/1863. A day's simple plan-the flank attacks having failed-break their center:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote