View Single Post
Old 11-21-19, 10:39 PM   #118
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

... ... I am now wondering if maybe you are running into one of those infamous "battle" mission files... Do you remember the date and location? We might have to dig really deep.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
After a very successful install of v1.0.1 on my new W10 rig and about a dozen patrols with everything looking great with this game version, I took a newly awarded Gato, USS Haddock, from Midway leaving June 2 '42. So I headed for where I thought I'd intercept the attacking IJN task force on my way to patrol Japan waters and after a few saves and replays I did encounter an Asashio class on June 4 at approximately 22:51 hrs at 174'E,'35 -33'N,20. Numerous sonar lines indicated it's probably a task force, so I decided to shoot this Asashio since it's traveling East (090), 17 kts right in front of me, stormy weather, and I was not detected. Off went two M14s at about 3500 yds. I tracked the torpedoes progress and just as the first one hit, the game abruptly went to desktop, CTD. Repeated with same result 3 times!
How can I help diagnose this one? I have the Save right before the attack.
Since I'm new to Win 10 I followed the Capn's recommendations so yes to LAA and his other suggestions , starting from new SH4 install from CD, then modding with v1.0.1. Standing by as they say!
Whoops! Oldmanitis strikes again, this time in the brain!... - as Emily Litella used to say:

Edit 11/22/2019: OK, there indeed was a duplicate ship name among the Asashio DD, in that (as an example) "Asashio #1" (a space between "o" and "#") and "Asashio#1" (no space) were in there (I do not remember the exact naming). The game will create an automatic name of "Asashio#1" when the first one is entered. It then numbers consecutively up with #2, #3, etc., with no spaces. The "spaced" name was entered by "hand" at some other time. When the game's "interpreter" gets finished with those names, they both apparently equate to "Asashio 1" in the naming conventions. Also, there are a lot of Fubuki DD in there, and the rest were Asashio. No Kagero, no Shiratsuyu, no Yugumo, etc. - there were not that many Asashio in the class, so that has been changed. I also substituted some of the more-appropriate ship Class= calls that we have for CV, CVE, CA & CL. The groups for the most part, seem to have decent groupings, though some are off in routing and timing, and I would almost guarantee them being off in composition, but definitely better than what they were. The groups have also been updated to where no matter when you enter the game, the ship groups should be close to around Midway on June 4, 1942... One caveat: this is the campaign (career) version of the file. I think we had already re-worked the Single Mission file. I'm back into testing the rest for an update.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 11-22-19 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Emily strikes - Findings
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote