View Single Post
Old 02-28-19, 12:11 PM   #29
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
60.000 yards is the maximum practical range to the horizon, but you have to remember that the submarines' radar and ESM reciever are mounted on small masts that protrude only a few feet above the surface of the water, thus drastically reducing the range at which detections can be made. If you surface the sub and raise the masts, you should be able to detect enemies out to max range, but submarines do not transit on the surface.
Is 25,000 yards the maximum range at which the ESM, radar masts of the ships in the game realistically could make contacts? If so, my bad for assuming 60,000 was tenable. Probably should've brushed up on my geodesics before I spouted off about that

Hmm
this wiki page on "horizon" is saying that the horizon from an eye view 1.7m above sea level is 5km!? 5468 yards. I did not realize it was that close.

So I guess the fact that my SH4 crews routinely spot enemy contacts out to ~6 or (if memory serves) even 8 nautical miles (~16,000 yd) under ideal atmospheric conditions reflects the fact that those contacts have masts sticking up 10s of meters above sea level.