View Single Post
Old 08-24-12, 03:48 AM   #15
BigBANGtheory
Officer

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pharoah View Post
MSF is a good example of where the devs DIDN'T listen to the customer and SHO is heading there as well...
Absolutely true.

Also (building on what Orpheus was saying), SIM type game developers need to understand the SIM player first not try to carve out their own take on things and sell it afterwards in a 'oh I thought you guys would have loved this'.

We all know about DCS, I would argue Arma2 vs. Operation Flashpoint2 is another example.

To my mind this is a clear attempt at cross platform gaming with an eye on the Mobile market until next-gen consoles are out. F2P and online gaming has nothing to do with it just look at Mechwarrior Online using CryEngine3, which will suceed for a number of reasons...
- it moved the franchise forwards
- massive beta participation
- it never looked so good
- game Devs understand the players and have a shared vision
- game Devs are in frequent contact with players, not just via social media and forums they drop into games, voice channels, they listen and they think about it, and they respond. So there is a climate of trust.

With SHO where is the interaction with the players BEFORE going down the wrong path?

As for Man hours/effort to do a proper SIM, well I'd just point people to Combat Helo. Ok sure its not available yet, but just look at what 2 guys (perhaps 2.5) have done there. It can be done...
BigBANGtheory is offline   Reply With Quote