View Single Post
Old 01-19-12, 10:22 AM   #1
Darkhunter
Watch

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default Aircraft Discussion

After playing the new LWAMI mod I was utterly impressed with the way the aircraft AI function. They ACTUALLY fly now. Awesome.

I want to get more of my friends interested in DW, and I think the way to do that is through aircraft. I searched and searched all over the forums to understand why new playable aircraft---yes, I brought up this dreaded subject---aren't playable. Why can't, for example, an f-14 tomcat or B-2 Spirit be playable? If anyone can give me the general consensus that would be helpful. What I found is that essentially chagning the interface is the biggest obstacle. Aside from that, it seems it can be done. I want to use the P-3 as a base, change the model to something else, modify the "hitbox," alter speed characteristics if possible, and change the weapon loadout. I don't care about the interfaces being the same as the P-3 Orion, or the lack of certain stations (such as acoustic station or camera turret). My objective is to make an aircraft like an F-22/F-16 be playable and able to shoot weapons. That's it. Anything else is an extra (such as ESM and radar). Obviously this is very limiting but the aircraft would serve as a support role, not a standalone platform.

The reason I ask is because I think this would get my friends to give this game more of a chance. A couple are interested but they care more about blowing crap up than learning the difference between active and passive sonar. I made a quick custom scenario of us vs two surface ships and they actually enjoyed that since it was chaos nonstop with missiles flying everywhere.

So I have a plan: start small, go big. First, I want to get them familiar with how the game works by introducing simple concepts that emulate an arcade-like theme. An aircraft that can only shoot weapons is simple and arcadey, right? After they realize there's much more to the game, I'll introduce the P-3 Orion and why it's enjoyable to play. From there I can show how the submarine utilizes a different playstyle but is just as fun if not better.

So, this master plan is dependent upon aircraft being playable. RA team did it with the Tupolev Tu-95 (Bear), I'm curious now just how difficult it would be. I'm eager to learn, but if people more knowledgeable than me can indicate this being a futile effort then I'd rather learn this now than later.

Thanks guys,

Darkhunter

Last edited by Darkhunter; 01-19-12 at 11:15 AM.
Darkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote