View Single Post
Old 11-07-20, 07:10 PM   #439
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Is "Skybird" a synonym for hyberbole? Asking for a friend.
Not that I am aware of. But if one stands far enough on lets say the left side, the rest of the world appears to be right only, and vice versa.

For us foreigners from all across the world, the rifts in your society look deeper and wider than the great canyon, and I expect deepening hostility and deepening hurt from that, because Biden being there or being not there: I cannot see him "healing" it. The mutual hostility and the desire for retaliation and revenge, for pay-back, amongst Republican politicians around McConnell, will see to prevent serious "healing", so will the Trump clan whom I expect to not give up control of the party, but driving its fangs and claws deeper and deeper into it, they press for becoming another lasting dynasty in the American history of many political dynasties.

If you see that assessment, due to its inherent pessimism, as "hyperbole", so be it. I have some historic examples on mind from Europe that make me being anything but optimistic - plus I have always differentiated between America as the idealistic utopia it was meant to be by its founders, - and the practical reality. The first I can mostly subscribe to - but from the latter that past four years have fundamentally alienated me. And I am not alone in that. I probably represent a global majority with that. The view of America has substantially changed, and not for the better.

See, you do not have four years of Trump and then seriously expect the world not having reacted to that desaster and not having altered its view of the US - that would be absolutely demanded too much. That Trump was possible to happen, says something. And its nothing good. And it can happen again: easier than I am comfortable to imagine.

To me, it was a psychiatrically ill madman being at the top of the remaining one superpower. A psychiatric patient. That this was possible to happen, is reason for biggest worries and should happen only in B-movies or top comedies. The fundaments on which it happened, have not changed or disappeared.

It can happen again.