View Single Post
Old 04-03-19, 08:47 PM   #10
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
I like your suggestions. However a few I think differently about.
Thanks for taking the time to read through and commenting, Pisces, I appreciate the input and have always appreciated your posts. I hope you do join us on Friday!

Quote:
D moves back to aft ballast vent, N to Negative valve, R to dive station. Seems like they all run crossing through eachother's path. Why not have D stay at diving station and negative, R only fwd ballast vents. And N to aft ballast vents. And their movement is as little as possible obstructed by the ladder/conningtower-base. I often got stuck or slowed my movement down.
My intent with having R and D on the vents is that they are already below. Having N go on vents I think may be too late - by the time flooding starts, his feet are probably just then hitting the control room floor from the bridge, it should happen that quickly. D can scoot on the starboard side of the attack scope well to get aft to the vents so as to not interfere with those coming below. R won't get in anyone's way since he just pops to the fwd ballast and then quickly sets planes and is out of the control room by the time D is back to diving station (D has already moved aft). If enough interest is shown for something like this, I intend to sketch out a schematic of how this all would look.

Quote:
Also, I would think that for each situation each crews movement should be the same as much as possible. So it becomes an automated reaction. Not in this situation to forward ballast vents, another to negative valves, then another situation to aft ballast vents. I can see that you gave it enough thought. But its a bit disorganized for my liking.
This is a very valid point, I may need to look closely at that aspect. My thought process was strictly speed - who is where at what time and can do a transitional task while others are elsewhere, until the dust settles and each mans his true station.

Quote:
Approaching from below, wasn't that only with a quick shallow dive? No need to come up from below at deep depths. As far as I can remember from the document. Unless real submariners have a different view.
Could very well be the case. This was the so-called "Durchpendeln", the reason for which was to tilt the boat a few degrees up and down in order to force air bubbles out of the ballast tanks that could cause problems with depth control (and make noise). Obviously not modeled in-game (but oh if it were..), but the practice does allow for a bit more leniency on the planes I feel since D doesn’t necessarily have to concentrate on “nailing” the depth on the way down.. Now as to whether this was done at all depths, that I would have to look into. Good point!

Quote:
I have different experiences with unmanned rudder on the surface. After I turned and left the rudder amidship on a specific heading I still noticed the boat slowly turned a few degrees or so. It interfered a bit with my plotting. That is to say, I had to correct with my attackdisk too much for my liking. This was at max speed iirc. I'm sure that would not make the Navigator happy when this happens. Also when I move around a convoy I often do so with a special kind of intercept drawing and as such a specific course to get my relative motion pointed correctly w.r.t. a convoy member. With this sim I would really like to have a helmsman that stays awake on the job. (As opposed to SH3)
Very interesting, I never must've paid close enough attention - thanks for pointing that out. May need to rethink then (and I've edited OP), but then again the helmsman could throw a glance now an again down at the compass between scans of the horizon. I think the extra set of eyes on the bridge would still be an asset. Never will forget the sleepy helmsman of SH3. I tried the "real nav" trick for a while of hiding own sub and ctrl+clicking to get a "fix" a couple times a day, but then doing the helmsman's job for him was tiresome!

Again, appreciate the comments and I have modified OPs as a result.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ

Last edited by derstosstrupp; 04-03-19 at 10:36 PM.
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote