View Single Post
Old 01-20-21, 12:01 PM   #22
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I use a third party site called Elite Dangerous Star Map for my exploration stuff. It tracks all discoveries. A few months ago I flew to Colonia and back as mentioned. That's a long trip

EDSM allows me to see how the star class breaks down. You may be right that KGBFOAM stars should be in the minority, but if so, it's not reflected in my experience.

https://www.edsm.net/

Some stats from that trip

Distance Flown: 53,296
Jumps: 887
Systems: 854
Scans: 6,699
Exploration Data: 536 million

I made tons of first discoveries, thousands, which now all have my commander name on them as first discovery. This was the thing that drew ME to Elite, the notion that I could stitch my name across the galaxy for perpetuity (or until Elite 2 haha)

On that trip I scanned a couple thousand stars, and by far the most common I found was K, followed by M. But these numbers are affected a little because I filter my route planner to avoid some of the least desirable star systems. I am hunting for Earth-likes, Ammonia Worlds and Water Worlds, since these are most valuable and beautiful. So if I filter say T class out, I will find fewer of them (as main sequence). But the bottom line is that even on a trip like this I was never more than a jump or two away from a scoopable. If you become a deep explorer, one who goes away for months at a time, then you certainly can find yourself stranded with no scoopables within range. But for the vast majority of play it won't be an issue really.

Last edited by Threadfin; 02-15-21 at 01:17 PM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote