View Single Post
Old 10-03-19, 10:18 AM   #5
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

A few years ago I decided a gaming laptop was perfect for my situation. I bought a Sager as well. Everyone says they are inferior, and in a sense they are, but it worked great, ran everything I could throw at it. After a couple of years it's age began to tell and I started building desktops again.

A couple of points from my experience.... the thing ran hot. It was already mentioned, but worth it again. I would never have considered using on my lap. Like Mike said, I used some books to make two piers on either end so that air could flow beneath it while sitting on a table or desk.

Mobile versions of graphics cards are not quite the same as their desktop cousins. It might say 2070, but might also have the 'M' suffix? It will work great, it's still a very powerful card. But they still are less capable than the full version of the card.

The power 'brick' that came with the laptop was close to the size and weight of an actual brick!

Despite everyone I knew advising against it, I found it worked really well for the games I was in to at the time, and that included plenty of AAA titles. The only real drawback was the price. Compared to a similar desktop, the laptop was considerably more expensive. And I don't build laptops, like I do my other PCs, so can't save money on the DIY route.