View Single Post
Old 11-21-19, 05:30 PM   #116
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
See the attached picture. That is the conning tower from my USS Gar on Game Date 12/14/1942. Note the absence of any SJ antenna, and that the Conning Tower itself looks almost nothing like the ones in your pictures!

And I know you want to ask: Yes, I did a Total uninstall and delete, and a brand new install of SH4 v1.5 (Gold) downloaded from Amazon. It is not in either of the Program File folders - in fact it on a separate drive (G:\Ubisoft\Silent_Hunter_4), Read Only is unset, and LAA shows "True". The only Mods activated are v1.0.1g and the two environmental mods I've been running for a couple of years now - Unmark the sub position and water clarity. Neither have ever had any effect on the operation or appearance other than their intended uses. Not being snippy - just anticipating your questions!
The conning tower explains a ~lot~... while there is no renown payment required for the radar, there is a renown payment required for the "upgraded" conning towers. You have the pre-war conning tower, before the shears had their wrap removed, and the "cut-out" for the rear AA. Look at the pictures I posted about the same boat, but Single Mission configured for June of 1942. The shears only have the framework, and there is an AA platform. That is the improved conning tower, first "upgrade". I use that term loosely, since like a submarine "upgrade", it has to be paid for with a good patrol score and commander ranking. You cannot have a patrol that is below "Average", and especially early, and it is best if you have the first four of them in the "Good" category, which is above 800 renown. If you don't get above that, you are then not eligible for a boat or conning tower upgrade, and hence will not get the SJ radar - ever - until you get a new conning tower. See the "Of Refits.pdf" in the Support folder, which is a copy of one of Ducimus' posts from years ago. This is the reason for us putting extra objective assignments in the "Early" patrols...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
PB, I am using the magnetic, but I'll replay and set torps for contact and let you know. As I wrote, I've played over a dozen patrols, all from Midway prior to this one mission, all ran beautifully. The install on Win 10 went without a hiccup following the Capn's instructions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Hit the Asashio with contact, impact pistol set 5' depth and it CTD again
When using the impact pistol and then the CTD, were there any enemy surface or air assets around, shooting at the Asashio? Here is an example of the explosion I'm talking about when using the magnetic pistols on certain ships:

for whatever reason, I keep getting an error from YouTube about my AsashioTest vid, saying that I have already posted it, yet it is NOT in my library, so I'll keep trying that... digging deeper into the Asashio thang...

More Edit: OK, finally got the YT Manager to agree with me, and it let me delete the duplicates, then publish the AsashioTest vid:

This is from a Single Mission, "docked" Asashio (can't have it gettin' away from me and turning the table on me, now, can we? You could FF to the 2:24 mark, where I set the torpedoes, and then watch the explosions, impact first, magnetic second...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 11-21-19 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Strike-outs and added vid link
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote