View Single Post
Old 01-20-19, 04:40 PM   #7220
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Thank you for that detail. I'll check into what happens around there!

From all of the Submarine Patrol Reports I've read thus far for my research into "authentic" PhotoOp and other SpecOps, everyone of them thus far has reports from the commanding officer of "Torpedo tails sighted, turned to comb them" at least once, some multiple times. Here's a small clip from the Spearfish (SS-190) while off Kyushu in the early hours just before dawn on 9 September, 1943 (no initial specific hour mentioned):
"Same general location. Just before time for morning dive sound reported two torpedoes fired at us from 050° relative. Turned toward and dove. Nothing further sighted or heard. The sound man, an experienced 7th patrol operator, later described the noises as a large rush of air followed immediately by high whining noise of varying intensity, followed 10 seconds later by a similar set of noises.

0645(I) = Sighted two Chidori torpedo boats, in line of bearing, conducting echo ranging search on course 110 degrees (T), speed 9 knots. Avoided at periscope depth. They passed right over our morning diving spot on a course definitely not a traffic route...
"
Going by previous times, they were probably about 30 minutes before dawn, visibility poor, so the Chidori at 0645 were probably close by. Sounds like a sub shot at them about 545, withdrew, and then phoned home and called for reinforcements. Every boat seems to have been DF'd at least once, and seen by airplanes every patrol at least once. Unfortunately, every one of them also has at least one story about being fired upon by friendly forces, even after the beginnings of IFF - and even while in "safe" zones...
I repeated the mission from the last CTD. No issue. New message does come in from 80nm out so the message coming in and me being at max time compression is most likely what crashed it.

Did see another issue. A Medium Raked Bow split sitting dead in the water showing 8 knots movement. I even pulled up and came to zero knots to make sure it wasn't moving. Sat there an hour it moved 10 feet. I came to the surface and used the deck gun on it. As soon as I moved up about 20 feet from periscope depth the speed dropped to zero. I used the periscope to monitor it and the only change was my depth from 60 to 40.

By the way on a dark night in November it only takes about 50 deck hits to sink a Wakatake.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote