View Single Post
Old 12-04-19, 11:30 AM   #6
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

I was thinking in the order of 15-25 minutes of active hunt/depth-charging. However, as many of you know, the disturbed water from depth-charges made re-acquiring the U-boat very difficult. I do not know what the interval between successful asdic searches was, although I surmise that once most of the bubbles created had reached the surface, this would likely define the earliest point in time where a successful asdic detection could re-occur.

This suggests that the interval above would be proportionate to the depth at which the charges exploded, assuming a steady acceleration of, and constant size of, the bubbles returning to the surface.

This also touches on an as yet unmodeled effect of depth-charges: If charges exploded below the depth of the U-boat, then the effect was to temporarily rob the U-boat of buoyancy, causing it to sink rapidly at least to the level at which the charges detonated. This in turn compels the U-boat crew to have to make more strenuous efforts to attain and maintain depth expending air, or making noise via e-motor derived dynamic buoyancy. In my view this would be a most worthy aspect of boat physics to model.
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote