View Single Post
Old 06-06-17, 10:01 PM   #5
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark View Post
I have read a lot of requests for a periscope depth hotkey along with other questions about operating at this depth. In post W.W.II submarine warfare isn't the use of a periscope (or other masts) similar to using active sonar? Doesn't it increase your risk of being discovered more than it helps you find the enemy?

IIRC the Americans enjoyed a sound advantage over the Russians and, as such, attacks were carried out with passive sound almost exclusively. I also thought I read somewhere (vague memory) that doing away with the periscope was considered, but was kept on primarily for photo recon. Can anybody who studies this era enlighten me.

Thanks
The periscope can be counter-detected, yes. But it is still a passive device in principle (unless you use a laser for range finding). Active sonar is, well, active! You're emitting sound that can be directly detected. A periscope is just receiving light (again, unless using a laser for range finding). I've also heard, and it's not a big stretch of the imagination, that periscopes incorporate stealth technology.

But, yes, the general protocol seems to be put it up for a few seconds and then lower it. Leaving it up can definitely be an issue for counter-detection.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote