View Single Post
Old 05-11-20, 09:04 AM   #1
SS385
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
SHO Hello all!

Hello all,

I'm a Silent Hunter (1996) fan from when the game first came out, and I still play it from time to time to this day. From DOS to Windows 98 to VDMSound on Windows XP and DOSBOX most recently, I've gone through all the usual efforts to keep this game playable. Yes, I've played and owned other sub sims (Gato, Silent Service, Silent Hunter II, for instance) but none have compared to the feel of this gem.

For those who wonder about my screen name, it is the hull number of USS Bang, the ship on which my grandfather served in the Pacific during the Second World War, and on which he made several war patrols. Many years ago I actually played the game once or twice with him in the room, and he offered a few choice comments about things like going to radar depth (rather than periscope depth) within 10,000 yards of a convoy ("Huh, you're brave, lad!") or other things we can do in-game that would never have made it past the Skipper's judgement. Easy to do from the comfort of our home rather than in a rolling boat in the face of the enemy! He has now passed, and I suppose I likely prefer the original Silent Hunter because of fond memories such as these.

Having seen several repositories for data, materials, strategies, and forums come and go online, I am glad to be a part of this forum as a member. Without an online community, we would be lonely wolves of the Atlantic and Pacific.

Good Hunting!
SS385 is offline   Reply With Quote