View Single Post
Old 12-12-20, 09:10 AM   #2286
Mandrisk
Swabbie

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
The Bismarck Sea is an interesting hunting ground. Slipping in between Umboi Island and Long Island is basically a guarantee of finding a Japanese sampan (at least in January 1944), and there’s a decent amount of oceangoing Japanese merchant ships headed to Rabaul from the rough direction of Manus Island.

You’ll have full fuel tanks too, as there’s a submarine tender nearby at Tulagi. And from what I’ve found in some casual research, it’s historically accurate to head there from Brisbane to refuel before heading to your patrol area.

There are lots of air contacts, but they’re mainly USAAF, USN, or RAAF aircraft. Don’t be surprised if they blow up a sampan or crippled steamer right before you attack it. Plus, you can rescue the aircrews of friendly aircraft that do get shot down. I’m dragging an Avenger crewman with me to the Truk-Saipan-Palau triangle right now after I sank the split merchant that shot him and his wingman down. Sinking that steamer did seem to get the IJN aviation’s attention, though.
Yes these are the kind of stories that I meant with "hours of fun"
Mandrisk is offline   Reply With Quote